Oh, please, please help me...lol!

You’ll be fine getting three in your car. The seats are quite spacious for two, and especially if you have two kids they’re not going to split you up.

Play it safe when going with kids. Don’t force them to go on anything they don’t want or they’ll hate it (and possibly you) for a long time to come. As for touring guides, I tend to avoid them. General rules are to hit the busy stuff first (the Mountains, Matterhorn, Fantasyland, etc.) and then work your way wherever. Especially in Disneyland, start from the left side of the park (Adventureland) and work to the right, because most people either go to the right or through the middle. Take your time. Do the favorite stuff first, then go to back or to other rides as you please. Don’t try to rush it or you’ll all be tried and grumpy. As for riding Splash first…unless you want to be walking around with wet clothes all day, I would say don’t do it. You can ask to sit in the back, but, in my opinion, it’s not nearly as fun. Your best option would probably be to ride it as you’re going back to the hotel. Pirates and Mansion are pretty tame (Pirates more so than Mansion,) but if they’re really young or easily scared, I might skip them. Explain that it’s just a ride, stay close to them and keep talking and they should be fine.

Whew. That was a lot.

I’m with Julie.

I think you’ve got two choices based on your parameters.

1. Go to Fantasyland first so you can “break the kids in”, so to speak. No, it won’t be perfectly empty because of the people who have early entry, but it won’t be as bad.

2. Follow the Touring plans Dumbo-or-die plan, just skipping whatever you don’t want to do at first, such as Pirates and Haunted mansion. You can always go back and try them again later. The lines will be longer as a consequence, but it works with the rest of what you want.

Thank you! I was hoping we could squeeze three in…we might have a fight over who drives, but at least we can ride it!

[2. Follow the Touring plans Dumbo-or-die plan, just skipping whatever you don’t want to do at first, such as Pirates and Haunted mansion. You can always go back and try them again later. The lines will be longer as a consequence, but it works with the rest of what you want.[/QUOTE]

YES! I really like the Dumbo plan…I was thinking to follow it, but didn’t know if it was too ambitious.

If we follow the Dumbo plan, but would like to try to add in Space Mountain and/or Splash Mountain, where in the plan would you recommend we send a runner to get a Fast Pass for them?

I think my initial recommendation to you was correct. Stick with Fantasyland or Toontown. Both are relatively stress free and enjoyable. If, for some reason, they become bored, you can step up your game and do the E-Ticket rides. I suspect the reason the guide suggested these rides is that their lines become insanely long as the day progresses… :pirate:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1112287]

YES! I really like the Dumbo plan…I was thinking to follow it, but didn’t know if it was too ambitious.

If we follow the Dumbo plan, but would like to try to add in Space Mountain and/or Splash Mountain, where in the plan would you recommend we send a runner to get a Fast Pass for them?[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I have no idea. I remember the name of the plan and the general idea of it. :laugh:

Really, though… the earlier the better. Whenever you see there’s a time available, send a runner!

Yes…another question from me. So, we have two day-1 park tickets. We won’t be going to Carsland. Is it possible to upgrade our tickets after we get there to 3-day tickets? If it really is a mad crush and we can’t get nearly all the things we want to get done, I wondering if we could buy another day after we get there and experience a day.

Oh, and what are e-tickets? Are those fast passes? Thanks!

E-tickets are not Fastpasses. An “e-ticket ride” is a reference to the old ticket books, where the “E” level tickets were for the newest, fastest rides. Now things like Space Mountain and Star Tours are referred to as “E-tickets”.

Upgrading is no problem as long as it is done BEFORE your current tickets expire.

Newbie survives Disneyland!

I posted several weeks ago about our visit to Disneyland during the opening of Carsland. We only planned to do Disney for two days, on the 14th and 15th of June. Well, I am back to say our trip was a huge success and all my planning worked out very well!

Here’s a rundown:

Our party included my husband, myself and our three kids (ages 4, 6, 9). I was very stressed about our trip because CA would be closed on the 14th and the 15th was the opening of Carsland and we all know how hyped it was on the boards and how big of a crowd opening day would involve. Because we only had two day-one park tickets, we didn’t have access to early morning entry, so that posed another problem.

