Osborne lights are going away forever

So sad

To me this was THE disney Christmas display. I’m so glad we are going this yr, but so sad my grandkids won’t see it.

We were just there a week and a half ago and they were already putting up the lights. We are going back in December so we will be able to see it one last time.

Since they have all the lights and sound equipment, wouldn’t it be oh so easy to bring back the lights of winter? I thought they were dropped because it was old tech.

Really MK has the castle and not much else. Epcot have Christmas processional and the story tellers. But having 12 zillion lights dancing to music is amazing.

I’ve been waiting for this shoe to drop for quite some time now, ever since the rumors about Carsland and an expanded Star Wars section. In with those rumors was also the rumor that Streets of America would be going away in order to make room for the new expansions.
As for trying to recreate the Osbourne Lights anywhere else on Disney property, I seriously doubt that can happen. Streets of America was almost tailor made for this display by virtue of the entire area being one large urban movie set with blocks full of multi story building facades.
It certainly wouldn’t work in the MK, not when there are two parades, a castle projection show, and a fireworks show each night that all have their own crowd control issues.

ok, no row home street location…bring back the lights of winter. After doing Osborne, making new displays should be a piece of cake. And there won’t be nearly as much set up and tear down time involved. See I figured it all out for disney.

On another Board, an actual family member of Osbourne stated that most likely they are permanently gone, as Disney had a meeting with some family members, and provided them with an inventory list.

I’ll tell you the truth, I’m heartbroken that Disney is taking away too many traditions. Off Kilter, Osbourne Lights, worried my favorite music of Sorin will go away when they do the new movie, Mulch Sweat and Shears, and One Mans Dream. I understand they need to make some changes to compete with Harry Potter, but why are they taking away the popular ones (and keeping Captain EO???)

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1919095151]

I’ll tell you the truth, I’m heartbroken that Disney is taking away too many traditions. Off Kilter, Osbourne Lights, worried my favorite music of Sorin will go away when they do the new movie, Mulch Sweat and Shears, and One Mans Dream. I understand they need to make some changes to compete with Harry Potter, but why are they taking away the popular ones (and keeping Captain EO???)[/QUOTE]

Oh, oh…I can answer that one! It’s cheap.

That’s it, it doesn’t cost any money. It’s bare bones castmembers so it’s cheap to run and it looks like Epcot has one more attraction when a new guest is trying to book fastpasses. New guests won’t miss the little things regular guests love. Let’s face it, most of us will still go back even w/o all the little things that make the parks so much better for us. We’ve all done all the rides many times and now we love to slow down and enjoy all the extras. New guests focus on rides and won’t miss these things.

DT, that’s pretty much exactly what I told Disney when I wrote to them about how upset I am. First time I’ve ever done that, seeing I do understand its a business and change will always happen. But, they are really hurting us dedicated Disney travelers. Kind of pointed out to them that we are the ones who talk Disney 24/7 to anyone who will listen, bringing kids, and future Grandkids there. They won’t get that kind of marketing from the ones they are trying to please right now, who will go once and then the next year off to Universal. I just feel like they are tramping all over us and are showing no respect to whats important to the dedicated ones. Feel like its an end of an era.

I saw this on Friday. This is the first time I have had time to sign on here. So sad that another long running tradition is going away. Thankfully have the trip for right after Thanksgiving coming up and had planned on being there. It will just mean extra pictures and video this year.

We have a trip with 6 nights at BCV. I’m afraid since this is the last yr, it will be so mobbed, every night. We went last yr and one night it was so packed I feared for my ankles with stroller and scooters moving withing inches of people. (They had so choice, it was THAT packed) We left and came back another night and was sooo much better, but I’m sure this yr that might be the norm.

Wow I knew nothing about this. So sad. I hope it’s replacement can fill the void.

I’m so upset. My grandie will never get to see the lights.

But on a high note…her first trip is spring break next year and she’ll be just shy of 2!

I wanted to hit the ‘Like’ button … I forgot where I was.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1919095152]Oh, oh…I can answer that one! It’s cheap.

That’s it, it doesn’t cost any money. It’s bare bones castmembers so it’s cheap to run and it looks like Epcot has one more attraction when a new guest is trying to book fastpasses. New guests won’t miss the little things regular guests love. Let’s face it, most of us will still go back even w/o all the little things that make the parks so much better for us. We’ve all done all the rides many times and now we love to slow down and enjoy all the extras. New guests focus on rides and won’t miss these things.[/QUOTE]

Hijacking the thread for just a moment…This post made me think of all the little things that have been cut over the years that only true, seasoned Disney lovers will know. Who misses Push? Or the talking drinking fountain in Epcot?

What’s always been “known” is that Streets of America has to go away in order to make room for the Star Wars and Pixar expansions. I hope those replacements will be enough to fill your void.
As for me, while I’ll miss the lights, anything that adds rides to DHS is a major plus.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1919095151]
I’ll tell you the truth, I’m heartbroken that Disney is taking away too many traditions, Mulch Sweat and Shears [/QUOTE]

I’ll tell you the truth about Mulch, Sweat, and Shears (who I won’t miss one bit). They stink. Musically and sonically. Sure, they sound big when they jack into the PA in the court in front of the hat, but it’s still a cheesy bar band kind of sound.
But that’s just my opinion.

How about the surprise squirting flower pots at Italy during F&G?

That was one I didn’t know about!