Our Very Merry (or not so Merry) Christmas at WDW

We left around 9 AM Monday. We drove down to Kissimmee, Fl in less then 4 hours. The only downer was that I woke up that morning with a little touch of a headache. It was just enough of a headache to bother me.

We arrived at All Star Movies & checked in. We went to our room. Unlocked the door. We laid down for a refreshing, power nap. When we awoke, I still had my tiny, nagging headache.

We went down & explored the resort for a while. We went back to our room & unlocking the door, we freshened up & left to find a place to eat supper.

We rode the bus to the MK where we caught the monorail to the Polynisian Resort. We were going to go to Ohana’s to eat but they had a 2 hour wait. That was a little too long for us. So, we opted for the Kona Cafe. They only had a 10 minute wait.

I ordered the prime rib & DH ordered the shrimp & scallops. Both meals was about $20.00 each. I got this generous cut of prime rib with mashed taters & broccolli. DH got 3 (THREE) shrimp & 3 (THREE) scallops with WHITE RICE! Talk about feeling ripped off! I ended up giving him part of my food or he would have starved! Although the food was good, we will probably not eat there again.

We explored the Polynisian Resort for a while. But, it was getting late & we were tired so off we go back to our resort.

We are in the Dalmation Building on the 3rd floor near the large dog. We climb the stairs up to our floor. We insert our door card. Nothing happens. We try it again. Nothing. I try the other card. Nada! So, while DH waits outside the door, I walk down the stairs, across the resort yard, into the ASM building & up to the desk.

I explain our keys are not working. The lady tells me that the door light indicates the battery inside the lock is dead. She will call for a ‘runner’ to come & let us into our room. Then, they will replace the batteries. She, also, tells me that there is a phone by the elevators that I can use to call the desk if I have any further problems. I leave & return to wait with my DH outside our 3rd floor room.

And WAIT we did. We waited & waited & waited some more. This is not helping my headache. Finally after 20 minutes, I take the elevator down to the ground floor & use the phone to call the front desk.

I get another woman. I explain our situation to her. She tells me to wait another 10 or 15 minutes as the ‘runner’ has to ‘make stops’. I am like: “What do you mean: make stops?” Don’t you understand we are locked outside our room? We need to get inside. She says he should be there in 10 to 15 minutes.

Oh, great. I take the elevator up to our floor & wait with DH outside our room as another 15 or 20 minutes pass by. DH is beginning to seethe. If he ever gets into the room he wants to gather our stuff & leave. I am trying to calm him down but secretly, I am just as upset.

By this time 40 minutes have passed by. I go back down to to the phone. I call the front desk. I get, yet, another woman. I explain the situation to her. I, also, tell her it has been 40 minutes now & we are still locked out of our room.

She begins to laugh & tells me that we are trying to get into the WRONG room. That we are in Room # ****. No, I say, this room is our room. It is the number on our card holder that holds our room cards. We have been in that room twice today. Our luggage is in that room.

NO, she says, YOUR LUGGAGE CAN NOT BE IN THAT ROOM! IT IS NOT YOUR ROOM!

If I could have reached through that phone & pulled that woman back through, I would have!! I was just that angry!!

I am fuming. I said to her, I WILL BE RIGHT THERE! I take our room card holder & room cards and march over to the front desk. (I have really gotten my exercise that day) I speak with yet another lady. I am quite upset. I see a gentleman in a suit walking behind her. I call out to him & ask if he is the manager. He is. With my voice raising with each word, I explain to him our ordeal. I am nearly in tears at this point.

The gentleman remains calm. He handles the situation within minutes. He made us new cards. He was extremely nice. But, we should not have had to wait over an hour to get into our room. The sun had set. We were upset. My headache was worse. We went to bed. So ends Day 1 at the Happiest Place on Earth.

OH gosh, not a good start! And strangely enough the SAME exact thing happened to us at the Disneyland Hotel. Our keys didn’t work & we had to wait forever, sitting on the floor in the hallway for someone to come. We even ended up getting counter service nachos to eat while we were waiting. :pinch: Eventually a security official came, opened the door, & required us to show proper id that it was indeed our room. The whole incident took about an hour of our last day in Disneyland away from us. :sad:

Anyway, I hope the rest of your trip brightens up!

Glad to see your TR.

Wow. What a start to your trip. I hope it gets better.

Sorry you got off to a rocky start. I hope to hear that the rest of your trip improves and that darn headache went away.

YIKES! Certainly not a merry beginning.

We love the Kona Cafe, sorry it disappointed you. I have always had ample portions there, sorry your dh got skimped on. :frowning:

Wow, not a good way to kick off a trip, I hope it get better.

Wow! Not a great start. I hope it gets bbetter for you as it goes along. I can’t wait to read mre

That certainly isn’t a good start to your trip. I hope all was better after that point and that your headache didn’t turn into a flu!

:noo:When it rains it pours!! Hope it gets better:biggrin:

Gee, a bumpy start.
I would have gone to the bar and told them where to find me if and when they finally had figured out that yes, I belong into that room and how to make a new key. And then they would have picked up the tab for the drinks and that’s that :laugh:

Sorry it started off bad, next time you have a headache, don’t let it linger, “murphy’s law” is it will get worst. Just keep a positive attitude and hopefully their will be no more bumps in your plans.

[QUOTE=Dopey;915607]Gee, a bumpy start.
I would have gone to the bar and told them where to find me if and when they finally had figured out that yes, I belong into that room and how to make a new key. And then they would have picked up the tab for the drinks and that’s that :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Oh, hehehe, yes, that would have been the thing to do!!

Oh my!! What a rough start!!! I hope your trip got better!!

Day 2:

One of the things we like best about staying inside the park is not having to drive anywhere. We used all modes of transportation simply because we could. I tell you, we are kids trapped in old bodies. lol

During our stay, the weather was really nice. It was in the low 80’s. I wore short sleeve shirts & pants. But, I could have worn shorts. It was warm enough to go swimming had I brought my bathing suit. I wore a slip on, light weight sweater late at night when it turned a bit chilly.

We have one credit card which is Disney’s Visa. It collects Reward Dollars. When we know we are going to WDW, I turn them in & use my Disney Dollars in WDW. I buy food, clothing, snacks, etc. It sure helps out.

We were up early Tuesday morning with my tiny headache still in tow. Only now, I had a tiny lower back twinge to go along with my tiny little headache. It wasn’t the bed. My lower back does that sometimes.

We grabbed a quick bite at the food court. ( Then, we were off to Epcot as they were having extra morning hour. Another plus for staying inside the park.

The first thing we did was the Living With the Land ride. This is one of DH favorite things to do since he loves growing a garden. Here they grow fruits & vegetable hydoponicly. (sp?) Epcot uses these fruits & vegetable in their restaurants.

We did Ellen’s Universe of Energy, the Circle of Life, Soarin’, the Norway ride & the ride in Mexico. By then, we were ready for lunch. We were in the World Showcase where we walked around looking at menus. We decided to eat at Chefs de France.

They brought both of us a roll with butter. The soup de jour (soup of the day) was Pumpkin Soup. I asked if it was served hot or cold & was it good. The waitress told me it was a good, hot soup. I like to try new foods so I ordered this to begin with. It was absolutely delicious! It was a hot, cream style soup & not at all sweet. Didn’t even taste like pumpkin. Hubby, also, liked it.

DH ordered the croque monsieur et sa salade verte - French toasted ham and cheese sandwich served with a green salad. - $12.25. I ordered the crepe basquaise - large crepe filled with smoked chicken strips, peppers and onions, grilled and served with a mixed salad. - $12.75. Both items were absolutely delish! DH said it was much better & cost less then the Kono Cafe. I totally agreed.

We decided to go back to our room to rest as we had tickets to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party that night. We held our breath as we inserted our key card into our door. Happily for us, it worked. We took a nice long nap.

More TR to follow tomorrow.

sounds like it is on the mend… Have a great trip.

Happy to hear Epcot was better for ya. I love the land. I love seeing how everything is made and where they grow their viggies. Can’t wait to read more.

wow, rough first day. I also agree, you should have gone to the bar and had Disney pick up the tab. There is no reason you should have had to wait that long.

except for the headache, glad day 2 was better.

Glad to hear the trip is getting better. For future benefit, I have learned a tip from my bro-in-law that works VERY well in this situation and ones like it.

If you HAVE to wait - Wait in front of their face. This works especially well if you have kids and they are whiny or tired.

Seriously, though…go down to the the front desk and tell them you will wait there until someone opens your door. You won’t cause problems, but you would rather wait where they can see you.

My bro-in-law does this EVERYWHERE…even at the fast food drive throughs when they tell you to pull up and they will bring the food to you…he just politely says I would rather wait right here until you get my food ready. It pushes them to get you taken care of. I don’t go that far, but I would have probaly used the tactic in your situation.

[QUOTE=dadofthree;915863]Glad to hear the trip is getting better. For future benefit, I have learned a tip from my bro-in-law that works VERY well in this situation and ones like it.

If you HAVE to wait - Wait in front of their face. This works especially well if you have kids and they are whiny or tired.

Seriously, though…go down to the the front desk and tell them you will wait there until someone opens your door. You won’t cause problems, but you would rather wait where they can see you.

My bro-in-law does this EVERYWHERE…even at the fast food drive throughs when they tell you to pull up and they will bring the food to you…he just politely says I would rather wait right here until you get my food ready. It pushes them to get you taken care of. I don’t go that far, but I would have probaly used the tactic in your situation.[/QUOTE]
that is such a great tip.

Great tip. Wish we had known sooner. lol

After our power nap, I noticed my lower backache was gone. Still, had my teeny-weeny headache though. We got ready & left for the Magic Kingdom. We were going to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas party. This was a first for us.

We entered & got our wrist bands. We entered Main Street. We found a seat on the curb across from the ice cream shop. I walked across the street & got us an ice cream sunday which we shared. We ate it sitting on the curb. We were waiting for it to begin snowing. Sure enough, around 6 PM it began to snow.

We decided to walk to Frontierland, find a seat & wait for the parade. We found a bench which we shared with an older couple. There was a younger couple seated on the next bench beside us. I walked over & brought us back two cups of hot chocolate & cookies. All of us sat there drinking hot chocolate, eating our cookies & visiting.

While we were waiting for the parade, two couples from Louisiana asked if it would bother us if they sat down in front of us. No, it would not bother us at all. Well, as soon as the parade began these thoughtless dummies stood up. So, in order for me to see & take pictures, I had to stand up on the bench. So, did the other people on the next bench. The elderly couple couldn’t stand on the bench so they couldn’t see the parade very well at all.

Well, dummy Louisiana man sees me standing up & says something like… ‘That’s a good idea’. Then, I said, “WELL, I COULDN’T SEE!!” He just turns back around & stands there along with his wife & his or her parents! The young lady on the next bench looks at me & says: ‘Guess he can’t take a hint!’ All of us were very upset at these thoughtlessly, rude people.

In my pictures there are their heads or hands waving in the air. I’ve tried my best to crop them out. All of us left without speaking to them as soon as the parade was over. I hope they read this & know who they are!!

DH & I dash to POC & the HM. There were no lines. We walk right onto the ride. We go to the front of the castle where we watch the fireworks as the castle changes color. Tinker Bell flew out of the top window in the castle. I got some great pictures of the fireworks.

After the fireworks, we fight the crowd, we are going back to Frontierland. DH wants a turkey leg. We share it. It’s getting late so we decide to head back to our resort. We don’t want to be caught in that crazy, mad-dash, closing MK crowd. We’ve been there/done that & don’t want to do it again!

It’s after midnight before we get to our resort & into bed. I had no trouble sleeping that night. zzzzzzz