Okay, teachers, what do you think?

Our family has not been to WDW in 2 years. Last year we instead opted for a foreign trip to go to Spanish language school and travel together to see Guatemala. This year, back to Disney. We may not go again for another 2-3 years, so we wanted to make this a great trip.

We started with our traditional 8 days, with Free Dining! Then invited DD’s friend, who had gone with us 2 years ago (with her mom and dad, but mom Cannot do rides, amusement park or airplane). So Friend and Dad are flying down for 5 days!

So we needed more time. Oh! and then we found out that Primeval Whirl will be under refurbishment from Sept. 2 - Nov. My DH oddly collects all Pins Chester and Hester, so we wanted to ride before it closed…so

We got the 10 day ticket, and extended our stay to 12 nights…starting on Labor Day.

Now, we live in the south. Its hot down here. But for some reason, school starts during the hottest month of the year. My DS9’s first day of school is Aug. 11 and my DD11’s first day (at a NEW middle school) is Aug. 14.

The new middle school SAID they were very supportive of family vacations during school time (I am holding on to this thought the most!), but she is starting a challenging middle school program and I worry…

We have taken DS9 out of school for a week of WDW twice and not a problem…they are both A students and we get their work for them so they do it on the trip…

but now it is only 27 days away and I am afraid we are making a mistake??:ohmy:

Please tell me this is OKAY! Or what I should do to make it okay (but the trip will go ON! It is the guilt I am worried about at this point :laugh:

My DH says “tell them we are going on a mission trip - Mission Space!”

Any help?

You know your kids better than anyone! They sound like bright kids who can afford to miss days of school, and for that you are very lucky. Family trips don’t come along very often so if your instinct says to go for it, go for it. Plus, it’s early in the year when it’s not real intense stuff anyway (at least it isn’t up here). If you’re worried about your middle school DD, ask her how she feels about it. That might give you the answer. Good luck with your decision!

If the school is supportive I think you should do it with no worries. You’re making memories and life experiences here. I don’t like when my students take off for that long of a time, but I’d much rather it be done in the beginning of the year rather than later. It doesn’t sound to me like in the long run it would be a problem. I think maybe I’d discuss it with your daughter and make sure she doesn’t feel awkward about it, otherwise enjoy and don’t fret.

I am not a teacher, but we contemplated this very same thing and here is the rationale I used:

Over the past few years we have lost a lot of loved ones, and we wished we spent more time enjoying their company. So, the schoolwork can be made up, and you can even take some with you while you are on vaca (not that much it is vaca afterall), but the memories you make as a family can never be replaced. The time away from school will not determine if your child gets into Yale or Harvard vs. any other school! Enjoy one anotehr while you can and however you can!

You know your child best.Would she be ok to miss this much school.If so do it.Just remeber you may have to teach her the work she missed.The rule in our MS is you as the parent took the child out of school for vacation you as the parent need to make sure they know how to do the work they missed.

My best friend is a teacher and I have discussed this with her many times. My oldest won’t be in “real” school for almost 2 more years and I already worry about Disney vacations. I don’t want to go when everyone else is there. I want to go in off season, when school is in. She says that she has no problem with it as long as the child is doing well and is able to catch up. I say go for it- family vacations are important. Go to Epcot- it is educational!!

It is hard to have a child miss school and they won’t make up everything they miss in school regardless of what is sent home. Luckily, your children seem like they can miss school without much trouble. This would not be the case for many students who can’t even afford to miss just one or two days. They are lost when they return despite the best efforts of parents.
Enjoy this trip without guilt. I wish more than anything that I could go off-season but can’t since I teach. It may be the last time you can do it!

When I taught HS I really appreciated it when a parent sent me a note or came to visit me a few weeks ahead of time to let me know what the situation was and asking me what work they could do on the road. And then the student would remind me about a week beforehand as well.
I also had several students who waited to let me know they needed their homework assignments for the next ten days the at the end of the day the day before they left. :glare:
I think as long as you give your teachers ample time to come up with assignments (since they will have to differ than normal classroom assignments especially the middle schooler) is best.

Thanks, guys, for all the support. We will contact the teachers right away, and I figure I will be helping a bit at the new MS anyway this fall, as it is a big change from our public ES she has been attending.

We will try to use the sat/sun before labor day to get most of the assignments done, then we can go with a clear conscience and try to set some type of good example: i.e. work first,then play! I believe it will be a memorable trip for sure.

I have to be perfectly honest here. I think that is to much school to miss.

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;860444]Our family has not been to WDW in 2 years. Last year we instead opted for a foreign trip to go to Spanish language school and travel together to see Guatemala. This year, back to Disney. We may not go again for another 2-3 years, so we wanted to make this a great trip.

We started with our traditional 8 days, with Free Dining! Then invited DD’s friend, who had gone with us 2 years ago (with her mom and dad, but mom Cannot do rides, amusement park or airplane). So Friend and Dad are flying down for 5 days!

So we needed more time. Oh! and then we found out that Primeval Whirl will be under refurbishment from Sept. 2 - Nov. My DH oddly collects all Pins Chester and Hester, so we wanted to ride before it closed…so

We got the 10 day ticket, and extended our stay to 12 nights…starting on Labor Day.

Now, we live in the south. Its hot down here. But for some reason, school starts during the hottest month of the year. My DS9’s first day of school is Aug. 11 and my DD11’s first day (at a NEW middle school) is Aug. 14.

The new middle school SAID they were very supportive of family vacations during school time (I am holding on to this thought the most!), but she is starting a challenging middle school program and I worry…

We have taken DS9 out of school for a week of WDW twice and not a problem…they are both A students and we get their work for them so they do it on the trip…

but now it is only 27 days away and I am afraid we are making a mistake??:ohmy:

Please tell me this is OKAY! Or what I should do to make it okay (but the trip will go ON! It is the guilt I am worried about at this point :laugh:

My DH says “tell them we are going on a mission trip - Mission Space!”

Any help?[/QUOTE]

As a school administrator I feel that family vacations and family time are very important. Nowadays, unfortunately, it takes two families to work to make ends meet. This means, therefore, that sometimes vacations have to be scheduled when the calendar is open for everyone. I would suggest that maybe you tell the principal or teacher, or both, that your children will turn this experience into an educational one. Maybe they could write/journal about their experience. Pictures would enhance the writing a lot. Maybe they could look at Disney from a historical perspective and interview Disney cast members to find out hidden “nuggets” of information that could be used. Maybe they could study individual rides and use data/information provided by Disney to prove certain theories of physics. The possibilities are endless. Maybe you could also ask the teacher to give a “special” assignment that would pertain to something they were currently studying. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask me. Goodluck!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Classic!

Don’t feel guilty. If your child is in a challenging program, and they are a good student, they will catch up rather quickly. If the school supports family vacations, then by all means have fun and stop worrying!