Out of these 4 Deluxe Resorts, which would you choose?

I am on a mission to do something different every time we go to “the world” this year and I am curious about something…

In the past, I have booked rooms at all of the mods and as far as deluxe resorts go, I have stayed at the Yacht Club, Beach Club and I have flirted with the Swan & Dolphin (I know, not Disney per se) as well, mainly because I am an EPCOT kinda guy. :cool:

Well, this is the year of change and needless to say, I have never booked a room at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian WL or the AK Lodge.
I should mention that it has always been a dream of mine to stay at the contemporary in a tower “theme park view” room but “price” has ALWAYS been a factor in preventing such things.

Anyways, I’ve been pricing out all of the above five mentioned resorts and for the most part, the price difference is very slim. And even though I have never stayed at the Contemporary and it’s always been a dream of mine, I can’t ignore the fact that the Polynesian Resort’s grounds & pool are magnificent as are the Grand Floridian’s! And the AKL Arusha Savannah views sound so cool!

On to the point of this thread! :happy:

I am planning on booking a long weekend sometime in the fall so here is where my curiosity comes in to play:

If you had a chance to stay at the Contemporary, Polynesian, GF or AKL, which one would you book a room at and why?

I say if the Contemporary is your dream go for it! You can’t go wrong with any of them and you are within walking distance to the MK at the Contemporary. I personally think that a monorail resort would be great!

Can’t say anything much better…It’s your dream…go for it :happy:

Well being an Epcot guy like me I would say the Polynesian and not because it is my favorite resort because I love the Contemporary and AKL also. The AKL is great to experience the resort and to get to the DAK but not convenient for other locations. Also one of my favorite thing about most Deluxe resorts is being able to get to other resorts to visit, eat or shop easily. AKL is not near anything you can walk to. That being said everyone needs to try AKL sometime. I have stayed a few times and visit almost every trip to eat.
Now the reason I say Polynesian over the other Monorail resorts is for two things. One being you like Epcot and you can’t get to Epcot any easier than from the Polynesian. I even consider it more convenient than from the Epcot resorts. Why??? Well you don’t have to walk more than a 5 minute walk to the monorail and take an 8 minute ride on the monorail where you are cool, or dry depending on the weather. I remember too many times where I was running back to the Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin or Boardwalk in the rain or dying in the hot sun.
The other reason is that the cheapest rooms at the Polynesian (garden view) have views of the gardens, the monorail, the marina, the beaches, the lagoon and even some in Tokelau can see the castle for a GV price.

Well those are my reasons. Good luck on your decision.

Aloha

Steve

Comtemporary has not been an interest to me. AK is really nice but so far from everything else. I would say GF or Poly. Poly is beautiful and can’t be beat on location. I absolutly LOVE the beach area. It is so relazing. I have not stayed there but have sat on the beach and have eaten at Ohannas. GF is just plain pretty. Again, location cannot be beat. I don’t have that same relaxing feeling but the grounds are beautiful. I can imagine the beach are is nice to. I don’t know if that helps but either one you pick, you certainly cannot go wrong. You get gorgeous whatever you pick.

The Poly. I :heart: the tropics.

AKL would be nice but it’s so far off the beaten path and if Epcot if your fav you’d still be on the rail with Poly.
The Contemporary would be my last choice of any on property, but that’s only because that type of themeing/design just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Have to admit I’m a Grand Floridian girl, but unless DVC builds there, I’ll probably never get to stay. If Contemporary is your favourite then you should give it a try!

It all depends on what kind of weekend you are looking to have.

If you want to spend a lot of time at epcot then I would go for POLY

If you want to have an adventurous weekend I would go with WL or AKL

If you want to have a romantic weekend then I would go with GF (the rooms look so bed and breakfasty.) POLY can fit this category too depending on what you find romantic.

The tower view at Contemporary sounds awesome but maybe you want to save that “dream room” for something special! Unless of course this is a “something special” weekend… if so then I would go for it!

Its always special if you can get to WDW for a weekend, have a great trip and happy planning:)

When I booked my upcoming fall trip, I had a similar decision to make. I have stayed Wilderness Lodge, and I love it. It’s kind of removed from the other resorts, so it can be a nice refuge, the theme is outstanding, and I really like the restraurants there. Still, I have always dreamed of staying at the Contemporary, with a view of MK, so(with the help of a pin) I am. I didn’t select Poly because, while it’s lovely, I wanted to be in a single building resort(to minimize walking in and out of a/c all the time), and Grand Floridian doesn’t really appeal to me. I have thought about AK, but it’s too far removed from the other parks for me. So i will be living my dream.:happy: I hope that helps.

Staying at the Contemporary was a dream of mine since I was a kid and I finally did it; I will tell you it was well worth making my dream come true. There is nothing like fullfilling that Disney dream. Since you had that dream as well I would recommend staying at the Contemporary first then try the others. I think you will always have that knawing feeling wondering what its like to have a tower room. Complete the dream! :happy:

This! If it’s your dream then go for it.

We have stayed at the Contemporary numerous times and love it. For us it is all about location, location, location. This is what convinced us to buy into BLT.

We also stayed at the Polynesian and enjoyed it. It was over 5 years ago and things have changed with our vacationing habits and Disney. We had problems with the busses during our stay at Poly, but like I said, things have probably changed.

To us Contemporary was more of a hotel where Poly was more of a resort. We don’t spend time on the beach or do much relaxing, but the Poly offers more of a relaxed resort experience.

We made a last minute decision to go to WDW in August this year. We almost booked AK, but read many posts regarding being removed. That is how we felt about Wilderness Lodge when we were there the beginning of this year.

We like to be closer to the MAGIC!

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I would recommend Contemporary. AKL is my all time favorite, but that is a resort you want to have more time to stay at than just a weekend (seeing it does take a bit of time to get to parks). The Contemporary is so centrally located, and easy access to the monorail, it makes sense. Live your dream!!!

Contemporary tower, MK view. The higher the better.
If you can’t swing the price, AKL.
Poly costs more and GF costs most.
I like having everything under one roof and both Poly and GF are multiple buildings.

Edit: Contemporary Tower followed by WL followed by AKL.
I missed WL in your choices.

Transport from Contemporary is excellent because of the monorail (just be careful about when MK closes, because the monorail will shut down as early as 11PM and I almost got stuck at GF after dinner once because I finished at about 10:42 and caught the last resort train of the night because MK closed at 9, as did Epcot) and you can walk to MK.

I made it from the Contemporary to Epcot in about a half hour once after watching Wishes from our balcony and was comfortably in Epcot in time for Illuminations.

I would go with AKL if you want something new and different and you want to enjoy the resort. If you are planning to spend a lot of time in the parks, I would opt for Contemporary or Poly…I loved AKL but the bus drive was a drag…I would want to be on the monorail.

Grew up staying at the CR so it will always have a place for fond memories. It was also Pam’s first resort when I took her for her first trip. Pam loves WL even and I lean toward it also just for the totally relaxing atmosphere. I am really on vacation when there. The Poly is nice, has more action than WL, but I have not been drawn back. AKL will be visited one day. That leaves the GF as a must do for us. We both grew us along the coast and it brings back memories of the Victorian style of the places we went to growing up along the shores in New England for Pam and Cape May NJ for me.
So, long story short, I would pick GF if I was going to pay. But we always stay at theVWL with DVC points. So I don’t know if we will ever get out of our rut at VWL. But I am just so relaxed at VWL I don’t know if GF will be in the card.
Go WL.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1073875] Pam loves WL even and I lean toward it also just for the totally relaxing atmosphere. I am really on vacation when there. The Poly is nice, has more action than WL, but I have not been drawn back. AKL will be visited one day. That leaves the GF as a must do for us. We both grew us along the coast and it brings back memories of the Victorian style of the places we went to growing up along the shores in New England for Pam and Cape May NJ for me.
So, long story short, I would pick GF if I was going to pay. But we always stay at theVWL with DVC points. So I don’t know if we will ever get out of our rut at VWL. But I am just so relaxed at VWL I don’t know if GF will be in the card.
Go WL.[/QUOTE]

And that is one of the main things that we are looking for as well, to really “feel” like we’re on vacation. Living an hour or so away from WDW, we go to the parks at least a weekend a month (usually two weekends) so when we “book” a room at a resort, we tend to “enjoy” the resort more than the parks. We’ll go to a park for a dinner, a “ride” and maybe a stroll, but we don’t feel like we need to “do everything at the parks” because we “do” them all the time.

My GF teaches (gulp) 8th grade reading so her main focus is to relax by the pool and maybe do the spa thing to wind down from dealing with the “little demons” :laugh:. Whenever I book a weekend get-a-way, I always hear the old “so you’re not going to overbook everything and we’re just going to relax by the pool right?” :eek: So needless to say, we tend to enjoy the “resorts” far more than the parks on those get-a-way weekends.

That is the main reason why I had to take a step back from the CR dream! The poly seems like it has more to offer as a resort as does the GF compared to the CR! But since many of you have suggested WL, I might have to look into it…

In fact, I have a client who swears by WL. When he is in Orlando for business (and not just taking his family to WDW), he books a room there as well. I never really considered it before but I’ll have to check it out.

Thank you all for your insight! It has been very interesting reading everyones different perspectives regarding the deluxe resorts.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1073861]Contemporary tower, MK view. The higher the better.

Edit: Contemporary Tower followed by WL followed by AKL.
I missed WL in your choices.

[/QUOTE]

So you would choose WL over the Poly? How come? Mainly price?

I know that in the past WL and AKL were refered to as the ‘baby deluxe’ resorts. Price drove this reference when compared to the other deluxe resorts.