OKW question

Hey all, we are thinking of renting points at OKW for our next trip. I just looked at a youtube video of a tour of that gorgeous resort. I had never looked at the resort before.

Are there any opinions on the service at that resort?, then please post it here.

:happy:

Hi, Iris! I have stayed at OKW twice and really enjoyed both of my stays. I have stayed in a studio and a two-bedroom villa. For obvious reasons, the two bedroom offered more space and was a more comfortable stay.
That being said, the studios offer about the same space as a stay in a deluxe resort.

What I liked about OKW:

1. Beautiful rooms
  2. Boat to DTD
  3. Fantastic Cast Members
  4. Bus service (never waited for than a few minutes)

What was not so good:

1. Lack of food options - we like to eat at the resort while on a break. This didn’t work well here. Their snack stand for fast food is seriously limited, but that’s because it is a DVC and most of the rooms have kitchens of some sort. My point is, this is not a food-friendly resort for people who do not intend to eat at the parks often or cook their own food.

Other than the lack of food options, I have no issues during my vacations there. I would hardly even consider the lack of food options something that would hold me back from staying there again.

I agree with Dana! The only thing I might add is that the rooms at OKW are the largest square footage of any of the DVC resorts. I have stayed 3 times and almost always have had great bus service. The food service is seriously lacking. The small QS is outside seating, and the way it is situated if it is raining you cannot even order without getting wet. Olivia’s, the TS option, is good though and you can actually get in quickly even without an ADR.
I don’t know if this is different than the other DVC properties, but most of the buildings do not have an elevator, so if you have a third floor unit you get your exercise!

I stayed at OKW once and loved it. As mentioned in previous threads, busses were spot on. I’m thinking because it being the oldest DVC resort, they have ironed out the kinks and the bus route flows well.

The atmosphere of the entire resort is so relaxing. Its really a tropical paradise, with all the plants and landscaping. Also, although we have never driven, I would imagine to be able to park right in front of your villa would be very convenient.

We have also stayed at OKW twice on rented points. Studio and a 2 bedroom. We LOVE OKW! It is beautful, laid back and perfect after a long day at the parks. Even during Thanksgiving week the bus service was good and only once did we have to stand. I must agree about the QS it is inadequate. The staff at the front desk are WONDERFUL!!! Very helpful and friendly!

Could you post a link for that video? There are so many bad videos that I never bother to look, but if you’ve seen a good one, I’d love to check it out!

OKW has been our favourite resort since we first stayed there in 2000. We’ve stayed at every DVC property except BLT and although all are great in their own ways, no resort compares to OKW for us.

The size of the suites is absolutely ridiculous - in a GOOD way! I’ve always said I could happily live at OKW in a 2 bedroom villa. Dana’s post says it succinctly. The only real negative is the “quick” food service. On the other hand, Olivia’s is one of those “sleeper” restaurants. We’ve never had a bad meal there. The cast members are some of the friendliest at WDW. The whole resort has a very “homey, laid-back feeling”. It’s very relaxing. I’m sure, by now, all the suites have been refurbished and they’ve done a lovely job.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Dana, I hear ya about the food options but I don’t think that would be a problem for Mike and I. We always stayed at POR, as you know, and hardly ever grabbed something there. The boys had breakfast there once…

I have always known that our Llama loves this resort but she travels with a car. So to read that the buses are fine is wonderful.
The boat to DTD is important too. It is one thing that kept us going back to POR.

This is the resort I am going after for November. Yippeeee. Now let’s hope that the flights are not too expensive like the last time.

:ph34r: Heehee, Mike, who didn’t want to go back for another 5 years, got shnozzled last night and I railroaded him into a promise. Muaahahahaaaaaaa :hook:

:biggrin: OKW Walking Tour :biggrin:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1099192]Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Dana, I hear ya about the food options but I don’t think that would be a problem for Mike and I. We always stayed at POR, as you know, and hardly ever grabbed something there. The boys had breakfast there once…

I have always known that our Llama loves this resort but she travels with a car. So to read that the buses are fine is wonderful.
The boat to DTD is important too. It is one thing that kept us going back to POR.

This is the resort I am going after for November. Yippeeee. Now let’s hope that the flights are not too expensive like the last time.

:ph34r: Heehee, Mike, who didn’t want to go back for another 5 years, got shnozzled last night and I railroaded him into a promise. Muaahahahaaaaaaa :hook:[/QUOTE]

The Dining really wasn’t that big of a deal. We had stuff in the fridge in the room and barely used the place after we understood it was the same food and the hours were seriously limited.

That boat to DTD is a gem and why I also always loved the PO resorts. OKW is just a PO resort on steroids!

Good for you for tricking him into a promise…sneaky dopey:laugh:

[QUOTE=Dana;1099198]

Good for you for tricking him into a promise…sneaky dopey:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I can be crafty when I really, really want something :ph34r:

Shnozzling always works!!! :laugh: So glad you get to go sooner than you thought. I’ve come to the conclusion that out of all the times of year I’ve gone, November is my all time favorite.

You make us so proud!:crying:

Yes, always November for us because of the weather and low crowds. I just read that the first two weeks in December are even better, if not less expensive. so, I am shooting for December 1-10 and hope it is the right decision.

I thought so :laugh: