OK to miss school for Disney World?

Well, it’s that time of year again…buzz starts about free dining & my DH gets all excited --he’s a sucker for a good deal! The free dining is what really makes it affordable for us, a family of 5. We’ve gone 3 years in a row now & each year I have a little more guilt about taking the kids out of school :confused: so here’s my question—is it okay for kids to miss 2-3 days of school for a family vacation to Disney World? We absolutely refuse to go to DW in the summer (heat, humidity, crowds plus no free dining!) so that pretty much leaves late August, early September…any thoughts??

I took my two oldest(ages 8 and 6 and 9 and 7 at the time) to WDW in successive years while school was still in session and made sure their teachers were ok with it. It would be tougher now that all 4 are in school and the 2 oldest are now 14 and 11. I say it all depends upon the age of your kids. Tough decision indeed.

OK, tough decision… but it is only 2-3 days, not the full week… I say, talk to the teachers, but go, and have fun.

my daughter is going to miss a week of school starting Feb.1
she is in kindergarten, so maybe that is why it’s not any issue with her teacher or school…also each student in her school is allowed 10 unexcused absences per year…so 1 week missed only = 5 days.

look at the school’s “days absent” policy…
also, age , grade level and academic performance are also important to consider.

We always go the first week of Dec. I’ve always taken my kids out of school. From grade school thru high school. I’ve always contacted the teachers ahead of time and asked for their assignments ahead of time so the kids wouldn’t behind when they returned. Some teachers were more cooperative than others but it’s never been a problem. Oh and I also called the school’s attendance office to alert them of their absence.

Yes… your kids truly get incredible benefits from making childhood memories with their entire family, all playing and having fun together. I can’t say it enough… your kids will remember the trip and enjoy the stories and the photos forever.

Especially if you or your husband (or both) work full time and so usually have limited time with the kids. That’s the situation we were in, and the time that our kids spent with their dad as a full-time, happy, relaxed playmate at WDW was GREAT!!! It made them so happy!

Definately depends on the child, the school, the teachers and the parents.
Personally, I think it’s fine. I missed two weeks of school almost every year growing up to go on our Disney vacations, and I was able to maintain very high marks throught all my years, and for the most part, had the blessing of all my teachers.
It also depends on the parent’s careers as well. My DH and I both have different careers that require extra attention from us during the summer months. It just wouldn’t be feasible to travel during that time.
Just be prepared for some extra catch-up time depending on the teacher and the grade, and enjoy the trip!!

Also, if you are looking at September, think of it this way…the kids have all year to make up for the time off!!:laugh:

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Our DS7 will just be starting 2nd grade, DD13 starting
8th grade & DD4 PreK…Our DD has never had a problem but it was a bit tougher for DD13 this year to catch up - still honor roll but required more work on her part - plus the trip was a surprise for the kids so they couldn’t do any of the missed work until we got back…something to consider…

WE have done it for the last three years, we just contact the teachers get the assignments and it hasn’t been a problem.

I have taken my kids out of school for Disney when they were younger. The last time I did that, mine were in high school, and asked if we could not do that anymore because he missed something important that affected his grade. So, it depends on the age, and the student. If it happened to my older one, he wouldn’t have cared that it affected his grade, but my younger, it was a big deal to him. I respected his wishes, and now go during their time off of school.

I really think it depends on the student. It’s so much easier when the kids are younger, as they get older there’s more work and the work is harder. As long as everyone understands that the grade may be a little lower for a period of time I don’t see a problem.

