Orange Bird returns to Adventureland!

Looks like the retro return of the Orange Bird is on at the Tiki room…not mentioned in this article but the Orange Bird drink is also coming back…Orange Bird is like a tart orange flavored version of the DoleWhip.

Back when Walt Disney World was just one park in a big empty wilderness south of Orlando, there was a strange bird with a head shaped like an orange that bobbed about the Magic Kingdom.

The Orange Bird was actually a creation unique to the Florida theme park in conjunction with the Florida Citrus Growers’ sponsorship of the original incarnation of the WDW-version of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, an attraction that existed in California’s Disneyland.

Disney Orange Bird: Orange Bird from 1970s returns to Walt Disney World’s Adventurland - OrlandoSentinel.com

I love all the retro art work!

I never made it to WDW while the “Orange Bird” was there, so I don’t know why I remember it so much…hmmmm I wonder why it sounds familiar.

Also, what is the big difference now with the Tiki Room? I had heard that Zazu and Iago were no longer there (ok by me) but is it essentially the same? going back to pre-Iago? Just curious.

PS Can’t wait to try the Orange drink—I’m sure I will love it as much as the Dole Whip–well—maybe that’s not possible. :laugh:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1107729]I never made it to WDW while the “Orange Bird” was there, so I don’t know why I remember it so much…hmmmm I wonder why it sounds familiar.

Also, what is the big difference now with the Tiki Room? I had heard that Zazu and Iago were no longer there (ok by me) but is it essentially the same? going back to pre-Iago? Just curious.

PS Can’t wait to try the Orange drink—I’m sure I will love it as much as the Dole Whip–well—maybe that’s not possible. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

The New Management got canned from the Tiki Room after one of their parties got out of control and about burnt down the house. The Tiki Room went Old School cuz old guys rule!

Yay----Even my daughter didn’t really get into the “new” tiki room—old school is indeed cool! Thanks

Also—I’m now singing the song in my head—it’s almost as bad as It’s a Smallworld—but not quite! :slight_smile:

Yeah… what he said.

Can’t wait to see the original in Sept.

UPDATE:

In case you aren’t familiar, Orange Bird was a character who was developed specifically for Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. This cheerful bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could also enjoy citrus drinks and buy Orange Bird gifts. At one time, the character even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of the songs in “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book”).

Beginning today, Orange Bird will return to Sunshine Tree Terrace signage and quirky drink cups, and a new line of Orange Bird merchandise has already appeared on the shelves!

Historic Orange Bird Returns to Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park Disney Parks Blog

yeah

But is the Orange Bird angry? Seems to me that would be a draw…

I have only seen the Tiki Room while under the new management so this will be something new for me when we do go back.

-Harry

Did they reintroduce the steak cow? That’s my favorite.

Mmmm…steak cow. :cool:

Hmmmm, beef!@!@!@!

I actually had these little tiny steak medalions last night at Olive Garden ( it was date night with my DW ).

I have not had steak in a while and I have to admit it beat an Orange Bird hands down…

-H

[QUOTE=Cavey;1107796]Did they reintroduce the steak cow? That’s my favorite.

Mmmm…steak cow. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I give your meat glue:

Meat Glue Secret - YouTube

Ok so you are going to bring up meat…here are a couple of great places off the tourist path here in Central Florida that I would recommend:

4 Rivers Smokehouse. There is one in Winter Park and one right off I4 in Longwood (434).
There is another place on 434 called Bites which is primarily a hotdog stand but they have pretty good hamburger/cheese burgers and the best shakes I have ever had.

On International driver is the Funky Monkey (which is a nice wine bar but the entries are very good). Up the road in Dr Philips is Cantina Laredo which is also pretty good…and there is always the Ikea cafeteria up on Conroy by Mall at Millennia. Padrino’s Cuban Bistro is a great upscale cuban restaurant at JYP and 417.

And I haven’t really touched the surface…on top of Orlando having just about every chain known to man.

OK,

Anyplace named Funky Monkey gets my vote, lol. ( Did I mention the last working band I was in was called “Curious George”, no really it was! )

I was in St Louis recently and had BBQ at what is claimed to be the best place in the area. All I can say is the rib tips were about as close to culinary heaven as I have ever gotten.

-Harry

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1107840]OK,

Anyplace named Funky Monkey gets my vote, lol. ( Did I mention the last working band I was in was called “Curious George”, no really it was! )

I was in St Louis recently and had BBQ at what is claimed to be the best place in the area. All I can say is the rib tips were about as close to culinary heaven as I have ever gotten.

-Harry[/QUOTE]

The Funky Monkey has a pretty great wine selection. I can’t remember what I ate but it was excellent. If you are in Orlando away from the parks looking for a nice place to eat (maybe on business wanting to impress someone) I would recommend the FM on international drives.

[QUOTE=tigger;1107833]I give your meat glue:

Meat Glue Secret - YouTube[/QUOTE]

Mmmmm…meat glue. :heart:

Very cool!