Our dining plans & some questions about them

So excited!!! Must share!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Baloo and I are taking a Disney trip May 11-14 to celebrate my graduation and being together again - we’ve been doing the long-distance thing for 5 long years while I’ve been away at college. :pinch: Anyway, we decided we want to make it a slow, relaxing, romantic trip… no park hopping, no waking up early for EMH, no commando-speed touring. So to add a little romance, we researched restaurants and picked 2 that we think we will enjoy most - California Grill & Kona Cafe!

We’ve done dinner at Cali Grill with Wishes and LOVED it… I rave about it entirely too much on MB… :wub::blush: But this time we’re thinking of just doing dessert & drinks with Wishes. (I looked at their wine list - they have moscato! :heart: Heaven in a glass…) We called for a reservation and were told you can only make reservations if you’re having dinner. Does anyone know if this is true? We were kind of hoping to get a reservation so that we knew we’d be able to catch Wishes.

We’ve never been to Kona Cafe and we’re both really excited about it!! We’ve heard the atmosphere isn’t exactly romantic (kind of loud and casual), but we really liked the menu and have read lots of rave reviews. For anyone who’s been there for dinner, do you have any recommendations? We both like seafood, but we don’t like sushi and we’re not really steak people - anything else is fair game.

Also, I read that the beach near the Poly/GF is a romantic little spot to spend some time, so we’re thinking about walking out there after our Kona dinner. Does the water parade go past these resorts? If so, what time does it run, and does it run everyday?

Sorry for all the questions… thanks in advance for any help! :heart:

I am fairly sure I had the grilled fish at Kona, it was likely tuna or mahi mahi, and it was excellent, a nice big steak of it, very tasty. Ask for a table in the back…our table was basically in the hallway of the hotel…great service, if not a bit chatty. The Kona Kones are a must (share one, that will make it romantic). Have a great time…and congrats on surviving the long distance thing, we did it for 2 years of grad school and it is very hard. Celebrate!

The water pageant runs by the Poly around 9:00. I read that it goes by there first. I think they have swings on the beach you could snag and hang out on the beach.

We’ll be there from the 7th-16th at the Poly so if I see two romantics hanging out on the beach, I’ll guess it is you:)

Hiya PJ – just an FYI that we are expecting another great PJ/Baloo combination TR when you get back! Have a great time!

Oh that sounds like it will be a lovely trip. Perhaps you could sneak away to POFQ for a horse and carriage ride too.

I love the steak at Kona, so I can’t give you any recommendations since you are not a fan. But I love that Kona Cone! The cheesecake was also wonderful on our last visit.

Ok, I think what your planning sounds great! I too love Moscato!!! We may have to scoot on over to have drinks at CG now, thanks for the tip (no worries, DM is coming so DH and I can relax and spend sometime enjoying ourselves)! We have never had dinner at Kona, but the breaskfast is heaven on a plate!!! I love the Macadamia Pinapple pancakes!!! I am interested in your reviews of dinner!

If you like Fish, maybe you can try Flying Fish over on the Boardwalk. If you are on teh DDP I don’t think they are on there, so maybe it is not an option! If you aren’t doing teh DDP maybe try Yacht Club Galley! I like the Boardwalk atmosphere, I think it is nice to stroll hand in hand down!

I think the Yacht and Beach club also has a wine bar.

As for what you can do, there is a book called something like “WDW for guests traveling without children”, and we found it to be a great guide for stuff to do for just adults (not that we ever traveled w/out our kids yet, but we brought the DMIL and DFIL!!!)

Check it out, you may find soemthing you like! Can’t wait for that TR!

You might just call, get a dinner reservation, and when you get there just order beverages (including wine!) and an appetizer (or dessert) or two. They can’t have a problem with that.

Good idea - I’ll be sure to ask for a table in the back. And I looked up those Kona Kones on google… they look AMAZING!!! :wub::wub::wub: I’ll be warning Baloo to save some room!

Thanks for the congrats… since you did long distance, I’m sure you understand, we’re so excited to finally be like a normal couple and go on a date once in a while! :laugh:

[QUOTE=hiner;954046]The water pageant runs by the Poly around 9:00. I read that it goes by there first. I think they have swings on the beach you could snag and hang out on the beach.

We’ll be there from the 7th-16th at the Poly so if I see two romantics hanging out on the beach, I’ll guess it is you:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! We made a ressie for 8:00, so we might be able to catch it! Have a great time staying at the Poly… that’s one of my dream resorts! :wub:

hehe!! Consider it done! :happy:

[QUOTE=lovemysons;954105]Oh that sounds like it will be a lovely trip. Perhaps you could sneak away to POFQ for a horse and carriage ride too.

I love the steak at Kona, so I can’t give you any recommendations since you are not a fan. But I love that Kona Cone! The cheesecake was also wonderful on our last visit.[/QUOTE]

ooo horse and carriage… how romantic… I may have to drop a hint or two… :angel:

Kona Cone is officially on my list! I don’t really like cheesecake but Baloo LOVES it, so I’ll be sure to pass your suggestion on. Thank you!!

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;954109]Ok, I think what your planning sounds great! I too love Moscato!!! We may have to scoot on over to have drinks at CG now, thanks for the tip (no worries, DM is coming so DH and I can relax and spend sometime enjoying ourselves)! We have never had dinner at Kona, but the breaskfast is heaven on a plate!!! I love the Macadamia Pinapple pancakes!!! I am interested in your reviews of dinner!

If you like Fish, maybe you can try Flying Fish over on the Boardwalk. If you are on teh DDP I don’t think they are on there, so maybe it is not an option! If you aren’t doing teh DDP maybe try Yacht Club Galley! I like the Boardwalk atmosphere, I think it is nice to stroll hand in hand down!

I think the Yacht and Beach club also has a wine bar.

As for what you can do, there is a book called something like “WDW for guests traveling without children”, and we found it to be a great guide for stuff to do for just adults (not that we ever traveled w/out our kids yet, but we brought the DMIL and DFIL!!!)

Check it out, you may find soemthing you like! Can’t wait for that TR![/QUOTE]

I read the breakfast menu for Kona - :wub:!! I’m going to have to come back there one day for all their goodies!

We are not on the DDP. And as college kids, we don’t have a really huge budget for this trip, but we were looking for a few nice things to do. Thanks for all your suggestions - they sound great! I really want to take a Boardwalk stroll… I’m going to beg for that to get added into our plans. :whistling

I didn’t know they had a book for traveling without children! I really want to take a peek at it… a trip to Barnes & Nobles may be in order!

Thanks for your help! :heart:

ha… we didn’t even think of that. :blush: I think we might. When we called they said we’d have to sit in some kind of lounge area for drinks & dessert. We were kind of bummed about it… we like the restaurant itself. Thanks!

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. They can’t force you to order dinner. You are basically reserving a table, not a meal.

California Grill is excellent but if you romantic, subdued lighting, quiet, excellent cusine, try Narcoossees with a view of the lake! You won’t regret it for the 2 of u.

Since you like seafood I suggest the Shrimp and Scallops at Kona. Really good!

Ok, OT sort of here…What’s a Kona Kone? We had dinner at Kona on our last trip and I don’t recall this.

it is an ice cream cone with lots of candy and has the cotton candy around it

I saw this when I was looking at the menu and my tummy did a little dance of joy!! Shrimps & scallops - my 2 favorite things!!!

“Shrimp and Scallops - panko breaded shrimp and pan-seared scallops with sticky rice and ponzu, spicy guava-passion fruit and wasabi cream sauces”

What is ponzu? :confused:

Also, has anyone tried either of these for an appetizer at Kona? How are they?

“Pot Stickers - wok-seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger soy sauce”
“Lump Crab Cakes - with Asian tartar and pineapple relish”