Oh, please, please help me...lol!

Yep… those are the people who spend a LOT of time at Disneyland.

I don’t think it’s inappropriate for a four-year-old. A four year old would be fine with it, but you know what bores your child. I think my four year old would watch it, be excited about a few parts, but mostly not care.

But in general, I think kids appreciate rides more than shows.

If you want to watch it, if you go just a little off to the side, it’s not out of the question that you wouldn’t have a fairly decent view of the show just by walking up when it’s about to start, especially if it’s the second show (which might be too late for the kids).

Andrea…keep talking! Learning lots of insider scoop! Want to hold my hand during our visit too?

Thanks for the information about Fantasmic. I think we might try to get a view of it from the side. The kids would probably sit through it, but the lure of all the other stuff to do might just be too great.

As Andrea said, the people that line up early most likely are there for a long visit or they are locals(we used to go to the park just to watch Fantasmic and stake out our place early.). If you want to see it you could get a pretty good spot off to the side or wait until the later show. There is also the other option of the dessert package. While costly, it is a nice option to make the most of your time and still get a good seat for the show:happy:

We did the Fantasmic Dessert package when we went last September, the dessert was great! all sorts of stuff, really to much for one person. The show was very good and different from WDW. I’m glad we did it, because we don’t go to Disneyland often.

[QUOTE=yakmom;1109158]Hi there,

We are planning to go to Disneyland this summer…matter of fact; we arrive in California on June 13th around 1 pm. It was our plan to just visit Disneyland for two days (the 14th and 15th), but everyone tells us we must do California Adventure too. I had no idea that when I booked our trip, it would end up to be such a busy weekend (opening of Cars). My goal with scheduling in early June was to avoid the heat as much as possible. Now, I am terrified that is going to be a mad crush. I am hoping some of you might have advice to help make it go as smoothly as possible. I can’t re-schedule the trip…non-refundable tickets and all that jazz. [/QUOTE]

Actually, the “June Gloom” is a great time to visit Disneyland. The weather isn’t overly hot, your only concern is the crowds. And, sadly, with the opening of Carsland in California Adventure, the crowds may very well be brutal. I heard from my Heir Apparent’s family that the opening of Pirates of the Caribbean to accompany the movie was a horrendous line. I suspect you might want to avoid California Adventure entirely, just to maintain your sanity.

I think I stayed at the Park Vue Inn once. It’s a location you can’t beat, no other hotel is closer to the Disneyland Resort except for the Grand Californian. :wub:

Disneyland does some nice things for those celebrating their birthdays. Check in with City Hall.

San Diego is worth the trip. How long will you be there? Having spent nine years of my adult life there, I can give you some pointers if you want to do more than Sea World. :pirate:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1109158]
If you have any suggestions on websites, books or blogs, please let me know. UGH, I am a planner to the extreme and this has thrown me off so badly that I am almost dreading going. This will honestly probaby be the last time we visit Disney until our kids are much older…it’s that once in a lifetime type visit and I really wanted to make it special. Now, I just feel overwhelmed.

We are newbies at Disneyland, only have been there once…but it was just for a day. I just ordered The Unofficial Guide Disneyland 2012 and Lots to Do Inline from Amazon today.

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

This is actually a pretty good forum for advice, though most of the folks are all WDW addicts. There are a number of us who are Disneyland purists so peruse through the Trip Reports for some information that describes some views and experiences.

ANDREA really is good at her job, but if you have any other specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask. :cool:

Thanks so much all! Experiment6-2-6, we will be in San Diego from June 17th through June 21st. I spent a lot of my youth there…visited my mom during the summers, but haven’t spent much time as an adult. We are staying at The Catamaran. It’s not fancy, but having stayed there a few years ago, the kids loved it. It’s on Mission Bay…next to the bay and the ocean is just across the street. We aren’t fancy people, so the location is what we were looking for. We hope to get some beach time in and hopefully some relaxing. I was also hoping to visit Cabrillo, Balboa Park, and perhaps Old Towne. What else shouldn’t we miss?

I chatted with our kidlets and they said they wouldn’t be upset if we didn’t go to California Adventure. I told them that there was soooo much to do in Disneyland, we might be rushed if we tried to squeeze it all in. They didn’t want that. Hopefully, everyone else will want to do California Adventure and forget about little ol’ Disneyland? One can hope right? LOL!

The Park Vue Inn gives the birthday boy a little gift too…and a cake! Complimentary! How cool is that? Since we will be there on his actual birthday (which also is Father’s Day), it should be really exciting for him.

Balboa Park still has the toy train museum, I think. And, of course, the IMAX theater and the Museum of Natural History just across the fountain from there. And they have the Air & Space Museum at the far bottom of the park.

Old Town is a great place, lots to see and do in a short walking space. Some fairly decent restaurants as well.
But my favorite Mexican Restaurant is El Indio - El Indio

You also might consider the following gigs:

Hotel Del Coronado - San Diego Resort | Coronado CA Hotel | Hotel Del Coronado If you are in San Diego early on the 17th, they do a nice brunch I thinks. But it’s a neat place to visit, where Thomas Edison wired it for electricity.

USS MIDWAY - USS Midway Aircraft Carrier | San Diego Museum | San Diego Tours It’s a permanent museum down by the harbor, and worth a visit. This vessel was built during World War II, and spend the majority of her life forward deployed in Japan.

BIRCH AQUARIUM - :: BIRCH AQUARIUM: THE INTERPRETIVE CENTER FOR SCRIPPS INSTITUTION OF OCEANOGRAPHY, UC SAN DIEGO :: I remember when the UCSD had a few glass aquariums and outdoor tidal pool. This has changed, and almost rivals Sea World on its exhibits.

Those are the touristy spots that come to mind.

With California Adventure opening with Carsland, it will hopefully draw away big crowds from Disneyland. Disneyland alone is capable of keeping your family busy, it did so for over forty-five years. :wub:

My three kids are about in your kids’ age range. Many of the attractions (rides) will accommodate your family of 5 in one vehicle. For attractions where a parent can’t sit directly with a child, I usually put my two oldest together and sit directly behind them, while my wife sits with our youngest. In MOST cases, you can put a reassuring hand on a nervous shoulder.

Glad you got the Unofficial Guide. Make sure to read the sections on kids and attractions. The book will discuss the fear level and etc. It will also discuss how to do a ride swap if you have a child too short or too scared for a ride (Basically, you all stand in line together. Just before getting on the ride, one parent steps to the side with the child. When the other parent is done riding, you swap kids and the waiting parent rides. Pretty good system).

Our upcoming WDW trip is the first time all three kids are tall enough for all attractions. I preparing them now for the fact that mom & dad aren’t doing ride swaps this year. In other words, if we both want to ride it, all the kids will ride it–even Tower of Terror.

Welcome to MouseBuzz. The ONLY Disney discussion site where information seekers become family. A dysfunctional family, but still family.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1109322]
Welcome to MouseBuzz. The ONLY Disney discussion site where information seekers become family. A dysfunctional family, but still family.[/QUOTE]

I’m looking around for a “LIKE” button… :wub:

Awe Cavey,
I think this is officially your nicest post ever!!! LOL! Except the dysfunctional family part…:laugh:

[QUOTE=Cavey;1109322]My three kids are about in your kids’ age range. Many of the attractions (rides) will accommodate your family of 5 in one vehicle. For attractions where a parent can’t sit directly with a child, I usually put my two oldest together and sit directly behind them, while my wife sits with our youngest. In MOST cases, you can put a reassuring hand on a nervous shoulder.

Glad you got the Unofficial Guide. Make sure to read the sections on kids and attractions. The book will discuss the fear level and etc. It will also discuss how to do a ride swap if you have a child too short or too scared for a ride (Basically, you all stand in line together. Just before getting on the ride, one parent steps to the side with the child. When the other parent is done riding, you swap kids and the waiting parent rides. Pretty good system).

Our upcoming WDW trip is the first time all three kids are tall enough for all attractions. I preparing them now for the fact that mom & dad aren’t doing ride swaps this year. In other words, if we both want to ride it, all the kids will ride it–even Tower of Terror.

Welcome to MouseBuzz. The ONLY Disney discussion site where information seekers become family. A dysfunctional family, but still family.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again! Yes, Coronado! I haven’t been since I was about 15 years old. So beautiful!

I can’t wait for my unofficial guide to show up. I am hoping it gives suggestions on how to structure your day if you are just there for 2 days.

The Unofficial Guide will definitely help you in that regard!

Just FYI…For anyone out there actually…

I hadn’t read any WDW guidebook in years, so I decided to download the Unofficial guide for 2012 from Books a Million to my iPad. It was only $8 something to download…and I could put it on my iPhone if I want to take it with me.

I’m enjoying reading the information provided…even if I have already been over a dozen times! :laugh:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1109357]Thanks again! Yes, Coronado! I haven’t been since I was about 15 years old. So beautiful!

I can’t wait for my unofficial guide to show up. I am hoping it gives suggestions on how to structure your day if you are just there for 2 days.[/QUOTE]

A lot depends on your family. If you are early risers, you have a number of options.

There is a Denny’s nearby to your Hotel. Since they’re open 24 hours, if you can get up and get breakfast out of the way, you won’t be so starving during the morning…

There is an IHOP as well, but I was less than impressed with their “prices” on the menu, which were horribly inflated as to other IHOP facilities. You might want to skip this altogether, but with children I have found it’s far cheaper to feed them BEFORE Disneyland than while in the Park itself.

Downtown Disney has a slew of Restaurants for lunch and evening. For children, I would heavily recommend Storyteller’s Cafe at the Grand Californian. The food is good, buffet, and not overly expensive. The Blue Bayou was always a must when I took the kids, but after Pirates the cost was unaffordable. New Orleans Cafe is a better substitute for food and a nice atmosphere. :happy:

JAZZ KITCHEN is another restaurant that I frequent when I hit the park. Though I’m not sure of the kids menu, since the Heir Apparent was a teenager by the time we started going there. :cool:

If you have a car, you might consider going a little ways out from Disneyland Proper. If budgetary issues are a concern, further West down Katella is a Home Buffet, which is an all you can eat restaurant where kids can be kids and your pocketbook won’t hate you later. But, apparently, it is now permanently closed… :blink:

If you have money to afford nicer restaurants, I head South on Harbor to Garden Grove where OUTBACK is located off Chapman Ave. :wub:

There’s a CoCo’s and a Target off Chapman as well. And, of course, a Krispy Kreme further down Chapman, though East going almost all the way to I-5, you take City Blvd South just before. :phone:

Hope this helps… :pirate:

I suspect it should, but in case it doesn’t, try to squeeze in a lunch show at the Golden Horseshoe Review, and if possible grab a booth across from the stage. It’s worth a visit. One never gets tired of “Billy Hill and the Hillbillies” show. :wub:

One never does! :wub: I always try to make it a priority. (And instead of a healthy lunch… well… we have ice cream sundaes there.)

Oh, and one er, two more restaurant(s).

I have never been here, but have intended to go ever since I heard of it.

LOS SANCHEZ RESTAURANT is located in Garden Grove, just South of Disneyland.
11906 Garden Grove Blvd, Garden Grove, CA 92843
(714) 590-9300

Los Sanchez Mexican Restaurant

It is a family owned restaurant, and google gives it four out of five stars from 20 reviews.

Oh, and another restaurant that is a favorite of mine is Amazon Brazilian B.B.Q. Buffet :wub:
1445 South Lemon Street, Fullerton, CA
(714) 447-1200 () ‎ · AMAZON BBQ - Brazilian B.B.Q. Buffet

If you like meat, this is the place to go. The waiters come by with plates of grilled meats. You take as much as you want. You will walk away completely gorged. four out of five stars with 24 reviews on Google. It’s not the fanciest restaurant, but it’s tasty. I mean, how many other times do you gets the opportunity to eat gator?

These are the meats offered: (the website has a photo gallery)

Alligator
Shish Kabob
Duck
Galic Steak
Lamb
Picana
Pork Ribs
Quail
Rabbit
Turkey & Bacon
Chicken
Rib Eye
Skirt Steak
Top Sirloin
Tri-Tip

I would recommend it! :pirate:

We just stayed at the Park Vue in April - loved the location.

I would probably go with just 2 days at DL as well and forget Carsland/DCA. I also would not bother with Fantasmic - it is enjoyable, but the wait was long to get a good viewing spot.

Thanks for the recommendations! I had no clue there was even a Downtown Disney until this forum! How crazy is that? So, my plan is to visit Downtown Disney the day that we get there to get the kids excited about Disney. Just walk around and maybe eat some ice cream or something. Then, we’ll get up very early (we are all early risers) and be at Disneyland before they open. Since our hotel is right across the street, we thought we would play until our little guy started to get tired and then head back over to the hotel for a nap. Our hotel offers a free basic dinner…chicken nuggets, mac and cheese…so we are going to try to take advantage of that and save some money, but we will need to eat lunch at Disneyland.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Character spottings? I know the kids will want to see as many as possible. Is there a better place to go to find them or are they just all over the park? Oh and are the same characters at Disney and CA…or different? I mean…do all the characters visit both parks or are they kind of divided up?

Sounds like a plan! Glad I could help out. Actually, it makes me miss the Resort even more, as it has been two years since we were last there. :crying:

I haven’t a clue about their whereabouts. City Hall might give you some information, or someone who has worked at Disneyland from this forum might know… :pirate: