Ok, Upgrade yes or no? If yes, then where?

So, here is the deal. I am planning a trip for November with my two soon to be ex-roommates, their mom, their sister and her daughter and their other sister. The trip is a combo last hurrah for me and the roomies, 30th birthday party for my one roomie and first trip for their mom, sisters and niece (she’s 4).

The plan is to go as cheaply as possible specifically to make it more economical for the one sister who has to pay for herself and her daughter. We are doing free dining and getting two rooms and the plan right now is to stay at Pop Century and upgrade to the Basic DDP.

BUT…my one roommate (the one whose birthday it is) was just saying that she will be sad to not be staying at Port Orleans Riverside this time which is where the three of us stayed on a trip in 2007. I have been contemplating trying to surprise everyone by using my accumulated Disney Rewards points to upgrade to a moderate. It will only be about $400 more total. I figure that what is not covered by my Rewards points (I just had a 5x points offer so I have a lot) I will cover myself and consider it a birthday gift for my one roomie.

The question is, number 1, should I bother doing it at all or just stay at Pop Century and be happy with that? I have never stayed at Pop so that is something to consider.

The second question is if I upgrade, where should we go? Birthday Roomie loves POR because we stayed there before and the rooms there have the added bonus of the trundle bed for the little one. I thought POFQ could be nice because their mom has some trouble walking and it is much smaller and easier to get around. Then I was tempted by CBR and the pirate rooms, mostly because Birthday Roomie LOVES pirates. Like seriously loves them. Of course, that would be more money than either of the other two, so I also considered a regular room at CBR since they have all been recently redone.

Thoughts, anyone?

Stick with Pop and make some new memories.
If you want to do something special with your points as a surprise treat them to a special dinner, shopping or else do something like matching shirts. Since there’s 7 of us going on our next trip I thought about getting shirts with the 7 dwarfs matching each personality with a charac.
Tough one, best of luck whatever you decide.

Don’t you get the reg DDP for the free dining with a mod or deluxe resort? I didn’t do the count but if all those people are willing to pay an extra 10 bucks a day to upgrade the dining plans won’t that absorb most of the 400 bucks?

Exactly my thoughts. I say upgrade to a mod to get free regular DDP instead of staying at Pop and having to pay the difference to upgrade the DDP.

If you’re driving a car, parking will be much better at POFQ.
And the others are right about free dining. If it’s offered while you’re there and you’ve got a group of 4 adults (anyone over 10), you’re talking a $40 per day swing from the quick serve dining plan, which will pretty much negate your savings from staying at Pop instead of a mod.

Thanks for the input everyone. Even with the upgrade to the basic DDP, the difference in cost between Pop and a regular room at a moderate is $377.68 ($184.84 for one room, $192.84 for the other). With a pirate room, the difference is $602.56 which when I think about it is probably too pricey for me to upgrade and surprise everyone with. So really, I guess my choice is between Pop and a reg room at one of the moderates.

What is the 5x offer you received and how?

You need two rooms, correct? Or, am I miss counting. Not a lot of difference between POP and some of your moderates. We have had issues with so many people that the bus service seems inadequate and there is no hot tub and no sit down restaurant, but the food court is wonderful and kids LOVE it - even better than some of the mods and deluxes. :blink:

I received a postcard with a pin number to register my card for 5x the Rewards points on spending in certain areas over a certain amount- airfare, groceries, etc. I have no idea how I got it. My mom is always jealous because I receive them a lot but she never does and the pin is non-transferable.

I have received two of these postcards in the last 12 months so I have racked up a fair amount of points.

Yes, we need two rooms. There will be 3 adults in one (me and my two roomies) and three adults and one child in the other. I was partially leaning towards the moderates just because of the space issue. It’s been about 9 years since my last stay at a value and I remember the room seeming small. I worry with more than two adults in each room if it will seem really cramped.

we’ve had 3 adults + in a value and we did just fine. But then we didn’t hang out in the room either. Slept, showered, dressed and out.:happy:

Have you thought about using some of your points to upgrade at POP to a preferred room it would be I think 15 a night more per room to upgrade and be closer to the main building as well you could request a first floor pool side rooms that would give you all easier access and possible table access just outside of your room.

Yeah I received that 5x offer also, I was told by an operater at Chase that you either got that or a Free dinning offer for the most part. one but not both.

either way enjoy and good luck

Upgrade to a DVC property. Treehouse, a grand villa someplace or a combination of studios whatever. Beg borrow or steal points from Dad. :laugh: Split the cost based on rental rate of $10-13 and I’ll bet it STILL works out out cheaper.

For me personally it would be Pirate Rooms because my whole family loves pirates. But For you and the situation, I think staying is good and also moving to the POR is good too. I think whatever way you go making it known you need the hospitality section for the Mom would be your best bet. The niece will have fun no matter what but have you seen the kiddie pool section at the BC? I could have played there for hours. I’ll try to post a picture but I’ve never done it before…that I remember, pregnant brain.
Think it’s done. The place was huge.
But do what’s right for all of you.

I like the way you think but all of my parents’ DVC points are accounted for for the next couple of years. None to beg, borrow or steal. LOL

I will look into rental possibilities though. Thanks for the thought.

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;985165]So, here is the deal. I am planning a trip for November with my two soon to be ex-roommates, their mom, their sister and her daughter and their other sister. The trip is a combo last hurrah for me and the roomies, 30th birthday party for my one roomie and first trip for their mom, sisters and niece (she’s 4).

The plan is to go as cheaply as possible specifically to make it more economical for the one sister who has to pay for herself and her daughter. We are doing free dining and getting two rooms and the plan right now is to stay at Pop Century and upgrade to the Basic DDP.

BUT…my one roommate (the one whose birthday it is) was just saying that she will be sad to not be staying at Port Orleans Riverside this time which is where the three of us stayed on a trip in 2007. I have been contemplating trying to surprise everyone by using my accumulated Disney Rewards points to upgrade to a moderate. It will only be about $400 more total. I figure that what is not covered by my Rewards points (I just had a 5x points offer so I have a lot) I will cover myself and consider it a birthday gift for my one roomie.

The question is, number 1, should I bother doing it at all or just stay at Pop Century and be happy with that? I have never stayed at Pop so that is something to consider.

The second question is if I upgrade, where should we go? Birthday Roomie loves POR because we stayed there before and the rooms there have the added bonus of the trundle bed for the little one. I thought POFQ could be nice because their mom has some trouble walking and it is much smaller and easier to get around. Then I was tempted by CBR and the pirate rooms, mostly because Birthday Roomie LOVES pirates. Like seriously loves them. Of course, that would be more money than either of the other two, so I also considered a regular room at CBR since they have all been recently redone.

Thoughts, anyone?[/QUOTE]

When yo say it will [COLOR=“Red”]ONLY[/COLOR] be about $400.00 more you lost poor folks like me. I just booked 6 days at All Star for
$366.00
subvetss

I would upgrade to a moderate but would consider Coronado Springs since they have queen beds in most of the rooms now. Or rent points.

POR is just so fantastic. It’s practically perfect, and worth the extra investment, if you can pull it off!

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;985165]So, here is the deal. I am planning a trip for November with my two soon to be ex-roommates, their mom, their sister and her daughter and their other sister. The trip is a combo last hurrah for me and the roomies, 30th birthday party for my one roomie and first trip for their mom, sisters and niece (she’s 4).

Thoughts, anyone?[/QUOTE]

I just reread your post, and I don’t think I understood all the info before.

The extra $400 is just the cash part you would put out? You would still use a lot of reward points (which to me, is worth cash too). So we could be talking about 5 or 6 hundred points/cash (or more), right? If that’s the case, I’d go with POP and maybe do a few special things. Maybe get a photo pass CD for the group. With the little girl, getting all those pictures with the characters would be great. Before DVC, we stayed at POP several times and loved it. The only drawback is the double beds at POP. But if everbody are little tiny skinny people, you’re fine.

[QUOTE=subvetss;985810]When yo say it will [COLOR=“Red”]ONLY[/COLOR] be about $400.00 more you lost poor folks like me. I just booked 6 days at All Star for
$366.00
subvetss[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying, just as I’d rather stay 3 nights at POP vs. one night at POLY.

But you’re talking about a room only, KARENWDWCP is talking a whole different ball game. She needs 2 rooms, there will be extra adult charges, package including free dining (of some sort) and tickets. When you start adding a little for this and that, pretty soon it’s 3 million dollars.:laugh: