Ok, I admit it. I am a Disney World snob

We went to our first trip ever to Disneyland California. Boy was I dissappointed. We do Disney World Florida every year and didn’t realize how spoiled we had become.

Here is when we knew it would be an interesting vacation:

• When we parked in the simba lot and realized that there was no tram to the park
  • When a lady driver in the parking area almost ran into our car by turning in the wrong direction from what the disney cast member directed her
  • When the disney cast member ‘cursed at her’
  • When we past by one of the Disney hotels to see two kids ages 6yrs and 10yrs wearing swimpers and playing in the sprinkler’s
  • When we saw kids that were 8 years old or larger, fighting to fit into strollers offered by the park that was way too small for them
  • When we noticed that there was a plastic barrier around a ride that we see at all amusement parks which stops people from spitting on others - as we were told by the cast member who ran the ride (it shoots you up then drops you).
  • When we saw the chipped paint, and some of the rude cast members at various areas of the park.
  • When the crowd almost trampled my 5 year old when we were standing behind the parade trying to get out of the park and the people didn’t even say excuse me.
  • When we had to walk all the way back to our car in the simba lot

Lastly, when I made the decision that if I was going to spend $99 for a day ticket to Disney…it would only, ONLY be at Disney World :angry:

[QUOTE=nitaworm;973561]We went to our first trip ever to Disneyland California. Boy was I dissappointed. We do Disney World Florida every year and didn’t realize how spoiled we had become.

Here is when we knew it would be an interesting vacation:

• When we parked in the simba lot and realized that there was no tram to the park
  • When a lady driver in the parking area almost ran into our car by turning in the wrong direction from what the disney cast member directed her
  • When the disney cast member ‘cursed at her’
  • When we past by one of the Disney hotels to see two kids ages 6yrs and 10yrs wearing swimpers and playing in the sprinkler’s
  • When we saw kids that were 8 years old or larger, fighting to fit into strollers offered by the park that was way too small for them
  • When we noticed that there was a plastic barrier around a ride that we see at all amusement parks which stops people from spitting on others - as we were told by the cast member who ran the ride (it shoots you up then drops you).
  • When we saw the chipped paint, and some of the rude cast members at various areas of the park.
  • When the crowd almost trampled my 5 year old when we were standing behind the parade trying to get out of the park and the people didn’t even say excuse me.
  • When we had to walk all the way back to our car in the simba lot

Lastly, when I made the decision that if I was going to spend $99 for a day ticket to Disney…it would only, ONLY be at Disney World :angry:[/QUOTE]

It’s too bad that you had a less than stellar visit to DLR and you were disappointed. It’s tough when crowds are not as courteous as they should be, but honestly, I’ve had the same experience with exiting crowds being rude at WDW too.:closedeye

I know they used to have a tram for the Simba parking lot, but maybe they did away with it. It has been a while since I wasn’t a guest staying on property so it’s a shame that they did away with that.

I believe you are talking about the Maliboomer ride at DCA…that has the shields on it??? Those are not acutally spit gaurds…or barf gaurds:blow: as we were jokingly told one time. They were added to the ride a few weeks after opening as “scream shields”. Apparently they had complaints for the surrounding community that the guests screams were carrying from this ride.

I do agree that the number of rude CM’s has increased over the years, however, I have noticed it at both resorts.:crying:

Wow, I am shocked to be honest. I’ve also been visiting WDW frequently since I was little and to be honest once I started going to Disneyland I absolutely kept returning because I loved it so much. I’ve had the exact opposite experiences that you’ve explained though; I personally have always found the guests more laid-back, less of the rude ‘don’t get in my way’ attitude, prestine grounds & environment, food is WAY better in my opinion, and easy-going CMs.

I love different things about each park. I hate that you had a bad experience.

Friday will be my first trip to WDW but I went to DL last year in July. We arrived at the park before it opened and the tram was there waiting when we got out of the car. The park was not crowded at all. We waited maybe 5 minutes if that in line to ride the rides. I loved DL but we will have to see once I return on the 20th from WDW which park we will be returning to next year.

I am so sad that you had some not so great things happen at Disneyland. I have like some others had both good and bad happen at both Disneyland and WDW.
I know that I personally notice the size of WDW vs Disneyland. There are still a huge number of people who frequent Disneyland as well as WDW and in turn there is more overall property at WDW for people to spread out.

Your are going to be in HEAVEN at WDW. Just you wait and see!!! :laugh:

we ave never been to dL but have noticed the quality of wdw cm decreased in the past few years… there are also more non English speaking cms[ not college program ] that dont have a clue what you are asking for or how to answer. however every trip we find at least one cm that still has the disney attitude that makes it worth while.

Well, with it being very hard to make my DH let go of a dollar. He even said that he was glad we went, at least 1 time. However, if we had to pick where we wanted to spend our $$ next time, it would be WDW. The experience there is just so much different. If I would have done Disney land first, I don’t think it would have been so bad.

I’m sorry your trip wasn’t what you hoped it would be. I’m glad you got to go, it’s something I have always wanted to do and I know one day I will.

I would love to visit Disney California and maybe somday we will

Here is a funny one…my friends took their 4 children to DL last Jan and when they got there the kids cried. They are used to WDW…I cracked up when she told me this!!
I <3 WDW, but I still want to hit the West Coast version!!

I’m a WDW snob as well. I saw fireworks last night and the first thought I had was “not exactly the Magic Kingdom!”

I am sorry you didn’t have as wonderful of an experience as you would have liked. I think you really have to go to DL with a different mindset. My sister lived near Anaheim up until recently and we got to go to DL as much as we did WDW during those years when we visited her. I remember going there for the first time and seeing Sleeping Beauty’s castle and not getting anywhere near the same feeling you do when you see Cinderella’s Castle for the first time. Everything is just smaller it seems and I know many people who have gone there and been disappointed because they were expecting something more like WDW.

LOL, I said the same thing to my gf last night!

I’m sorry to hear you had such a terrible visit. If I’m being honest, I think that your visit to Disneyland was of a rare breed - it sounds like you got the short straw when it comes to bad experiences with CMs and other guests. (Which some Disneyland veterans have experienced on their first trip to WDW as well! It seems to work both ways.)

I agree with Wishy - I usually find Disneyland to be in BETTER shape that places at WDW, and with nicer CMs for the most part. But all of Disney’s quality is coming down in recent years, so the cracks are kind of starting to show through at both WDW and DL. It’s unfortunate.

Also, Peppertink is right about the shields on the Maliboomer - they are NOT for spit, barf, or any other bodily fluid. :laugh: I asked about that when I first started working there, and was told that Disney didn’t want to add shields like that in the first place (because they didn’t want to give the impression of being just an “amusement park” as you pointed out), but the screams carried so far from this ride, they received hundreds of complaints from residents in the Anaheim area. So they added the shields a few weeks later to correct the problem.

I’m sorry you felt like DCA was just another amusement park. Disney’s goal was to create the feel of an old seaside boardwalk, but give it a Disney twist. It’s not supposed to be similar to any of their other parks, so some people don’t find it appealing on their first visit (or two!) But I think if you gave it another chance, you’d find it really enjoyable.

I hope you’ll give DL another try someday! It is very different from WDW, but it has many things going for it that WDW does not. (Intimacy is one of them.) Unfortunately in the summertime, DL feels even more crowded than WDW because of the fact that the parks are so much smaller, there are only 2 of them versus 4 parks + water parks in WDW, and the fact that many of the people who come to DL are locals. WDW doesn’t get as many “locals” who are directly in the area, and with so much more space for all the guests to spread out in, it feels a lot easier to breathe there than it does at DL!

That’s too bad that your DL vacation had some not so pleasant moments! DH and I went to DL last November and we had quite the opposite experience. Crowds were nil, CM’s were courteous and spent more time with us than at WDW. We stayed at the Disneyland Resort and found the entire DL area small, quaint and all within easy walking distance. I found the experience very intimate and it really brought me back thinking about how this is where it all started with Walt. Very reminisant for me.

Pirate fans, POC is longer and better at DL! I would love to see that version again!

Was it a Disneyland vs WDW experience or just another “Welcome to California” experience?

I didn’t have a single one of the negative experiences you had at DLR, but I also much prefer WDW to DLR. We did find it to be more crowded, less friendly and more worn that WDW. But I guess that’s to be expected. They have been there much longer and fit enormous crowds into less space.