Old Key West opinions

So we are staying at OKW for the first time for Thanksgiving week in a studio. I’ve read mixed reviews on allears review section. So what do you think? Any location better than another? I’m excited but nervous too. We’ve only stayed at one other DVC and that was SSR 2 years ago for Thanksgiving week. We really liked it there, how does OKW compare? Thanks!

We absolutely love OKW! Yes, it is a little older than the other DVC properties, but that just means the grounds are more mature and really are beautiful. It’s a very quiet resort with a “village feel”. Olivia’s is a very nice restaurant. And the main pool is fun with a sand castle slide. The bus service is good as a rule and you don’t share with anyone. And you can take the ferry to the Marketplace. The studios are roomy with two queen beds and a small balcony. They are comfortable. But because there are two beds, there is no sofa. Just a small table and two chairs. The mini-kitchen has a small fridge and a micro-wave. (The one & two bedroom suites are much roomier than any other DVC property.) Our personal favourite area is Building 45 or 46. They are on the banks of the Sassagoula River and very quiet. The first couple of buildings on Old Turtle Pond Road are also good. On Millar Road the buildings in the “60’s” are probably the best - location wise - you can choose from two bus stops and are steps away from the main pool, Olivia’s and Hospitality House.

I was pleasantly surprised when we stayed at OKW. Never would have considered it, but it was the only DVC resort with an available studio at the time. Totally beautiful with all the mature landscaping. The boat is great for DTD, and very impressed with the buses. Never waited more than 5 minutes for one. The larger rooms are a bonus also.

We had a one bedroom for a night and I really liked it. I just can’t justify it for a childless couple.
If however you are camping a tribe, or even 4 adults, it’s great.
The biggest reason I have for not staying in a room with a kitchen is that I’ll be tempted to cook, and the last thing I want to do is cook.

Now that I think about it, OKW reminds me a lot of Florida condos (I wonder why that is:blink:). No wonder it feels just like home:glare:

We stayed in a 2 bedroom in 2006. We loved it and would stay there again!! The grounds are beautiful and we found it very quiet!!

Seeing that I am going to be staying at OKW in March next year (reserved a 2 bedroom suite), I am glad to see this thread.

With the renovations that are going on there, has anyone posted pics of what the new rooms look like, especially the 2 bedroom type? I would love to get an idea of our future accommodations.

I like Old Key West, I’ve only stayed in studio accomodations there. I will say that some of the non-refurbished old rooms are pretty icky. I’ve had two rooms there that were definatley not up to the ‘norm’ of Disney standards as far as cleanliness & repairs go. The first one was so bad we actually called management into the room to see it & I could tell they were visibly embarrassed. So, if possible, see if you can get into one of the buildings with the refurbished rooms.

Othwerwise, the common areas are nice, having the boat to DtD is awesome, Olivia’s is one of my favorite WDW restaurants, and I’ve always had fast & consistant bus service at OKW. I prefer to be in a building near the Hospitality House, but that’s just a personal preference 'cause the resort is so big.

http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_Disney_World_Resorts/_ResortAssets/Old_Key_West/Disney_Old_Key_West_Resort_Map.pdf

Sorry I hit the wrong key. But the above link will show you the grounds and how the buildings are positioned. When I was there in April I stayed in Building 22. It was nice, but it was very far from the main building. It didn’t really matter to me since we didn’t use the resort, except to sleep. We spent all of our times in the parks and DTD. If I had small children and wanted to use the main pool, it would have been to far.

We have stayed twice in a Grand Villa with my sister & her family :wub: - they are DVC members : ). The Grand Villas are huge!! We love Old Key West! The first time we were across a large grassy area between our building & the main building. We wanted to get some things from the gift shop & it was much closer to cut across than walk around. It was dark so we walked across with a flashlight. My DBIL had a cow when he found out - there are supposed to be alligators there!! :ohmy: The next time we were really close to the main building, restaurant & pool :happy: The buses were great - we never had to stand, and never waited too long. The resort is beautiful! We have eaten at the pool food stand - standard burgers & chicken fingers. The pool slide is fun. I would love to go back :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KingOMiami;1052936]Seeing that I am going to be staying at OKW in March next year (reserved a 2 bedroom suite), I am glad to see this thread.

With the renovations that are going on there, has anyone posted pics of what the new rooms look like, especially the 2 bedroom type? I would love to get an idea of our future accommodations.

We stayed in a newly refurbished suite last month. I posted pictures of it in my trip report. They did a beautiful job! Gone is the old green carpet, replaced by hardwood floors, new granite countertops in the kitchen, new roman blinds, new upholstery, new furniture. Everything looked fresh and clean. We stayed in Building 45.

This is in line with what Disney is trying to do at all of the properties.
A few years back, I met a supervisor CM who was a project leader for room refurbs (while filling up at the Hess station across from the Boardwalk) and he told me that Disney was going towards natural stone countertops at every location they were refurbishing. This certainly was true at both Contemporary and Poly, though I’m not sure what’s been changed at WL other than TVs and I don’t quite recall what they used at CSR. Going to laminate wood floors would fall right in line with all that stone (I wish I’d done some wood flooring here:angry:). I don’t think that the Pop got granite sink counters though. I think they went with a corian type material. Nicer than Formica or tiles and a lot less likely to chip.

[QUOTE=KingOMiami;1052936]Seeing that I am going to be staying at OKW in March next year (reserved a 2 bedroom suite), I am glad to see this thread.

I just stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with my family a few weeks ago. It was AMAZING. We took pictures of the inside, but they’re on my mom’s camera. :pinch: I’ll try to get them from her and post some for you!

EDIT: hm, I just realized I’m not sure if our room was renovated or not. We were in Building 33 I believe. I’ll post the pix for you anyway.

Allearsnet.com has pictures of a renovated 2-bedroom. They also have pictures of rooms before renovations so you can compare. Does anyone know when the refurbishments will be completed?

OKW is our “Home”. We really like it there. The 1 bedroom is big enough to spread out in and the 2 bedroom well is the size of a 1 bedroom with a second bedroom with 2 double beds and another bathroom attached. The resort is big and you do have to walk or take a bus to the hospitality house from some places BUT it is quiet and calm. The bus service has always been good for us there too. The restaurant is nice and but the counter service is limited and the bar is small. My kids love the pool and the activities there…funny they always ask to go to OKW and I am the one wanting to try new resorts. Have a great time!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with OKW. Every DVC location is slightly different and each offer pluses and minuses - just like every other Disney resort location. I’ve stayed at all of the WDW DVC locations.

Enjoy.

Thanks so much for all the posts. I’m very excited now to be there in just 5 short weeks!!!