One Day in Disneyland

I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few times but I have never been to the parks.

Well, I’ll be in Anaheim for Biz in January and I will have one day and one day only to hit a park (or two) on 01/11/12 and I will be solo (DGF can’t go because she is a teacher and school will be session).

What should I do? Park Hopper? Should I just “do” Disneyland?

Is this a busy time of year?

Are there AAA discounts I’m missing (I just explored AAA’s website and they only provide discounts for WDW. There was no mention of Cali) or any other types of discounts for tickets that may be available?

Because I go to WDW many times a year, what rides should I avoid which are basically carbon copies in Orlando?

What ride should I grab a fast pass for first and where should I immediately go to next before using said fast pass?

Or perhaps, does somebody have any good ideas about where to start at rope drop all the way through a finish for one day at one or both parks?

I’m sure I wont be able to do everything so what is/are (an) absolute must do(s) that I cant experience in Orlando?

Any specific restaurants to try for lunch and dinner?

Thanks All!!!

[QUOTE=papa bear;1094296]I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few times but I have never been to the parks.

Well, I’ll be in Anaheim for Biz in January and I will have one day and one day only to hit a park (or two) on 01/11/12 and I will be solo (DGF can’t go because she is a teacher and school will be session).

What should I do? Park Hopper? Should I just “do” Disneyland? [/QUOTE]

As a Premium Passholder, I never had this problem. But if you only have one day, I would recommend Disneyland Park only. Not only do you have longer park hours, you will barely be able to ride the must do rides within that one day. Granted, California Adventure is just across the plaza, but the time and delays won’t be worth the experience or cost, in my opinion. Unless, of course, money is no object or this will be the one and only time you will be in Anaheim for the next five years or so… :pirate:

Actually the 11th of January is not that busy a time. Christmas rush is over, so you should be able to enjoy the park without it being too overcrowded. It IS going to be chilly (as Southern California goes). :dry:

[QUOTE=papa bear;1094296]
Are there AAA discounts I’m missing (I just explored AAA’s website and they only provide discounts for WDW. There was no mention of Cali) or any other types of discounts for tickets that may be available? [/QUOTE]

I believe AAA provides a discount ticket to Disneyland, it’s one of the few that do. But since most folk go to WDW, I think you’ll have to contact them to make sure…

[QUOTE=papa bear;1094296]
Because I go to WDW many times a year, what rides should I avoid which are basically carbon copies in Orlando? [/QUOTE]

I don’t know of any “carbon copy” rides. All are a bit different. Buzz Lightyear I know is much better design and interactive play at Disneyland. :ninja:

Space Mountain is always a fast pass destination. We always get fast passes there, and then either get in line for the ride or go over to Buzz Lightyear. Finding Nemo is another ride that might require early initial riding.

Space Mountain.
Matterhorn.
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.
Buzz Lightyear.
Pinnochio.
Haunted House.
Splash Mountain (sit in back, in might be cold)
Pirates of the Caribbean.
Jungle Cruise.

Can’t spend a day at Disneyland without doing these rides.

Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney is a must. If you can, either Storyteller’s in Grand Californian or, if you have some spare jingle, Napa Rose. Three best restaurants in the resort.

Hope this gives you an idea. There are some other threads with some really great ideas, and one thread that distinguishes the differences between Disneyland rides and those at WDW. :pirate:

Thank you very much for the heads up Experiment6-2-6! I know those were a lot of questions but the information helps me out a lot!

So one park it is… And the “must-do’s” are VERY helpful!

Are there any restaurants in the Disneyland park that I should try or are all of the better sit-downs outside of the park?

In the park…Carnation Cafe is yummy for breakfast or lunch(loaded baked potato soup). Cafe Orleans is a good option too! The pommes frites are so yummy. The Blue Bayou has wonderful atmosphere but we were disappointed the last time we dined there.
Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen is yummy as is Storytellers(at the GC). The one thing about eating in the park is that it might work better with your time schedule. For a light snack the Bengal BBQ…is sooooooo good!:smile:

[QUOTE=papa bear;1094390]Thank you very much for the heads up Experiment6-2-6! I know those were a lot of questions but the information helps me out a lot!

So one park it is… And the “must-do’s” are VERY helpful!

Are there any restaurants in the Disneyland park that I should try or are all of the better sit-downs outside of the park?[/QUOTE]

Um, Peppertink has named the best in-park spots. Sadly, I have found that the prices in the park are more expensive than I care to think about. Back when I was in law school, Linda and I made a point of going to Blue Bayou once every trip, and did our best to snag a table at the end overlooking the swamp. :heart: And I continued that tradition with the heir apparent, up until Pirates came out, and Disney realized extortion isn’t all that bad for making money. :pirate:

But of the in-park eateries, Cafe Orleans is the one I go to, as it is a sit-down converted from a cafeteria style from days gone by. Prices are significantly cheaper there than at Blue Bayou. Carnation Cafe is good too, and the bacon wrapped asparagus is a must from Bengal BBQ. Oh, the pterodactyl leg on a stick (marketed by Disney as smoked turkey) isn’t a bad bang for the buck either… :mickey:

My favorite lunch is to grab some Bengal BBQ, then take it into the Golden Horseshoe and eat while I enjoy Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. :wub:

I agree with Pep about not leaving because of losing so much park time… but on the other hand, DL will close about 8pm in January, so you can make your dinner reservation for after that.

Okay, here is your schedule:

Be at DL half an hour before the stated opening time. (Or, if you are staying on property, hopefully it will be a day that they have their early entry for hotel guests… in any case, get there half an hour before you’re allowed to go in.)

Do your touring plan. Go go go like a maniac for the first couple of hours, and you’ll have almost everything major done, especially on a weekday in January.

Take a break with your choice of potato: either the loaded potato soup at Carnation Cafe, or the pommes frites at Cafe Orleans.

Tour tour tour!

Catch the last showing of Billy Hill & the Hillbillies (if you are fortunate enough to be there on a day when they’re playing) while you eat your bacon-wrapped asparagus from Bengal BBQ.

Tour tour tour until the bitter end!

Off to Jazz Kitchen in DTD or Storyteller’s at the Grand Californian.

And I am seriously bossy enough to tell you exactly how to tour, too. Heehee. :laugh: I’ve done DL solo, and had a fantastic time… you’ll love it!

Oh- also, the new Star Tours is absolute insanity at DL, and currently the huge FP rush. I’d say that’s something you could easily skip, and then I think you’d have no problem accomplishing everything else.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1094483]My favorite lunch is to grab some Bengal BBQ, then take it into the Golden Horseshoe and eat while I enjoy Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. :wub:

I agree with Pep about not leaving because of losing so much park time… but on the other hand, DL will close about 8pm in January, so you can make your dinner reservation for after that.

Okay, here is your schedule:

Be at DL half an hour before the stated opening time. (Or, if you are staying on property, hopefully it will be a day that they have their early entry for hotel guests… in any case, get there half an hour before you’re allowed to go in.)

Do your touring plan. Go go go like a maniac for the first couple of hours, and you’ll have almost everything major done, especially on a weekday in January.

Take a break with your choice of potato: either the loaded potato soup at Carnation Cafe, or the pommes frites at Cafe Orleans.

Tour tour tour!

Catch the last showing of Billy Hill & the Hillbillies (if you are fortunate enough to be there on a day when they’re playing) while you eat your bacon-wrapped asparagus from Bengal BBQ.

Tour tour tour until the bitter end!

Off to Jazz Kitchen in DTD or Storyteller’s at the Grand Californian.

And I am seriously bossy enough to tell you exactly how to tour, too. Heehee. :laugh: I’ve done DL solo, and had a fantastic time… you’ll love it![/QUOTE]
Ok then, please boss me around. Peppy has done an excellent job filling me in on the must do’s, I would love to hear your take on things as well. Most importantly will I be able to do the Nemo subs or not? Particularly, without having to wait for 2 hours? What about the WOC picnic? What are your thoughts on that?

OH! I forgot to mention the subs. The last few times we’ve been, the wait hasn’t been more than 45 minutes. I think maybe you should head to Star Tours first thing get a FP(if you are going to do it?) and then head over to Nemo and get it out of the way.

How exciting! Your first time to DL! Soooo, I know that two parks is hard to fit in, buuuut… I’m just thinking that I would want to check out DCA if I was only there for the day, and its just across the promenade! Less for the attractions perhaps, but to explore a little.

If you do decide to add a detour over there, head over there at 10, right when they open. There are some WDW rides like Soarin, Tower of Terror, Midway Mania (No FP), but you may want to check-out the Little Mermaid (No FP), a dark ride for Monster’s Inc, a cute area for Bug’s Land (just to walk through - its all kids rides!), Aladdin show, or the Art of Animation building (my favorite! and not like WDW’s :wub:)… just some suggestions.

As for DL, when it opens everyone will be heading to Star Tours, so you can skip that and head elsewhere. A couple of suggestions for attractions that are different from, or not found at WDW:

• Nemo submarines (No FP and can get really long lines)
  • Matterhorn (No FP)
  • Autopia (try to end up on the string of cars closest to the Innoventions building. It has a longer track and better “off-road” experience :happy:)
  • Toontown
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
  • Indiana Jones
  • New Orlean’s Square
  • Tiki Room
  • Walk through of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle

I would stick with counter service meals and maximize park time. At DCA I like Paradise Garden Grill. And at DL, I like Bengal BBQ, Rancho del Zocalo, Pizza Port or Hungry Bear. Have a great time!

Since you are a long time WDW person there are several things you must do. Matterhorn, 20,000 Leagues, Pirates, HM, and believe it or not you must check out IASW.

And then check out the rest. I was not overly impressed with Cali Adventure, but I as we toured DL I kept reminding myself that this is what Walt built! I was very happy that we went.

-Harry

My recommendation was to just skip the Star Tours insanity for a one-day trip, because it kills your morning window for getting multiple FPs.

I’d say get your Space Mountain FP first thing, and then head to Nemo.

I liked the WOC picnic- I think it’s probably the best way to get your WOC FP if you’re not going to be staying on property or you’re going to be at Disneyland in the morning.

The European Antipasto has the best dessert. :biggrin:

Well I just noticed that you are going on a wed,jan11th that creates I believe some issues and some plusses,first the issue is park hours and whats available also some prime rides might be down for maintenance,so as we get closer check those key issues,on the plus side the crowds hopefully will be light,so unlike whatt others have said I would do star tours first when you enter at park opening,then get a fast pass for space,and when a next pass availability comes up I repeat one of those 2 rides and that probably won’t get you to 10:30,pirates in DLR is a must …thunder and splash are basically copy cats ,INDIE is dinosaur ride,with indie theming,next matterhorn is a must both in the daylight and after dark with the latter a better ride experience,also understand that it is vintage ride technology it was first in many features…once again park hours are crucial,why?well fantasmic might not be showing as possibly the fireworks…but I believe world of color will be and screamin is a lot of fun…TOT is still not up to par with WDW,soarin is the same,rushing waters is different and in my opinion alittle better than kahali…food is always personal the jazz kitchen twice for us was a big disappointment,but others have liked it ,for me with only one day I would eat at the plaza inn ,they take AAA and food is OK fried chicken,pasta,etc …they have a reasonably new food court in the back of CAdventures,salads pizza and some intersting other dishes in a pleasant location …any other question you can PM me and I will glad to assist

[QUOTE=papa bear;1094296]I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few times but I have never been to the parks.

What should I do? Park Hopper? Should I just “do” Disneyland?

Is this a busy time of year?

Are there AAA discounts I’m missing (I just explored AAA’s website and they only provide discounts for WDW. There was no mention of Cali) or any other types of discounts for tickets that may be available?

Because I go to WDW many times a year, what rides should I avoid which are basically carbon copies in Orlando?

What ride should I grab a fast pass for first and where should I immediately go to next before using said fast pass?

Or perhaps, does somebody have any good ideas about where to start at rope drop all the way through a finish for one day at one or both parks?

