Oh, please, please help me...lol!

Here’s a few places I’ve seen characters show up:

Right as you enter the park in the morning, you’ll usually find several characters to the right. Usually there’s at least one member of the fab five, maybe two.

At the far end of Critter Country, there’s a Pooh & Friends photo op set up.

Characters are likely to show up near the big rolling ball area in Tomorrowland.

That’s all off the top of my head… but yes, ask at City Hall.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1109577]Here’s a few places I’ve seen characters show up:

Right as you enter the park in the morning, you’ll usually find several characters to the right. Usually there’s at least one member of the fab five, maybe two.

At the far end of Critter Country, there’s a Pooh & Friends photo op set up.

Characters are likely to show up near the big rolling ball area in Tomorrowland.

That’s all off the top of my head… but yes, ask at City Hall.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm…let me think…

I’ve seen Stormtroopers and Buzz show up by their respective ride areas in Tomorrowland. :cool:

There’s the “Princess” area toward the back of Fantasyland, but this may not be a draw for your group. :laugh:

Aladdin used to have a photo-op area set up in Adventureland, roughly between Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise, as I recall. :genie:

While you’re in Fantasyland, keep an eye on the carousel – Bert and Mary Poppins occasionally go for a ride while they’re out and about in their “jolly holiday” costumes. :flowers: It’s also where I’ve seen the Alice characters most often, although she and the Hatter have appeared on Main Street as well.

And, of course, the occasional :pirate: may show up, right where you’d expect.

[QUOTE=yakmom;1109552]
Does anyone have any recommendations for Character spottings? [/QUOTE]

Well, two more tidbits. This is a website for the “unofficial” guide to Disneyland…

Disneyland - The Largest Unofficial On-Line Guide to Disneyland California

But I noticed that one of the blogs discussed character breakfasts… Which, of course, would include spottings. But I guess that depends if you want to pay for the opportunity to do so.

But this person wasn’t all that thrilled with dinner, except for the corn chowder and dessert. But it’s worth at least going to the website for the photographs.

Culinary Quest: Storyteller’s Cafe Dinner Buffet at Disneyland’s Grand Californian Hotel | The DIS Unplugged Disney Blog

That being said, I also noticed that the Matterhorn will not only be open, they’re putting on a new coat of snow, including more snow on one side, less on the other, which is much more accurate based on precipitation… Gotta love the geekiness in that! :wub:

I hope you truly enjoy your two days in Disneyland, as well as the short trip to San Diego. :pirate:

If you’re in it for the familiar characters, I think Goofy’s Kitchen is a better choice for breakfast.

Storyteller’s has Chip and Dale and “forest friends”, most of which I know my kids don’t know.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1109640]If you’re in it for the familiar characters, I think Goofy’s Kitchen is a better choice for breakfast.

Storyteller’s has Chip and Dale and “forest friends”, most of which I know my kids don’t know.[/QUOT

Is Goofy’s Kitchen in Disneyland or Downtown Disney?

[QUOTE=yakmom;1109682]
Is Goofy’s Kitchen in Disneyland or Downtown Disney?[/QUOTE]

Goofy’s Kitchen is in the Disneyland Hotel… so it’s at the end of Downtown Disney.

Thanks so much! I can’t wait until amazon finally ships my book! Then, I won’t have to annoy you all with my questions. Definately appreciate all the responses though.

…I’m not able to help you with DL, because I have only been once, but you are helping ME learn, by asking your questions. That’s not a bad thing at all. Sometimes I learn things on here I didn’t know I NEEDED to know! And I am an avid Disney fan!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I’m sorry you’ll be missing out on California Adventure, but there is plenty to do at Disneyland. I know that I’ve seen characters from the Incredibles at DCA, that I haven’t seen ar DL, but thats about it. Disneyland has way more character spots, and its usually on an entertainment guide they hand you when you walk through the gate… if not, ask for it since it will help you plan your day. Another thing you might want to check out if you pass on Fantasmic, is the Magic, Memories, and You. It’s a show that is projected onto the small world facade, and is pretty informal. You dont really have to stake out a good spot, but can just head over there a few minutes early.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1109685]…I’m not able to help you with DL, because I have only been once, but you are helping ME learn, by asking your questions. That’s not a bad thing at all. Sometimes I learn things on here I didn’t know I NEEDED to know! And I am an avid Disney fan!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:[/QUOTE]

How true. Keep asking so we can all enjoy an electronic adventure to DL.

Got my Unofficial Guide and I have poured over it. Our first day will be June 14th, which also happens to be a day when others can get in early to the park. Since I think we will just be getting two day tickets, we won’t be able to get in early. Before the book, I was hoping to get to the park super early, wait at rope drop and quickly head to Fantasyland so the kiddos could do those rides first. However, the book makes it seem like it will already be a mad crush and we should do a different touring plan that day…however I know our littlest two would really love Fantasyland. What is your experience? Thanks in advance!

On Thursday, yes, there will be people in Fantasyland… but fewer people than there will be any other time of day. It will fill up just as fast, to about the same levels, on Friday morning.

Peter Pan will always have the major wait. But everything else Thursday morning should be pretty manageable.

Friday I expect there to be a rush toward Fantasyland first thing, because that’s Matterhorn’s official re-opening. But that should only affect the Matterhorn, not the rest of Fantasyland.

I honestly don’t think it matters.

Oh, could we have possibly picked a worse time to go? LOL! Yes, the Matterhorn won’t be open that first day…but will re-open the next. Hey, is there a thread on here that really talks about the Fast Pass system? I am kind of confused.

Fastpass at DL is different from WDW.

Here is how FP works:

[ul]
Near certain rides- I’m sure your book has a list- there will be a “Fastpass Distribution”.[/ul]

[ul]Posted on this sign will be a “FastPass return time”, an hour window. That tells you how long it is until you can return to the ride with your FP.
[/ul]

[ul]You will NOT be allowed into the FP line earlier than your return window. However, they have historically been lax about returns that occur after your window is up.
[/ul]

[ul]To get a FP, put your admission ticket into the FP machine. Your ticket will pop right back out, and your FP will come out of a different slot.
[/ul]

[ul]You can get another FP when
[LIST] Your window opens on your current FP (ie, your FP return time is between 1pm and 2pm, it is currently 1:10. You don’t have to have used your first FP, the window just needs to be opened), or
[/ul]
[ul]Two hours have passed. It’s possible that you got an FP at 8am that isn’t good until 2:45pm. Even so, you can get a new FP at 10am in that situation.
[/ul]
[ul]***It will tell you on the bottom of your FP exactly when you can get a new FP. It’s in small print. But it’s there.
[/ul]
[/LIST]

[ul]When you return, the “Fastpass Return Line” will be clearly marked. [LIST]Before getting into the line, check the length of the Standby line. If the Standby line is 10 minutes, there’s no reason to use your FP. Save it for later that day. It will not be good another day.
[/ul]
[/LIST]

[ul]At the beginning of the FP return line will be a cast member who will look at your FP to make sure you are not earlier than your window or trying to use FPs from a different day. Later in the line will be a second CM who will physically take your FP from you.
[/ul]

Does that help? Questions?

Keep in mind that it will be crowded. But luckily for you, a majority of the crowd will be headed to California Adventure which reduces the stress you normally would have. Also, the Matterhorn isn’t really in Fantasyland (as I define it: Everything past the moat, then it spills East with Alice’s Tea Cups and It’s a Small World…

The Matterhorn and Finding Nemo are more in the realm of Tomorrowland… So with the Matterhorn back online, most of those in Disneyland will be flocking there…

The key is to relax, and realize that you are in Disneyland. Yes, there will be some extensive wait times involved. I always tried to multi-task with my heir apparent, so that he didn’t get “bored” while waiting in the ever growing lines. I suspect that the first impressions of being in Disneyland will be such that your children may not realize the crowds… But the biggest difference I’ve noticed with WDW is that they put the lines “inside” the ride, so as to free up walk space outside. Disneyland didn’t do that, so there are multiple poles and chains that can clog up walkways. But you might bring along some activity items to keep the kiddos entertained during the standing in line. :pirate:

Thanks! Ok, I was confused on the part of when you can get a new one…you explained it very well. I was thinking that you could only have one fast pass at a time. I was thinking that it would be a bummer if you got a fastpass, but couldn’t use it for many hours and weren’t allowed to do any other fast passes. Perhaps, you could copy/paste your comment Andrea on the thread about fast passes? I read that one, but it basically mentioned the rides that had a fast pass system. This information would be really helpful to those who find that thread and are trying to figure it all out.

Oh, and Experiment…I bought the book, Lots To Do In Line…hopefully that will keep the kiddos busy and entertained. Plus, I am planning to bring some snacks and they can munch on those while we are waiting.

I have now read my Unofficial Guide front to back. I have also been reading disboard. I guess I am just not “feeling” the Unofficial Guides touring plans. It says they are for those with small children and doing two days, but they have us starting to do the fast and furious stuff first. With the kids being so little, I think we should kind of break them in before starting too big of stuff. For example, the first day they recommend the very first thing we do at 8:00 is Splash Mountain. I haven’t been on Splash Mountain since I was about 15 (15+ years ago), so I can’t really remember much about it, except that we get very wet. Do you think that is a smart ride to do first? Other first ride recommendations are Pirates and Haunted Mansion. My kids aren’t chicken, but I would think if we start out with these first few, they might start to get a little gun shy about the rest of Disneyland. We are arriving on Thursday, June 14th which as I mentioned before is an early morning entry day. I do want to maximize our visit there, but I am so confused about how to start our first day. Any suggestions? I want them to really feel the magic, just so unsure of where to even start. UGH! We’ll be going on Friday too, but I feel like Friday will go a bit more smoothly because we can just hit the things we didn’t get time to do on Thursday and if we have time, go revisit some of the kids’ favorites.

Just in case anyone does have some ideas, I think we can safely leave out Nemo ride. When we went for the one day a few years ago, we didn’t really care for it. Does anyone know if 3 people can fit in an Autopia car? Two littles and one adult? We are really close to my daughter being tall enough… but I think she will be one inch shy of driving by herself. So, that leaves me and hubby trying to figure out how to get the three kids on the ride.

Well, you’ve stumped me. I don’t know if you can put three people in an Autopia car. I’m inclined to say no. But I don’t know that definitively.

Fantasyland first seems like the best choice.