With my heart nearly pounding out of my chest, we lined up outside the gates on the 14th. We were the first in line. Once they started taking our tickets, we made a bee-line to Adventureland. I had my turning plan in hand, thanks to The Unofficial Guide online (paid for the online subscription for a personalized plan…$6 for one year). Once in Adventureland, we realized we were the first people in there or at least it seemed. We rode our first ride, the Haunted House, with only two other people. Did Splash Mountain next…empty car, after empty car, we even had the option to not even get off and ride again. We wore our ponchos so no one got wet that early in the morning. We proceeded into the rest of our touring plan and had success everywhere we went!!!
Both days of our visit went pretty seamless! We waited in line no longer than 10 minutes for any ride and over the course of the two days; we did almost every single ride (some of them twice). We used our fast passes as advised. Took our 3 hour break mid-afternoon for naps and swimming. We arrived at the park gates both days at 7:00 am and left around 9:30 pm. Our kids were troopers and made it so much fun!

Two days to visit Disneyland was ample for our family. Our kids told us that they honestly didn’t think they could do another day even if we had tickets for another day. They were pretty wore out and felt like they had done everything they could have possibly wanted to do.

Things we’ll remember forever…

Took advice from Disboard about how to get our kids picked for Jedi Training, and they got picked!

Daughter wore Chip and Dale shirt to parade and Chip and Dale were so stinkin’ excited to see her shirt they ran over and hugged her, nearly lifting her off the ground.
Splash Mountain broke down with us on the ride, right before the first drop. Next time attempting to ride it, made it to the very front of the line and they shut it down…due to some riders getting a random rash and they had to send in one of Disney’s medics to check them out and had to do a thorough investigation of the ride. Bummer…we had to leave the ride again!

Sat in the front and center of Billy and the Hillbillies and the main Billy character noticed our son was missing his two front teeth and proceeded to offer him his (the fake, funky teeth he wears for the show)…and made him part of the show for several minutes, until son was in tears. Whoops! It was pretty cool to be part of the show though. LOL!

Overall, very great visit to Disneyland. We are planning our next trip in three years, where we plan to get a 4 day pass and see Carsland!

So how do you get picked for Jedi training? Little DD3 would have loved that but I know that it’s limited to 4 and up… so maybe next year? (She LOVES Darth Vader and her souvenir of this year’s trip is a red light saber.)

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114580]Newbie survives Disneyland!

I posted several weeks ago about our visit to Disneyland during the opening of Carsland. We only planned to do Disney for two days, on the 14th and 15th of June. Well, I am back to say our trip was a huge success and all my planning worked out very well!![/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it. Are you going to do a Trip Report? :wub:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114580]
Here’s a rundown:

Our party included my husband, myself and our three kids (ages 4, 6, 9). I was very stressed about our trip because CA would be closed on the 14th and the 15th was the opening of Carsland and we all know how hyped it was on the boards and how big of a crowd opening day would involve. Because we only had two day-one park tickets, we didn’t have access to early morning entry, so that posed another problem.

With my heart nearly pounding out of my chest, we lined up outside the gates on the 14th. We were the first in line. Once they started taking our tickets, we made a bee-line to Adventureland. I had my turning plan in hand, thanks to The Unofficial Guide online (paid for the online subscription for a personalized plan…$6 for one year). Once in Adventureland, we realized we were the first people in there or at least it seemed. We rode our first ride, the Haunted House, with only two other people. Did Splash Mountain next…empty car, after empty car, we even had the option to not even get off and ride again. We wore our ponchos so no one got wet that early in the morning. We proceeded into the rest of our touring plan and had success everywhere we went!!! [/QUOTE]

Glad to know the plan worked out! :cool:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114580]

Both days of our visit went pretty seamless! We waited in line no longer than 10 minutes for any ride and over the course of the two days; we did almost every single ride (some of them twice). We used our fast passes as advised. Took our 3 hour break mid-afternoon for naps and swimming. We arrived at the park gates both days at 7:00 am and left around 9:30 pm. Our kids were troopers and made it so much fun!

Two days to visit Disneyland was ample for our family. Our kids told us that they honestly didn’t think they could do another day even if we had tickets for another day. They were pretty wore out and felt like they had done everything they could have possibly wanted to do. [/QUOTE]

I am glad the trip to Disneyland went so well for both you and for your children. Every family is different. I think eight days straight was the longest I ever went. But if you spaced out the time correctly, it’s good to know your children were satisfied. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114580]

Things we’ll remember forever…

Sat in the front and center of Billy and the Hillbillies and the main Billy character noticed our son was missing his two front teeth and proceeded to offer him his (the fake, funky teeth he wears for the show)…and made him part of the show for several minutes, until son was in tears. Whoops! It was pretty cool to be part of the show though. LOL! [/QUOTE]

I am so glad you got to the Golden Horseshoe, Glad your son got to participate! :laugh:

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114580]

Overall, very great visit to Disneyland. We are planning our next trip in three years, where we plan to get a 4 day pass and see Carsland! [/QUOTE]

We are waiting with baited breath for the fist time we will be able to leave island and get back to Disneyland. (It’s been two years now) Now both Carsland and World of Color are the must see events. :pirate:

A) Do NOT let Voldemort see that you wrote “baited breath”. This will get you into trouble.

B) I hope you get to go SOON!!! :happy:

Glad your trip worked out the way you wanted it to, and that you had a great time!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He’d be doomed right now, if it weren’t for his correct uses of “your” and “you’re” earlier in the day. :happy:

Knock wood, we’ll make it back next year. :cool:

[QUOTE=Voldemort;1114591]:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He’d be doomed right now, if it weren’t for his correct uses of “your” and “you’re” earlier in the day. :happy:

Knock wood, we’ll make it back next year. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Not only correct uses, but the use of “your” and “you’re” in the SAME POST… :pirate:

Andrea,

I read the thread on Disboards about getting picked for Jedi Training. Here are some of their no-fail recommendations:

1. Arrive early and get a spot on the blue line. We got there about 20-25 minutes early.

2. Wear an easily identifiable shirt or outfit. As you know, they have all the kids line up on the blue line a few lines deep. Well, the guy who picks them out, picks them out by calling out what they are wearing. Our kids wore matching, neon yellow shirts (we packed them in our backpack to wear for the training). As he was looking over the audience, he scanned to our side and said, “the two kids dressed in the brightest colored shirts I have ever seen.” LOL

3. Make a sign! I made some quick signs that the kids could hold. On the Dis boards, everyone that had their kids hold a sign got picked. Our kids were the only ones in the audience holding signs though, but based on everyone else’s reports, the signs really helped.

4. If you have more than one child that you want to get picked, put them in matching shirts and have then stand next to each other. That way they know they go together. There were other kids that had matching shirts and sunglasses…those boys got picked as a pair too.

Jedi Training was such a great start to our Disneyland adventure! The kids were over-the-moon excited to get picked.

[QUOTE=yakmom;1114630]Andrea,

I read the thread on Disboards about getting picked for Jedi Training. Here are some of their no-fail recommendations:

1. Arrive early and get a spot on the blue line. We got there about 20-25 minutes early.

2. Wear an easily identifiable shirt or outfit. As you know, they have all the kids line up on the blue line a few lines deep. Well, the guy who picks them out, picks them out by calling out what they are wearing. Our kids wore matching, neon yellow shirts (we packed them in our backpack to wear for the training). As he was looking over the audience, he scanned to our side and said, “the two kids dressed in the brightest colored shirts I have ever seen.” LOL

3. Make a sign! I made some quick signs that the kids could hold. On the Dis boards, everyone that had their kids hold a sign got picked. Our kids were the only ones in the audience holding signs though, but based on everyone else’s reports, the signs really helped.

4. If you have more than one child that you want to get picked, put them in matching shirts and have then stand next to each other. That way they know they go together. There were other kids that had matching shirts and sunglasses…those boys got picked as a pair too.

Jedi Training was such a great start to our Disneyland adventure! The kids were over-the-moon excited to get picked.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! But do you think a sign reading, “Darth Vader is my hero!” would help? :laugh:

Hello and welcome to MB! I haven’t been on in awhile, but just spent 2 weeks in California in April…One day in DL is plenty! Save a day for California Adventure Park…my boys are 8 and 11, and they like California Adventure much better! Our FAVORITE part of the trip was Sea World…(This may not be a popular opinion,but we liked it better than DL). Don’t plan on too much time in Hollywood…2 hours is more than enough!

About 10-15 minutes south of Anaheim is the Santa Ana Science Museum…we spent all day there. My boys had a blast. They also love Universal Studios, and a little drive to Newport Beach with a whale watching cruise is always a possibility. I too am the ultimate planner:laugh:…to the extreme! Also we did the Pirate dinner adventure show which was a 10 minute drive from DL…an absolute BLAST!!.

It was definitely a vacation of a lifetime! Good Luck and have a great time!

You wouldn’t be the first! :laugh: (you’ve probably already seen it, but it’s cute!)
Sariah Gallego Joins the Dark Side (Star Wars) - YouTube