I have taken my boys out of school before also. Our next trip they will miss 8 school days. (I saved $450.00 by flying out Wednesday instead of Thurs):ohmy: They are in 3rd grade and Kindergarten. I let both teachers know at the beginning of the school year that they would miss school near the end of the year. I will ask for assignments the week before and we will spend the weekend before we leave doing make-up work (I WLL NOT bring homework on vacation----it’s my vacation too:wub:)
I use this as incentive to keep my boys from faking sick:laugh:I told them that if they miss any school before our vacation I would have to cancel it:laugh::laugh:Neither has missed so far!
I only worry about the 3rd grader. He is an excellent student, but routinely has 30-60 minutes of homework each night:angry:This may be hard to make up

I say it’s definitely ok. Childhood memories of being with the family will be with them for their lifetime. The days of school they missed won’t matter a bit as they get older. Take them out of school and have a wonderful time!!

I have done it 2007, 2008, and 2009. It is too hot in the summer and the rates are better that first week of December. My oldest is in high school and she neer has a problem transitioning back. Enjoy your trip.

My middle child’s school wanted to be a little funky, but then they came around.

O.K., so look at it this way. When we were kids, school started in early September and got out the first week of June. Now, it starts in early August and gets out the last week of May (give or take a week depending where you are).

So, the way I see it, you take them out for a week and they still get two or three weeks more of education than we ever got and look how great we all turned out!!!

All kidding aside, we’ve done it several times but now, we homeschool so no issues at all. We call it a BIG field trip!!!

Just did this in Oct. Only had 1 day for fall break so we took the girls out the following week as well. At the beginning of the year we notified the teachers of this. As time came closer DD10 & DD11’s teachers were very cooperative about the makeup work, but neither would give it to us until the day before we left, which meant homework on the trip. DD14’s teachers were not so giving, to the point of refusal of giving prior assignments. We were told to ck it daily on the computer for the assignments, even after I told her we would not have computer access where we were going, she still refused. :mad: Needless to say we had a LOT of work to chatch up on, work her teacher didn’t want to allow since it wasn’t an excused absence but did anyway. DD14was miserable for weeks after, as the other 2 were when making them take time out each day for their work.
So, any many have posted it all depends on age, grade, teachers etc.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1014537]Just did this in Oct. Only had 1 day for fall break so we took the girls out the following week as well. At the beginning of the year we notified the teachers of this. As time came closer DD10 & DD11’s teachers were very cooperative about the makeup work, but neither would give it to us until the day before we left, which meant homework on the trip. DD14’s teachers were not so giving, to the point of refusal of giving prior assignments. We were told to ck it daily on the computer for the assignments, even after I told her we would not have computer access where we were going, she still refused. :mad: Needless to say we had a LOT of work to chatch up on, work her teacher didn’t want to allow since it wasn’t an excused absence but did anyway. DD14was miserable for weeks after, as the other 2 were when making them take time out each day for their work.
So, any many have posted it all depends on age, grade, teachers etc.[/QUOTE]

Really? That is wrong! I am and advocate of education, I went to college, and expect that by children will also, but everything we learn in life does not take place in the classroom. It sounds petty to me, as if the teacher feels undervalued because you are taking a vaction during “their” time. I for one refuse to take homework on vacation…I will work with my children diligently before and after, but family time is more important to me. Having said that if my children struggled academically I would not even consider allowing them to miss school, but the last time I checked I’m pretty certain that I was the parent.:pirate:

When our children were in the lower grades, we would take them out for two or three days if it ran into a holiday or teacher’s convention. Once they were in middle school, we stopped. There was just too much make-up work (even with homework done on the trip), and we didn’t want to take the chance that catching up would be too difficult.
When they’re younger, teachers are much more accepting and willing to provide assignments and make-up work. In middle school, teachers are dealing with different groups of kids working at different levels, and it has to be harder for them to plan work for a kid’s vacation and to be available to help them catch up when they return.

In all the times I took the kids out, never did we get the homework assignments until after we returned. I would talk to each individual teacher, and all of them had the same attitude that although they have a gameplan of what needs to be completed, each class is different as they may spend more time on one item, and then breeze through the others. So, kids would come back from Disney, collect from each teacher what was handed out during the week they were gone, and then they had the same amount of time to turn it in (off 5 days, so have 5 days to turn in).