Our "my tummy hurts" TR

A few thoughts on our Sept trip.

No pictures, no super snappy title, no day by day. Just random thoughts here and there.

Weather. First day, raining cats, dogs, tigers, lions and bears. But we just sat in the lobby waiting for our room. I carried the magic heavy ponchos for several days, so of course it didn’t rain those days. A few days we had a little rain, not much more than a drizzle for a short time. A few hot days, but not terribly hot. The rest was I believe low 80’s.

Rooms… We had a two bedroom savanna at kidani for 6 nights. Very close to the pool, which means a hike to the lobby, but since we had a car, it didn’t matter most of the time. Saw some animals but not what I would call a lot. The room itself is great, nice size. Love the master bath. Odd thing in the kitchen, all the cabinets have dishes or whatever in them. We had to move stuff to have room for the food we brought.

After family left, DH and I moved to a studio. As I mentioned in another thread, DH got sick during the night of the 29. The front desk helped me get a room before we had to check out of the 2 bedroom. The new room (studio) was standard view. It was very close to the lobby. Our patio/balcony was right on the circle where cars pull in. The ME luggage truck parked right outside our room. At first I thought “oh no”, but there really wasn’t much noise from the truck. The drum playing from the entrance of the resort was more of an annoyance. But DH was so sick, we didn’t care, he would have never lasted if we had been “homeless” or have had to move to another resort. Just walking down the hall, he asked me to slow down. The studio was very close to those lookouts with the rocking chairs, so it really was not a bad location. I thought this would be great, but then of course, I got sick too. So we couldn’t enjoy being close to the lookouts.

Parks - Epcot was mobbed over the weekend, but they seemed pretty good otherwise.

Meals—Boma had 4 soups, none of the ones I liked, but they did sell those soups at Mara, so I got some on another day. I’m not a big boma fan, my DH likes it. I don’t go away hungry but last trip it was the soups that I loved. I believe the other adults enjoyed the meal. The kids ate chicken legs and mac and cheese.

Ohana….food was good, service was bad.   We got the salad and pot stickers/chicken wings, then right away the server comes round with chicken, didn’t even ask, just starts dropping chicken on people’s plates.  The kids weren’t even seated and she is putting food on the plates.  Repeat with the other meats.  It was like “let’s get these people out in 10 mins or less”.  Never came back with more meats.  A different server asked if we wanted dessert.  This is while we all still had full plates of food.  We said no.  So we finished eating and we are waiting and waiting , must have been 15- 20 mins before dessert came.  So it comes and she says, “do you think you’ll want more”.  We said yes.  So the first few people took what they wanted.  Again we waited for the second dessert.   Server comes back and says “Do you want more dessert”?    We look at each other…..didn’t we say yes 10 mins ago?  Refills on drinks were very slow too.   The ukulele lady had called in sick, so they had someone from the luau filled in but there wasn’t any hula dancing or coconut racing.  So disappointing for the kids.

BOG for lunch …. Don’t understand what the big deal is.  Seemed very hectic.   Maybe at dinner it’s calmer without people running around for drinks and silverware and such.

Mugs……We bought one mug. The CM told me you have 70 seconds to fill the mug and then the wait is 2 ½ mins. Many people have said but I get a mug, drink it and then refill. I got a mug, drank a little, dumped some out and then tried to fill some more. The second fill was maybe a few oz. and it stopped saying fill complete. So you can’t down a mug and then refill it, but. if you fill it, drink 2 or 3 oz, you still have time to add more soda. Not sure how much ounce wise you can get in one fill.

So that’s it. Getting sick really put a damper on the trip. The TR writing muse just isn’t with me for this round. Sorry.

So sorry that you guys got sick - always puts such a damper on the trip! Thanks for giving us a report!

In all our trips, and we have taken at least 20, DH was sick once for one day. This really threw (no pun intended) us for a loop. At one point I was like forget about the bed, I’ll just lie on the nice cold floor, I don’t have the strength to make it 10 more ft.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1138636]In all our trips, and we have taken at least 20, DH was sick once for one day. This really threw (no pun intended) us for a loop. At one point I was like forget about the bed, I’ll just lie on the nice cold floor, I don’t have the strength to make it 10 more ft.[/QUOTE]`

Ugh! I know that feeling well!

That’s about how my DD was that time she was sick…I had to drag her off the bathroom floor back to bed…every day I found housekeeping and got clean towels…when she was finally able to get out and about for a bit…they were really good about coming right in and changing the sheets and cleaning up a bit…

I’m so sorry you were sick, that really stinks. My husband was sick on a trip years ago and it wasn’t any fun.

You know what you need…a redo trip. Yep, start planning.

Sick at Disney is the worst!!! I’m so sorry that happened to you two!

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1138662]I’m so sorry you were sick, that really stinks. My husband was sick on a trip years ago and it wasn’t any fun.

You know what you need…a redo trip. Yep, start planning.[/QUOTE]

Well, the points won’t let us have one. Even with renting extra points from Richard, we still need our points for the spring trip with DGS.

What really hurts with getting sick was we missed a lot of stuff when the kids were there, so we were going to use those 3/12 days as catch up days. We did get to Epcot for a few hours and caught a few shows, but that was it. We walked by all those yummy food carts in epcot because DH was afraid anything to spicy would be too much for his tummy.

We were at disney for 9 days and spent 1/2 day at MK. We had done almost nothing at MK and wanted a full day there.

Why aren’t I rich and have 2,000 points like everyone else??? oh woe is me…the sky is falling…:rolleyes::rolleyes::crying::crying::whistling:whistling not sure which one is appropriate, take your pick

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1138676]Well, the points won’t let us have one. Even with renting extra points from Richard, we still need our points for the spring trip with DGS.

What really hurts with getting sick was we missed a lot of stuff when the kids were there, so we were going to use those 3/12 days as catch up days. We did get to Epcot for a few hours and caught a few shows, but that was it. We walked by all those yummy food carts in epcot because DH was afraid anything to spicy would be too much for his tummy.

We were at disney for 9 days and spent 1/2 day at MK. We had done almost nothing at MK and wanted a full day there.

Why aren’t I rich and have 2,000 points like everyone else??? oh woe is me…the sky is falling…:rolleyes::rolleyes::crying::crying::whistling:whistling not sure which one is appropriate, take your pick[/QUOTE]

Well…this everyone else isn’t rich and doesn’t have any points…so you are not alone. I just can’t justify going more often than every other year…we have lots of other expenses…

But…I can say that because we only go every two or three years we really really REALLY appreciate our time there and look forward to it.

I’m sorry this visit was not what you planned…start planning the next one that you can comfortably work out… :crying:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1138678]Well…this everyone else isn’t rich and doesn’t have any points…so you are not alone. I just can’t justify going more often than every other year…we have lots of other expenses…

But…I can say that because we only go every two or three years we really really REALLY appreciate our time there and look forward to it.

I’m sorry this visit was not what you planned…start planning the next one that you can comfortably work out… :crying:[/QUOTE]

The only reason we can go now is we are past college, wedding and mortgage bills.

Back when the kids were young, we went every three or four yrs. During the college/wedding period, we didn’t go to disney for nine yrs.

We like to say we are spending the kids inheritance, just to save them all that paper work.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1138681]The only reason we can go now is we are past college, wedding and mortgage bills.

Back when the kids were young, we went every three or four yrs. During the college/wedding period, we didn’t go to disney for nine yrs.

We like to say we are spending the kids inheritance, just to save them all that paper work.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh: Good idea

We are past the “kids” stage too! :slight_smile: Waiting for the GKs now…

Oh, I am so sorry you and your DH got sick. That is the worst.

I did BOG lunch on my trip earlier this year and though I enjoyed it, I also didn’t get the fuss. We waited in line for about 30 minutes and I would not do that again. This trip I was able to get a FP for lunch so we are going to give it a try because my mom really wants to see it.

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1138781]Oh, I am so sorry you and your DH got sick. That is the worst.

I did BOG lunch on my trip earlier this year and though I enjoyed it, I also didn’t get the fuss. We waited in line for about 30 minutes and I would not do that again. This trip I was able to get a FP for lunch so we are going to give it a try because my mom really wants to see it.[/QUOTE]

We sat in the main room and it was very noisy, with people and carts moving all over the place. Afterward we looked into the other rooms and they were smaller and seemed quieter to me. If I went again, I think I’d try the other rooms.

We sat in the West Wing and it was still pretty noisy. It seems that they haven’t done a great job of sound proofing the kitchen area. It was a lot of hustle and bustle on one side of the room where all the carts were going in and out. And though I like the cart idea, it does make for a lot of activity!

Sick at Disney is just not fair! I am so sorry, Jo-jo :frowning: