Opinions needed or asked for

We still love Disney but for some has Disney lost some of its luster…with all this money spent on new technology and very little now being spent on new attractions and promos,more hard ticket events and incessant increase in costs across the board,just asking???

I don’t think it lost its luster for me, but on the same note, I am not sure its going in the direction Walt would have taken it. I do feel it has lost its quality in some ares but Disney is a place we will always love. I think they need to put more focus back into the quality of their CM’s, and food. I found it lacked a bit much on my last trip.

I still love the parks, the resort, and the cast members who work very hard to provide a memorable guest experience. I deplore the business decisions that continue to increase the cost of going – I can easily envision the day approaching when I will no longer be able to afford to go.

Walt’s dream was for it to be a place for all the world that vision is coming to fruition but a lot americans are being priced out,I agree that the cost is reaching almost impossible heights for far too many.

yes, pricing a trip to Disney is getting at a breaking point. For the past 5 years, my wife and I compare a WDW vacation to other destinations - like the beach or whatever. In the past, once the other destinations reached around the $2000 mark for our family of 5 - I could say honey, we are now getting within $1500 or so of just going back to Disney…and for us it was worth it. It seems that target has steadily moved up and its more like a $2500 gap between a week at WDW and a week somewhere else. Its getting close to the point where family’s like mine will simply be forced to find alternatives to vacation destinations. Not there yet but we have reached about the top of the Bell Curve for us. For those of you who work at WDW - YOU ARE THE REASON WE COME BACK!!! Thank you.

They had me at Main Street!
Will always love WDW because since we brought our children there it’s always been
Magical with memories forever. Going again and my married children still go with us.

[QUOTE=joseph3947;1137252]They had me at Main Street!
Will always love WDW because since we brought our children there it’s always been
Magical with memories forever. Going again and my married children still go with us.[/QUOTE]

Believe Me - it is our #1 and for the last 6 years ONLY vacation destination…but they are pricing themselves out of reasonable range for us. Just praying I get some nice raises or bonus’ to keep up.

For a business to stay alive, they must constantly evolve and change in order to grow and maintain profitability. If they never added things, they would not get the constant repeat business year after year. IF they didn’t evolve with technology and get ahead of the ball, they would die. Sure, the die hards would still go, but would the average person constantly revisit if there was nothing new to see? Probably not. Maintaining a 365 day theme park is not cheap.

Yes, the growth and technology costs money. Employing 80 thousand people, and running daily operations does too. Providing bus service to and from the theme parks every 20 minutes, fireworks every single night and parades and all the other stuff they do…all costs money. Think of how much gas went up…disney is not immune to price hikes. How about the costs of a loaf of bread, gallon of milk etc. Seriously, why would Disney’s prices not go up when everything in life goes up in price every single year? Just sayin’

I just compare it to our every day living at this time and EVERYTHING is going up in price - groceries, gas, college tuition - EVERYTHING. So I guess it makes a certain amount of sense to me that the cost of visiting WDW has gone up, too. I still feel like we get more for the money we pay at Disney than anywhere else. The cost is prohibitive, yes, but all that means for us is that there is more space in between our vacations. It means we have to give up a few things that we enjoy here and there at home. But for our family it is more than worth it.

I still think the quality is there. Each trip we take (and our trips are 8-11 days in length) we have one bad bus experience (and by bad, I mean a wait over 20 minutes with cranky visitors) one bad CM experience, and most trips we have one less than perfect dining experience. But when I compare that to every day life? No other vacation has provided us with the level of exemplary service and product that we get at Disney.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1137260]I just compare it to our every day living at this time and EVERYTHING is going up in price - groceries, gas, college tuition - EVERYTHING. So I guess it makes a certain amount of sense to me that the cost of visiting WDW has gone up, too. I still feel like we get more for the money we pay at Disney than anywhere else. The cost is prohibitive, yes, but all that means for us is that there is more space in between our vacations. It means we have to give up a few things that we enjoy here and there at home. But for our family it is more than worth it.

I still think the quality is there. Each trip we take (and our trips are 8-11 days in length) we have one bad bus experience (and by bad, I mean a wait over 20 minutes with cranky visitors) one bad CM experience, and most trips we have one less than perfect dining experience. But when I compare that to every day life? No other vacation has provided us with the level of exemplary service and product that we get at Disney.[/QUOTE]

Jen, like you, I had to give up many things in order to be able to take my daughter there every year. I still am very frugal and very careful about my money so I can go often. I really think when you start to think it’s not worth your money any more, you should just not go or skip and go every other year. I recently had someone tell me they could not afford such a trip for their children. They eat out twice a week and are always “shopping”…you can afford to go, you just aren’t willing to sacrifice. Eating out twice a week for a family of 5 is not cheap - not where they go. If they took that money and saved it for a year, they could get a trip out of it.

I think that it has become much more expensive, but it does not seem to deter crowds yet. (It might deter us though- party of 5). Time will tell if their technology upgrades are worth it. However, no one else is doing it yet, so we cannot compare it to another park doing anything similar. I did think that if there was always something new, then we would get bored with that too, because we would feel like we could not always keep up…
I do think that both places (FL and CA) give you an amazing vacation that does not compare to other places, for atmosphere, cleanliness, attitude, friendliness, and entertainment value. You definitely get what you pay for. Time will tell if their choices benefit for the long term.

…it would take a lot for me to think that I was not getting my money’s worth at WDW…

While I understand that big family’s find it harder and harder to go to WDW, I do think the money is well spent.

