Our Dining Reviews 3/21-3/28

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Nine Dragons on 3/21/2009. This was our first visit. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

My wife and I had the Dragon Pearl cocktails, and my wife also had the Shanghai Fusion. The Dragon Pearls were excellent.

Appetizers were Egg Rolls (me), Pot Stickers (Sandy and Mo), and Summer Rolls (Mags). All were quite good, although the Summer Rolls weren’t my cup of tea.

Dinners were Nine Dragon Fried Rice (Mo), Kung Pao Chicken (Sandy), Honey Chicken (me), and the Vegetarian Stir Fry (Mags). In general, we all liked our entrees but were mixed about the rest. Personally, I thought Sandy’s Kung Pao Chicken was excellent and it was actually spicy - something you don’t normally see at WDW. I thought the Fried Rice was merely okay, but everyone else thought it was great.

For dessert, a Banana Cheesecake Eggroll was shared by everyone. It was basically a deepfried cheesecake. Slight thumbs up.

Service

Our server was Min. She was nice and service was fast. I will quibble, though, that we were not told about the specials and we didn’t have condiments (soy sauce and another item) on our table… both we figured out from neighboring tables while we were eating.

Atmosphere

The lobby is very cool with some jade colored dragon art. The dining room, though, is much less impressive. We were sitting in a large dining area with literally 6 inches between our table and the diners sitting next to us. It was incredibly loud for a restaurant that didn’t have any entertainment.

Overall Ratings (1-5 scale) and Conclusion
Me: 3 :mickey:
Sandy: 3 :mickey:
Mags: 3 :mickey:
Mo: 4 :mickey:

Mo particularly liked the Pot Stickers and her fried rice entree.

I think the comparisons to Nine Dragons and your “Chinese place down the street” is fair, but for us we thought the food was prepared at a higher level and the atmosphere was a little better. That said, it’s probably not going to be on our radar for future trips. I think there is better food, service, and atmosphere to be had at WDW and Epcot in particular.

Bruce

Thanks for this review, this is one of the restaurants we are considering for Sept. We have really good Chinese food where we live, so I’m not sure if this is a must for us.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Biergarten on 3/22/2009. This was our first visit. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

I am a big fan of German wines… particularly Rieslings of all styles. My wife and I both had 2 glasses, and both were excellent.

We live in an area that is very germanic, so we’re often disappointed by German food outside the area. Biergarten is very authentic, so that wasn’t an issue.

Buffets are always tough to review; Biergarten, for example, has tremendous variety. I could probably eat there three times, eat three different sets of food, and have three different experiences.

I definitely went the “grazing” route, trying little bits of this and that. I thought the rouladen was excellent, the sauerbraten above average (but I prefer it sliced thinner), and the pork schnitzel was terrible - completely dried out and next to inedible. I felt like the salads, sides, and desserts all shared this rollercoaster.

The family did the same and felt the same. Mo had more issues here than most places. She’s not a picky kid in the least, but she had a hard time finding things here. :huh:

Service

Our server was Nadine, and her service was above average.

Atmosphere

We were seated at a long table of 8 with 2 couples (one 60-ish, one 40-ish) who didn’t know each other. It wasn’t a friendly mix. Interaction was minimal.

The atmosphere looks like you are on the square of a German village; it’s really well done.

The entertainment was excellent; similar to things that I’ve seen all my life at Octoberfests and whatnot… just better quality. It’s VERY loud here.

Me: 3 :mickey:
Mags: 3 :mickey:
Mo: 3 :mickey:

Biergarten is a solid buffet specializing in variety, but your results are likely to be mixed. Go for the entertainment and atmosphere, and if you find something on the buffet you dig… stick with it.

Due to our familiarity with the cuisine and culture, we’re not likely to head back to Biergarten in the near future but I’m glad we went once.

Bruce

Sounds good to me. When’s lunch?

You know, the more I hear about Biergarten, the less inclined I am to try it. My father would love it I’m sure, but the rest of us, I just don’t know…

Good review.

We always seem to end up at the Biergarten because it’s one of my dd’s favourites. Like you, we always seem to get stuck at a table of unfriendly people - or maybe they think we’re unfriendly - I don’t know. I know it’s suppose to represent Oktoberfest - but I’d really prefer having a table of our own. I guess it would be fun if you went with 8 or more.

The pork schnitzel must have been having an “off” day - it’s usually my favourite, served with the lingonberry sauce and it’s never been dried out. Too bad it wasn’t good this time. The one thing I’m absolutely addicted to there are those shortbread(y) cookies with the almonds on top. It’s embarrassing how many of those I can eat.:redface:

Thanks for the review.:happy: This is one restaurant we’ve never tried - maybe some day.

Actually after being to Germany several times , I prefer the WDW Biergarten! The food is excellently prepared, the beer great, the service can’t complain, and the atmosphere is superb! Gotta go!

I love Beirgarten…I am not sure why. I’m not a huge buffet person but I always really enjoy Beirgarten. And we always get seated with the nicest people!

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate lunch at Tokyo Dining on 3/23/2009. This was our first visit. Tables in Wonderland is not accepted (DDP is). They have one menu for the entire day.

Food

My wife and I had Cherry Blossom Martinis; they were so nice and refreshing.

Our family loves sushi. Even though we are in the midwest, we do have a good quality sushi place (that looks like a dive) that serves visiting executives from Toyota. Tokyo Dining is clearly superior IMO…

For an appetizer, we shared a Sushi Deluxe. I wish I would’ve written down everything that was on the plate; I think there were 12 pieces… most were a basic fish on rice presentation that I prefer. The usual suspects were represented: salmon, shrimp, snapper, tuna, yellowfin, omelet, roe, squid, 3 pieces of tuna roll… and something that I can’t remember. It was very good.

For Entrees, Sandy, Mags, and Mo got Bento Boxes (seaweed salad, beef teriyaki, tuna sashimi, rice, and vegetable tempura). They raved about them. I got the Shinjuku Gozen (tuna, snapper, salmon sashimi; tempura of all types; small seaweed salad; rice). The sashimi was wonderful, but I was very positively suprised by the tempura. So good!

We passed on dessert. We had a dinner ADR later, and they didn’t really appeal to us anyway.

Service

Our server was Yumi who was assisted by Yumiko. Really, the entire restaurant operates as a team. They were so helpful and respectful; they have service down pat. Excellent.

Atmosphere

As a bonus, we got to see the opening ceremony since we had the first ADRs of the day. The staff of Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining line up, say some things in Japanese, and bow to the waiting customers.

When customers are being seated, the hostess announces something in Japanese and the other staff respond in greeting. Really a nice touch.

As I mentioned in my trip report, the tables are nicely spaced apart. We were able to have an actual conversation at a WDW restaurant! :happy: Our table had a view of the World Showcase; I’d also be happy to be seated in the interior where you can watch the sushi chefs (all women when we were there… which I understand is rare), and you get more of the “Japanese” vibe.

Me: 5 :mickey:
Sandy: 5 :mickey:
Mags: 5 :mickey:
Mo: 5 :mickey:

Yeah… we loved the place. I’ll be stunned if we don’t eat here on our next trip, it’s an instant favorite for our family.

[QUOTE=brumcg;948723]My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9) ate lunch at Tokyo Dining on 3/21/2009. This was our first visit. Tables in Wonderland is not accepted (DDP is). They have one menu for the entire day.

Food

My wife and I had Cherry Blossom Martinis; they were so nice and refreshing.

Our family loves sushi. Even though we are in the midwest, we do have a good quality sushi place (that looks like a dive) that serves visiting executives from Toyota. Tokyo Dining is clearly superior IMO…

For an appetizer, we shared a Sushi Deluxe. I wish I would’ve written down everything that was on the plate; I think there were 12 pieces… most were a basic fish on rice presentation that I prefer. The usual suspects were represented: salmon, shrimp, snapper, tuna, yellowfin, omelet, roe, squid, 3 pieces of tuna roll… and something that I can’t remember. It was very good.

For Entrees, Sandy, Mags, and Mo got Bento Boxes (seaweed salad, beef teriyaki, tuna sashimi, rice, and vegetable tempura). They raved about them. I got the Shinjuku Gozen (tuna, snapper, salmon sashimi; tempura of all types; small seaweed salad; rice). The sashimi was wonderful, but I was very positively suprised by the tempura. So good!

We passed on dessert. We had a dinner ADR later, and they didn’t really appeal to us anyway.

Service

Our server was Yumi who was assisted by Yumiko. Really, the entire restaurant operates as a team. They were so helpful and respectful; they have service down pat. Excellent.

Atmosphere

As a bonus, we got to see the opening ceremony since we had the first ADRs of the day. The staff of Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining line up, say some things in Japanese, and bow to the waiting customers.

When customers are being seated, the hostess announces something in Japanese and the other staff respond in greeting. Really a nice touch.

As I mentioned in my trip report, the tables are nicely spaced apart. We were able to have an actual conversation at a WDW restaurant! :happy: Our table had a view of the World Showcase; I’d also be happy to be seated in the interior where you can watch the sushi chefs (all women when we were there… which I understand is rare), and you get more of the “Japanese” vibe.

Yeah… we loved the place. I’ll be stunned if we don’t eat here on our next trip, it’s an instant favorite for our family.[/QUOTE]

I agree - we LOVE Tokyo Dining. We like it better than Teppanakyi. The service is so wonderful. (the lovely servers, the warm towels). DH and the DDS are sushi addicts. I’m not the hugest fan of sushi, but the tempura is absolutely perfect here - greaseless and tasty.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Tony’s Town Square on 3/23/2009. This was our first visit. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

I know many people who are very picky when it comes to Italian food. Well, that’s not my family. Growing up, “Italian” came from a jar, and a box, and a green can with pulverized cheese in it. When it comes to Italian food, I’m an easy mark.

Mags, Mo, and I shared a calamari appetizer. It was pretty good, and I was partial to the olive relish served with it. The marina dipping sauce, though, I felt was very bland. My wife ordered the Flavors of Italy (olives, sliced deli meats, roasted garlic, and artichokes) that came with 1 crustini, a pesto dipping sauce, and a sundried tomato dipping sauce. Frankly, that 1 litte crustini was a bit small for all of that garlic and those two dipping sauces. Also, I should mention that the bread was your basic plain white bread. Huh.

Dinners were Shrimp Scampi (Mo), Casear Salad (Sandy), Spaghetti & Meatballs (me), and Chicken Parmigiana (Mags). I rather liked Mo’s Shrimp Scampi, but I didn’t care for my own meal or Maggie’s. The marinara was just so bland and my meatballs had little flavor. The kids were so-so about their meals. I actually sandbagged on my own entree in hopes that I could switch to Mo’s if she ran out of gas (she did). Sandy had the best luck by going the double appetizer route.

For dessert, Sandy got Tiramisu. Above average.

Service

Our server was Kham. I’ll be blunt, I thought she was a bit on the odd side, but service was okay.

Atmosphere

I thought the Lady and the Tramp theme was done very tastefully, and we were seated right next to the fountain. The restaurant - like most MK spots - was hectic and loud.

Me: 2.5 :mickey:
Sandy: 2.5 :mickey:
Mags: 2.5 :mickey:
Mo: 3 :mickey:

Overall, this got our worst rating for the trip. We won’t be returning anytime soon, but if we do I’ll be all over the Shrimp Scampi or I’ll explore the other parts of the menu.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Rose & Crown on 3/24/2009. This was our third visit to R&C. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

I had a vodka Martini (I requested house vodka which ended up being Skyy); at $7.25 it wasn’t a bad deal. My wife had Rainbow Tinis which were a bit too “Rainbow” for my taste. :laugh:

Appetizers were the cheese plate (good) and Mags had a bowl of Potato and Leek soup which she didn’t share… :glare:

Dinners were Bangers and Mash (Mags and Sandy), Lamb Two Ways (chops and shepherds pie) (me), and a kids meal - gasp! - (Mo). I had enjoyed the Bangers and Mash on our trip two years ago, but I thought this version was superior. Really good! I enjoyed my Lamb Two Ways… but I liked the Bangers better. Mo was happy with her meal.

For dessert, Sticky Toffee Pudding (Mags), the Celebration Chocolate Cake (Mo), and Bailey’s Irish Coffee Trifle (Sandy and me). Sandy and I also ordered Port… she the 10 year and me the 20 year; they were out of the 10 year, so they gave Sandy the 20 year at the 10 year price. :happy: To my suprise, this was the best round of desserts we had on the entire trip. Each one was excellent, but I really liked the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Service

Our server was Tom; he was merely okay… but he had a great deal of juggling to do. One of the other servers went around entertaining kids (and adults) with some sleight of hand magic that was unexpected.

Atmosphere

Without Illuminations, I’d have to give R&C low marks on the upper level view seating. You’re talking basic tables and chairs and surprisingly there were some things on the floor (a knife, sugar packets, etc…) that were left on the floor the entire time we were there. But… well, you do have Illuminations don’t you… :laugh: We had an 8:00 ADR, requested window seating, and were seated around 8:20. The Hostess… bless her… noticed that we were wearing shorts and t-shirts and sat us in the upper level protected seating instead of the lower level where we would have froze.

Also, Mo made friends with 363-day old baby (Tessa) sitting next to us. Best baby ever! She loved the fireworks… :blink:

Me: 4 :mickey:
Sandy: 4 :mickey:
Mags: 4.5 :mickey:

If anything, we may have underrated a bit. Rose and Crown is among our Epcot favorites and is a candidate for our dining plans on each trip to WDW.

My DH REALLY wants to go to Biergarten next time and I am very unsure about it. He comes from a long line of Germans so that is why he has this need to go!! I could probably find some things, but my kids I’m not sure. But it sounds like a lot of fun! I may have to give in and go because I keep telling him “next time…” “next time…” It’s wearing on him I think!!
Thanks for the review!

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Hoop on 3/25/2009. This was our third visit.

Food

Okay… it’s not about the food; let’s get that straight. That said, the salad, cornbread, fried chicken, pork ribs, mashed potatoes, baked beans, and strawberry shortcake are all above average. For this trip, the fried chicken in particular was quite good.

My wife and I both indulge in the sangria. Hey, I tried to get my money’s worth. :blush:

Service

Our server was Allyn (we think); the servers here all do a great job, they are literally on the run the entire time, and are a small part of the show. I never had to wait for a sangria refill. :happy:

Atmosphere

It’s supposed to resemble a pioneer dining hall, and it fits that to a tee. We sat in Category 1 (table 33) which was third row center.

It’s all about the entertainment. When I first heard about Hoop, I always said that it sounded dreadful. I had to be talked into going. Singin’, dancin’, and corny jokes? No, not for me.

Boy, I can be dumb sometimes.

Hoop is among my very favorite things in all of WDW. Honestly, I can’t think of anything that tops it. The performers (including the musicians) give every bit of 100%. The jokes are corny, groan inducing, and sometimes obvious… but that’s all part of the fun. I smile throughout the entire show and for the rest of the night; that’s not easy to do.

I suspected that I might not like repeat viewings of Hoop, but I was wrong again. This trip was my favorite…

Mo: 4.5 :mickey:

The kids ding it slightly because they are freaked they’ll be involved in the show… :blink:

I can’t recommend Hoop enough. I thought that I’d hate it, and I absolutely love it. I’ll be surprised if we don’t do this almost every trip - it’s perfect for our “down” day.

Thank you so much for these recent reviews of restaurants! Most of these places, I’ve eaten at but it’s been a few years, so it’s nice to see this. I like that it’s in a separate thread from your TR, so if people are looking for just dining reviews, it’s easy to find. Thanks again!

(Also, I think this may be post 300 for me! Yeah!)

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate breakfast at Chef Mickey’s on 3/26/2009. This was our fifth visit for breakfast, and our sixth visit to CM overall. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

:nuke: Fair warning! :nuke: Over the years, I’ve grown tired of breakfast at most places in WDW… particulary buffets and all-you-care-to-eat deals. They all feel the same. I’m content if I can get strawberries or pineapple, something savory, and something sweet that I like. Add a nice entertainment element, and I’ll actually be happy.

I know that everyone’s mileage varies when it comes to buffets, but the only thing I liked at CM’s this year were the various potato dishes. This was our first encounter with the WDW buffet bacon that must be something new in the last 2 years; it used to be passable, but this stuff… well, we wondered if it was “real” bacon. I was paper thin with a weird texture. Wow… I have now met a bacon that I didn’t like. I’m a sucker for corn beef hash… and they had it… but it was combined with cornbread in some type of odd casserole. On my second trip to the line I came back with potatoes; nothing else appealed to me.

The rest of the family felt the same way. Weird. :blink:

Service

Our server was Barbara. She was fine.

The buffet service was okay too… but they did have french toast that was always empty. Maybe that was the one great item on the buffet? :confused:

The check-in process was much improved from our last visit; it used to be a mess.

Atmosphere

CM has been renovated/reorganized since our last visit, and the changes were very well done. The whole place is designed around the character experience. I love seeing the monorail go though the Contemporary while we’re eating.

The characters are always great, but Mo just doesn’t love them like she used to; that’s not CM’s fault at all, of course, but it does impact our overall enjoyment. The characters were also in a rush… I think they were trying to turn around tables in 45 minutes; that’s too fast IMO.

Me: 2.5 :mickey:
Mags: 2.5 :mickey:

Honestly, Mo’s rating is out of line with her experience… but she still wants to love her Chef Mickey’s which is always her pick.

Personally, all of us but Mo are willing to move on from CM. That said, it’s a great place to see the characters, and you never know what might be on the buffet the day you are there.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Artist Point on 3/26/2009. This was our tenth visit IIRC. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

I had a North Flight Martini (Grey Goose & Bleu Cheese Olives) and my wife had a concocation called the Northwestern Exposure. I also had a wine flight with my meal - perfectly paired with the food. My daughters both had hot tea; it was a good quality tea and they were fascinated by the raw sugar cubes. :laugh:

I’m a big fan of Pacific Northwest wines; the flights used to be four pours instead of three though… and these days they just automatically give you the recommended “by the book” wine with each course. I do miss the old days when they went “off script” more often.

Appetizers were Boar Tenderloin (me) and Smoky Portobello Soup (Sandy and Mags). Excellent all around.

Dinners were Vegetarian Pot Stickers (Mo), Cedar Planked Salmon (Sandy), Scallops (me), and the Buffalo Short Rib (Mags). I don’t know what else to say… I thought everything was nearly perfect. Sandy didn’t like the pork belly served as an accompaniment to her salmon (good gravy, I thought it was delicious).

For dessert, Mo got the cobber, Mags had the Berries in Oregon Muscat Wine, and I had the Rosemary-Orange Creme Brulee. Sandy wasn’t thrilled with the choices and went with a Wilderness Coffee. I’ll admit that Mag’s dessert wasn’t to my liking. It came with a no-sugar added mint mousse that I think is a tough sell. My wife thought that my creme brulee was heavy on the rosemary… I could only detect the smallest hint.

Service

Our server was Diana, and she was the overall best server on our entire trip. I was torn between the duck and the buffalo short rib, and she wisely guided me past those to the scallops. She also pointed me to the boar tenderloin for an appetizer… not anything I would normally order.

To me, service is one of the big keys at Artist Point. Even though it’s a “signature” dining experience, I definitely don’t want stuffy servers. Our last 2 servers at AP were too stiff for my tastes, but Diana was back to what we expect and love from the AP staff.

Atmosphere

The theme of the Wilderness Lodge carries over into Artist Point; it’s almost high-end rustic in feel. I’m always amazed that they almost effortlessly handle families coming straight from the parks and couples semi-dressed up looking for an elegant meal. It’s one of the “business casual” restaurants, but that code is so broad that it really doesn’t have an impact (for which, I’m grateful).

Sandy: 4.5 :mickey:

Sandy’s slight ding came because she wasn’t thrilled with the dessert selection, and she wasn’t thrilled with the accompaniments to her salmon. Besides the “pork belly” issue, she pointed out that “brussels sprouts” evidently means 1 brussels sprout… which was exactly what was on her plate. I have noticed this at AP in the past… the accompaniments can certainly go the micro route.

Artist Point is my favorite place to eat in the world. Not just WDW, the entire world. If you can do a splurge (our bill was just south of $200 w/o tip), it’s worth it IMO. We’ll certainly be there on our next trip.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate dinner at Chefs de France on 3/27/2009. This was our second visit. We used Tables in Wonderland.

Food

I had a Cocktail des Chefs (sparkling wine & black currant) and a glass of Pinot Noir with dinner; Sandy had a different cocktail. All were very good.

Appetizers were Lobster Bisque for Sandy and Mags, and I decided to experiment and ordered the Assiette Campagnarde (according to the menu, a rustic assortment of French pates and charcuteries). I’m not a bisque fan, but Sandy and Mags raved about it. I’m glad I ordered mine, but I probably wouldn’t get it again.

For entrees, we had Duck (me), Vegetable Lasagna (Mags & Mo), and Snapper. The Lasagna was a bit hit with everyone except me. As for the duck, well, honestly I think I do a better job at home. Sandy enjoyed her snapper, and she received a very large portion.

We had good coffee and cappuccinos for dessert, and creme brulee (me), sorbet (Mags), and Profiterolles (Sandy and Mo). Excellent all around.

Service

Our server was Julie; she was very good.

Atmosphere

We had a nice window view and got to waive at Belle several times. Chefs feels right, but it is very loud, tables are pretty close together, and they really make a concerted effort to turn the tables over quickly.

Armand and Remy came around to the tables around dessert. Remy is very well done, and the act is pretty good… but it all happens so quickly. Remy was at our table for maybe 30 seconds and left even as I was asking for one more picture.

Me: 3.5 :mickey:
Sandy: 3.5 :mickey:
Mags: 4 :mickey:

This wasn’t as good as our trip to Chefs 2 years ago, but I think some of that is my fault. I strayed from Julie’s recommendations and paid the price. I think Chefs will stay on our radar in the future, and the addition of Remy is a very nice touch.

My wife (Sandy), daughters (Mags 17 & Mo 9), and I ate breakfast at Crystal Palace on 3/28/2009. I’m going to guess that this is about our 7th trip to CP… probably our third breakfast there. We used Tables in Wonderland. It’s been a tradition for us to eat at CP on our last day, and I used the opportunity to get into MK early to stroll down Main St. nearly empty.

Food

If you look above at my Chef Mickey’s review, you’ll see how I feel about WDW breakfast buffets in general. My wife tried to talk us out of the ADR the night before, but there wasn’t a suitable alternative.

So, of course, it was great. They had a puffed french toast on the kids table that was insanely good. Strawberries and pineapple both, so I was very happy. Corned Beef Hash that was excellent. My wife did give big thumbs down to the Breakfast Lasagna though… I’m not sure what it was supposed to be. The bizzarre buffet bacon was here too, but easily avoided.

Personally, I think the breakfast buffets are just too random. I know that on one trip we were up on Chef Mickeys and down on Crystal Palace.

Service

Our service was very good… but I don’t have a record of his name.

Atmosphere

I like the brightness and openess of Crystal Palace, and I like the space around the buffet area. It never feels crowded.

The character experience was also a notch better than CM this time. The characters were at the table longer and all of them made an effort to engage Mags.

Me: 4 :mickey:
Sandy: 4.5 :mickey:
Mo: 4.5 :mickey:

Frankly, my expectations were far exceeded. I’d lay money that on our next trip… due to the good experience and tradition both… we’ll end up back at Crystal Palace on our next trip.