I’m sure I wont be able to do everything so what is/are (an) absolute must do(s) that I cant experience in Orlando?

Any specific restaurants to try for lunch and dinner?

Thanks All!!![/QUOTE]

Definitely get a park hopper!
1st thing in the morning head over to CA and get FP for WOC! No exaggeration WOC was so amazing one of the best highlights of my ENTIRE trip!
RIDES TO GO ON
California Screamin’ (I have never been on this it was closed last time I was there and I was so so sad but make sure you ride it!!):excl:
Aladdin Show (so awesome great performers and the Genie will make you laugh out loud):flowers:
Grizzly River Run (I know it will be cold but you can do it):eek:
Indiana Jones (SO SO cool don’t miss it!! Don’t hold on to anything just let yourself fly around much more fun):biggrin::heart:
Ariel’s Undersea Adventure (new but never seems to have much of a line just basic walk on):ariel:
Matterhorn Bobsleds (try both tracks the yeti is much more mild in this ride than EE in WDW by the way this yeti’s name is Harold):closedeye
Mickey’s fun wheel (you must go on the swinging car to fully experience the fun wheel):blink:
Silly Symphony Swings (seriously only like 1 minute and NEVER has a line try it you’ll LOVE it!!!):wub:
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (just awesome and only takes a few minutes):smile:
Snow White’s Scary Adventures (optional, but so much scarier in DL):ohmy:
Splash Mountain (better in DL) (you may get soaked and shivering but it will be awesome!):happy:
Star Tours (may make you sick but still keeps ya coming again and again):blow:

Thank you all very much for the advice! It’s just a little more than a month away before I’ll be there and I’m starting to get a little excited!

A client recommended that I eat at the restaurant inside of POTC… Is that Blue Bayou???

Same as ganibull, he mentioned that no matter what, I should get a park hopper and as soon as the park opens, run over to grab a ticket for World of Color, and then run over to Disneyland to spend the rest of the day there. And then, head over to DCA for the show.

Is World of Color really worth the extra cha-ching for the park hopper? And do they have a show at night at Disneyland (such as Fantasmic or is that at DCA as well)?

park schedules in cca are not posted that far in advance,but world of color is worth it and fantasmic disneyland style is very good …

I’m the minority opinion that says no, World of Color isn’t worth it if that’s all you’re doing in that park. It’s a great show, but I wouldn’t sacrifice DL time for it.

I never think of recommending the castle walk-through, but do it! No line, it’s just simple and cool.

Yes, the restaurant in Pirates is Blue Bayou. Most people will tell you that the atmosphere is fabulous but the food is mediocre and exceptionally overpriced- which is saying a LOT when we’re talking about already pricey theme park food. What I’ve done is made a reservation for late afternoon at Blue Bayou, and just gotten seated for an afternoon snack- a dessert, perhaps.

Fantasmic is at Disneyland, but may be only on the weekends come January. It’s far superior to the WDW version.

That’s why we get paid the big bucks… :pirate:

Yes, though the restaurant really isn’t “inside” the ride. If you ride POTC, as you go through the swamp you’ll see the restaurant on your right. But as warned, the prices are absurd. If you must go, do a light snack. Dessert and coffee, enjoy the ambiance. :cool:

[QUOTE=papa bear;1097204]
Same as ganibull, he mentioned that no matter what, I should get a park hopper and as soon as the park opens, run over to grab a ticket for World of Color, and then run over to Disneyland to spend the rest of the day there. And then, head over to DCA for the show.

Is World of Color really worth the extra cha-ching for the park hopper? And do they have a show at night at Disneyland (such as Fantasmic or is that at DCA as well)?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen world of color. So this is a toughie. But if you had more time, I would do world of color. You are going to be pressed for time to do most of the major rides and points of attractions as it is. Even if it is January. Save World of Color for your second trip when you have more time. :pirate:

Just have to press again how AMAZING WOC is! There are some pretty cool rides in CA too I think you could ride do the major stuff in a day. WOC is so much better than Fantasmic at either DL or DW!