OK - Senior Citizen - HELP!

OK, I am taking my mom to Disney with us from Christmas till just past New Years. She will be 77 at the time and she is pretty healthy. She plays tennis on a regular basis and gets out a pretty good bit.

That being said, her age does catch up with her as she tends to crash pretty hard if physically straining herself for full-days. I don’t know if she is ready or aware of the amount time she will have to spend on her feet.

Does Disney have motorized chairs? Is there a rental? Anyone have any experience with them?

I believe Disney has regular push wheelchairs and the motorized scooters. I don’t know that I’ve seen a motorized char rental at WDW. However, there are companies in Orlando that will do length of stay rentals for you.

I know nothing about this company other than I’ve heard of it. I’m sure there are other similar companies to look at as well.
Scooter and Wheelchair Rental

Wheelchair/Scooter/ECV FAQ

I found this link on allears and it gives the prices and places that you can rent them!

[QUOTE=apayne111982;974857]Wheelchair/Scooter/ECV FAQ

I found this link on allears and it gives the prices and places that you can rent them![/QUOTE]

Awesome information.

My Mom is only in her late 60s, and she tires out from the walking and the heat. We sometimes put her on a bus and send her back to the room when she gets tired. OR, we’ll let her have the morning to relax, read and then one of us will go and pick her up to join us at the park, for dinner, show, etc.

She doesn’t mind, because she likes to go at her own pace, yet she’s there to see the grandkids have fun.

My in-laws, both with health issues, argued last year that they didn’t need assistance. That may be true on individual days, but sustained activity day after day is another question all together.

They used motorized scooters from Walker Mobility, and admitted it allowed them to stay active longer. We had the sore feet at the end of the day while they scooted ahead after fireworks.

Another MB’er had mentioned this company and they were great to deal with and good info available on their site: Walker Mobility 3 Wheeled Electric Scooter & Wheelchair Rental and baby stroller rentals for Central Florida visitors

:laugh:It’s kinda like the stroller question… maybe not at home but definantly at WDW.

My FIL used a rental last December. We also had some things worked out where he and MIL took afternoon breaks from the pace of the parks.

The rental was a snap - they had it waiting when he checked in and picked it up after they left.

Yeah, the bus will be used and I have told her a million times already that she is free to come and go as she wishes - it is VACATION. The only things she needs to be at are our dinner reservations…and with cell phones, meeting up should be easy.

I really feel that if she used the scooter thing that she wouldn’t miss a thing though. I might have to talk her into it but it would be worth it.

She will enjoy the trip so much more if she is not exhausted! Have a wonderful vacation!

ok, now how do I ask a VERY abled 77 year old that she might want to consider a scooter w/o offending her?

I focused on saving energy for playing rather than “spending it” walking.

A lot of…
“if you’re tired the next day, you may need to take care of yourself and just rest, maybe take a down day and stick around the resort…” and segue into " I know a lot of people use those scooter things just when they go to Disney… just to save the feet and the energy…"

Kind of an Energizer Bunny outlook…:laugh:

Good luck - it took me about 4 months of gentle prodding.

Very carefully. :laugh: My dh and I are senior citizens (a little younger than your mom), both in good health and we do fine walking around the parks. We do sit from time to time to people watch or have a Mickey bar :blush: and we go back to our resort after lunch for a short break if we do start feeling the heat, but other wise, we do fine. We were able to keep up with our dd and dgd last year. Had a blast. If after a day or two at the park she feels she needs one, then get her one. Let it be her decision though.

“Very carefully. My dh and I are senior citizens (a little younger than your mom), both in good health and we do fine walking around the parks. We do sit from time to time to people watch or have a Mickey bar and we go back to our resort after lunch for a short break if we do start feeling the heat, but other wise, we do fine. We were able to keep up with our dd and dgd last year. Had a blast. If after a day or two at the park she feels she needs one, then get her one. Let it be her decision though.”

Thanks - I needed that perspective.

[QUOTE=whitba;974939]I focused on saving energy for playing rather than “spending it” walking.

A lot of…
“if you’re tired the next day, you may need to take care of yourself and just rest, maybe take a down day and stick around the resort…” and segue into " I know a lot of people use those scooter things just when they go to Disney… just to save the feet and the energy…"

Kind of an Energizer Bunny outlook…:laugh:

Good luck - it took me about 4 months of gentle prodding.[/QUOTE]

PS - my in-laws had them booked for August before I even realized they were planning a second trip! :laugh:

Tell her MB recommended it (blame it on us)!

My Mom used a scooter service, which was wonderful for her and her health issues (bad arthritus) whereas she really couldn’t do Disney unless she had a scooter. There are a couple of downfalls I just want to point out in considering using one.

Very hard to manuever in crowds. No matter what you do to try and avoid running into people, it’s just going to happen because everyone walks in front of you. So that may be a little stressful. Also, getting the scooter on the buses. My Mom was not comfortable driving and parking them on the bus, so I had to do it for her each time. If your Mom wanted to come and go as she pleases, would she be comfortable with getting on and off the bus herself. Also, the battery life. This could have been just my Mom’s but they said the battery would last all day, but hers seemed to konk out maybe an hour before she really was ready to be done for the evening.

Not to be negative, because the scooter has allowed my Mom to enjoy things she definitely wouldn’t have been able to, but just wanted to point out some facts.

I had no experience with a scooter, but I could see me or DH having the same problem as bethishooked mentioned. I feel so bad for the people trying to load a scooter over and over and they know 7 million people are watching. I’d go with the “go ahead and ride space mountain 12 times, I’ll just sit here and wait” method.