We go only every couple of years so it is not a money issue—more of a time away issue…

The price of everything is going up…I remember when Busch Gardens was $35 for a day and now it’s up to $70…and look at the difference in what you get for the money…

As much as I hate the wrist band thing—and the FP sign up thing–it comes down to two choices…

You either go----or you don’t…that’s it—in a nutshell. I can either go with it or…not. :closedeye

[QUOTE=smallworld;1137265]…it would take a lot for me to think that I was not getting my money’s worth at WDW…

While I understand that big family’s find it harder and harder to go to WDW, I do think the money is well spent.

We go only every couple of years so it is not a money issue—more of a time away issue…

The price of everything is going up…I remember when Busch Gardens was $35 for a day and now it’s up to $70…and look at the difference in what you get for the money…

As much as I hate the wrist band thing—and the FP sign up thing–it comes down to two choices…

You either go----or you don’t…that’s it—in a nutshell. I can either go with it or…not. :closedeye[/QUOTE]

I am testing out the FP+ system in two weeks. I am totally stoked about it. It was FUN planning attractions for my arrival day. Any other time, I would just go to Epcot and do the countries because the lines will be too long by the time I check in and get to a park. I LOVED planning FP+ options for at night near where I already made a dining ADR. Now, I can actually go on attractions at night rather then skip due to lines and FP return times that are so late. I love that the system took the three rides I chose and put them in logical order, so I could do them one after another. I also love that I have it on my wrist and don’t have to dig out a park ticket to get in my room or use FP or get into the park - OR for dining… I was resistant about the new system until I actually got to play with it. This is the same ol same ol, just better and faster. I still have the power to be spontaneous in the day and get to a park at opening and plan FP+ options at night near my dining. This is what we had, just better.

…I have resigned myself to the wristbands—like I said—it’s either go or not—but—I still don’t like to have to plan ahead.

I am happy that you enjoyed planning some FPtimes, but we don’t plan even 2 weeks in advance—except for perhaps a special event—which is rare. Last year, we had tickets for the Keys to the Kingdom tour–so we planned to be in the MK that day. I think that might have been the first time we planned to specifically be in a park a certain day–ahead of time. Other than that, we plan after we get there and see the crowds in each park. Our planning is more like the night before or even the day of…

So—making FP reservations even 2 weeks in advance is just not what we do.
(and we never make dinner reservations ahead of time)

That’s all I am saying—it’s just something that we are going to be forced to do in order to be able to get on a ride we want—because everyone else will have gotten their FPs in advance.

We sometimes will hop back and forth 2 or 3 times in a day—and if you have a FP for a specific park in advance, then you have to be sure that you are IN that park at that time…

I should add, that we never ever have come home from a WDW trip without doing and seeing every single thing we have wanted to—so this method works—for us. (We also have never gone hungry for lack of making reservations—we just walk in somewhere every evening…luck maybe?)

I realize we should think positive about the new FP program, but it is forcing those of us who just get up and go that day to a park—to change or be left out I fear…

But—again—two choices—either we go—or we don’t—we can’t change what’s put out there for us… :slight_smile:

As always, I look forward to hearing how your planning ahead worked for you—can’t wait for a trip report. :happy:

…oh and since I will not be there for another year or two—I can’t wait to hear how this new system works for those of us “non-planners”…perhaps it won’t throw us out of rides and attractions after all? I would love to just keep my system that works so well…:happy:

This is the only way we can afford to go and eat at some of the nicer resturants.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1137269]…I have resigned myself to the wristbands—like I said—it’s either go or not—but—I still don’t like to have to plan ahead.

I am happy that you enjoyed planning some FPtimes, but we don’t plan even 2 weeks in advance—except for perhaps a special event—which is rare. Last year, we had tickets for the Keys to the Kingdom tour–so we planned to be in the MK that day. I think that might have been the first time we planned to specifically be in a park a certain day–ahead of time. Other than that, we plan after we get there and see the crowds in each park. Our planning is more like the night before or even the day of…

So—making FP reservations even 2 weeks in advance is just not what we do.
(and we never make dinner reservations ahead of time)

That’s all I am saying—it’s just something that we are going to be forced to do in order to be able to get on a ride we want—because everyone else will have gotten their FPs in advance.

We sometimes will hop back and forth 2 or 3 times in a day—and if you have a FP for a specific park in advance, then you have to be sure that you are IN that park at that time…

I should add, that we never ever have come home from a WDW trip without doing and seeing every single thing we have wanted to—so this method works—for us. (We also have never gone hungry for lack of making reservations—we just walk in somewhere every evening…luck maybe?)

I realize we should think positive about the new FP program, but it is forcing those of us who just get up and go that day to a park—to change or be left out I fear…

But—again—two choices—either we go—or we don’t—we can’t change what’s put out there for us… :slight_smile:

As always, I look forward to hearing how your planning ahead worked for you—can’t wait for a trip report. :happy:[/QUOTE]

You’ve said everything for me!

I’m resigned to the wristbands, although I can’t imagine that I will ever be so loaded down with packages, etc., that getting a key out would be a great inconvenience for me. I suppose if you had stroller, kids, etc., it’s a good idea. It’s really no biggie for me one way or the other.

However, if, when DH gets home tonight I told him "we have to sit down and plan our fastpasses for Epcot on the 21st, he’d promptly have me institutionalized.

Nothing to do but take a wait and see attitude, I suppose.

Yep - and yes I believe that EVERY penny I spend toward Disney is well worth it.

Just think WDW is reaching a point where they will not be able to hike things so much. Just saying…they will know when they hit that limit and we will know it when the prices don’t take a jump or very little jump in a year.

Well to each their own opinion. Agree or not agree, I assume you will find a way to manager this new system and make it work to your advantage.

Yep—there is no other way–we have to make it work or not go at all…:mellow: