Old news to some...but new to me...need advice on "backpacking"

Ok…so this will be my first trip using a backpack in the parks…

First question is (and most advise against from what I have read)…should I bother using a backpack in SW, US & IOA? What “issues” am I facing?

Next, specific to WDW…what are the “musts” I should have in the backpack? Are there any rides that don’t allow the backpacks?

Just looking for tips here…I am an expert when it comes to hiking with a backpack, but no clue on what to expect while WDW trekking.

We usually take a small backpack to the parks with us. We have a couple of snack sized ZipLock bags with several kinds of meds, bandaids, and other drug store type things all in a sandwich sized baggie.

We have a small umbrella that folds down pretty small. My son has a tube of quarters and pennies for pressing. We keep a pen and the paper with our trip plans. Our camera also goes in the backpack. We try to keep it light but as we go through our trip little things seem to collect in it.

I haven’t been on a WDW ride yet that didn’t allow me to take the backpack with me on the ride/attraction.

First of all I’d suggest the lightest, most comfortable and smallest backpack you can find. The one concern with IOA and US is that a lot of the attractions require that you put your belongings in a locker before riding - and those lockers are pretty small. A big backpack, packed full, will not fit.

As for what to bring; water (if you have a fridge at your resort, freeze a bottle, and wrap a cold, wet washcloth around it; you’ll have cold, refreshing water as the ice melts, plus a damp, cool washcloth to wipe your face - very refreshing). Sunscreen, hand sanitizer, some portable snacks, moleskin for any blisters that might occur, tylenol, a cheap pair of flipflops to wear on water rides (especially at IOA). My advice is to pack it as lightly as you can.

[QUOTE=llama;1081215]First of all I’d suggest the lightest, most comfortable and smallest backpack you can find. The one concern with IOA and US is that a lot of the attractions require that you put your belongings in a locker before riding - and those lockers are pretty small. A big backpack, packed full, will not fit.

As for what to bring; water (if you have a fridge at your resort, freeze a bottle, and wrap a cold, wet washcloth around it; you’ll have cold, refreshing water as the ice melts, plus a damp, cool washcloth to wipe your face - very refreshing). Sunscreen, hand sanitizer, some portable snacks, moleskin for any blisters that might occur, tylenol, a cheap pair of flipflops to wear on water rides (especially at IOA). My advice is to pack it as lightly as you can.[/QUOTE]

llama pretty much nailed it on the head. The only thing I would add to the back pack would be a small umbrella as well as ponchos. We do get our fair share of rain in FL. Oh yeah, Mosquito repellent is a must… They will eat you alive…

As llama said, US & IOA do not allow you to bring backpacks on the rides but the parks at Disney do. As far as Sea World goes, I have no idea. I haven’t been to that park since 2000…

Thanks to all for the advice!!!

Also, beware of color of the back pack. Sounds odd but I carried a black pack on one trip (it was a backpack style diaper bag) and that thing got HOT in the sun. A light colored pack won’t soak in as much of the heat. Never even thought about it until that trip, next trip was a light colored and I personally could tell a big difference.

a small pack of kleenex
travel size wipes
travel size hand sanitizer
bottle of some type of pain meds
bandaids
eyedrops
sun screen if you use it
rain ponchos or palm umbrella
park map/show schedule
tickets or KTTW
quarters & pennies
pen & small pad of paper for notes or autographs
camera
extra set of batteries (or film if not digital)
mints, gum or a snack bar
if you still have room, a water bottle. If not get the bottle strap to carry it outside of the backpack.

And for guys…empty that wallet if you MUST take it in. Do you really need to tote around that video rental card, or grocery store card. I emptied DH’s wallet on the 3rd day of our last trip and reduced his wallet by 1/2.