Packing cereals for breakfast

We’re staying at Old Key West, so can self-cater if we wish. I thought I’d get each of the kids to pack a box of cereal from home (UK) and take along some sugar to save lots of time in the mornings when we want to head straight to the parks. This will mean we can use our counter service meals for lunch too, plus save some cash. My question is this: if I do this, what’s the best way of getting large quantities of milk for a family of 6 without a car? We could buy a Disney refillable mug I guess and keep refilling with milk? I don’t know how this works or is it just for soda? Does anyone know any secrets regarding getting milk at Disney?

Milk isn’t an option for the mugs. How are you getting from the airport to the resort? If you use a service like Quicksilver you have a free 30 minute stop at the grocery store. Otherwise you’ll have to purchase the milk at the resort which is probably pretty expensive. Hmm, maybe someone else has a good idea for you! Good luck!

The store at OKW has a pretty good supply of groceries. I honestly don’t know how much the milk costs; (I’m ashamed to say I don’t really check the prices:redface: - if I need it, I buy it), but it won’t be that much out of line - just pick it up there; it’ll be a lot easier. (you can buy the cereal there too; they have the Kellogg’s "Snak-Paks, plus some other selections).

I’ve never done it; but you can order groceries on-line to be delivered to your suite. Someone here (I think Disney Teacher has done it) will give you the info.

Hey Lindat- we used gardengrocer.com for our trip last year. They were great and very reasonable but there is a delivery charge so it’s probably only worth it if you are spending around $50 or more in grocery items. But they can buy and delivery pretty much any grocery store item you wish.
They deliver to any Disney resort and you pick the date and time window you want things delivered. Plus it comes right to your room. Check them out!!

According to the DVC grocery list, a half gal of milk cost 2.95. You didn’t ask but a half gal of OJ is 4.49. The prices might change by the time you get there, but it gives you an idea.

gardengrocer.com is my vote as well. We used them in November when we stayed at BLT and they were wonderful. Groceries were deliver before we even got to the hotel. Contemporary held them in the fridge until we arrived. 30 minutes after we got to our room everything was delivered, order was correct, and nice cold beverages and snacks were great.

Thanks. OKW store price doesn’t sound too bad. Milk is very expensive where I live. It costs the equivalent of $1.75 a litre here anyway, so I think we’ll stick to the store. We’re getting to Disney on the free Disney bus from the airport to the resort so no chance of stopping by a grocery store. If there is a store at OKW, I’m happy and sorted!

If you have space in your luggage, maybe you can pack a few more snacks. It’s just my DH and I, but we always pack a few things and buy just the milk and juice at disney. It’s not bad IF you only get a few things.

Also, you have the dining plan if I remember correctly. We typically use our snack credit on a light breakfast if you’d rather try to do something like that. Or, using Garden Grocer is a great option. They have free delivery and lots of people here use them. I imagine we’ll use them for our next trip since we’re going without the dining plan and DD is a snacker.

We always pack cereal and snacks (cookies, crackers, pretzels). I put them in storage containers and pack them in a suitcase (usually one suitcase just for food items). We eat the items and then have room to bring our other goodies that we purchase home : ). Don’t forget to pack something to put them in so you can take a few small snacks for the park. It works well when DDs get hungry while waiting in line : )

We buy fresh milk every day at the resort shop- hey we’re British we have to have our afternoon tea! Milk is easy to get at Disney resort shops.
You will be OK bringing cereal and sugar, however, be aware that USA immigration prevents us bringing in fresh food items such as fruits etc. Before the flight lands, VA cabin crew come down the aisle taking any fresh food items.

Interesting. I didn’t know that re. fresh food. Not that I’m planning on doing so, but if I had a bag of apples in my suitcase, they wouldn’t know would they? Ha ha.

If you expect to use your snack credits on afternoon snacks, ice cream, popcorn, etc I would recommend Garden Grocer (Garden Grocer). We have used them and they are great to work with. It is nice to have bottles of water and soda in the fridge along with other snack items. We eat all of our breakfasts in the unit. Look through their web site. Then take a break and go back later. They have sooooo many items available it can get overwhelming. And the delivery charge is cheaper than hiring a cab to run out to the store. For us it is worth it for the price of milk, eggs, frozen concentrated juice, fresh fruit, granola bars and fresh bread vs the resort store.

We have packed cereals many a time when travelling to WDW. Usually pick up the Kellogs 8 pack variety when they’re on offer in Asda, great if like me, you travel with a non-breakfasty person but need that start in the morning!
One thing we did enjoy for a quick in-room breakfast at WDW was the Bagels you can buy in the hotel shop, just pick up a few packets of jam and butter from the quick service condiments bar and keep them in the fridge!

Hi, we just picked up milk from the OKW store as well. :flowers:

Now, I am curious about your cereal and sugar. What kind of cereal will you bring? It was been a long time since I thought about cereal that you have to add sugar too - like maybe some oats kinds (Cheerios) or plain wheat. I know you have different brands. We are so used to just buying our cereal with the sugar already included.

Oh I dont know about that- American Immigration and customs are hot compared to ours!:noo: It’s something to do with transferring and importing crop disease from plant to plant- and of course the British BSE thing with fresh/cooked meats i.e sandwiches etc.
And Linda, with Virgin’s now very stingy baggage allowances- we’d have to ditch clothes for apples!! :laugh:

[QUOTE=dixie;1068333]Oh I dont know about that- American Immigration and customs are hot compared to ours!:noo: It’s something to do with transferring and importing crop disease from plant to plant- and of course the British BSE thing with fresh/cooked meats i.e sandwiches etc.
And Linda, with Virgin’s now very stingy baggage allowances- we’d have to ditch clothes for apples!! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Oh - they know…that’s what those adorable little sniffy dogs are for.

Ah, I have a sweet tooth! I like sugar on my cornflakes, or weetabix or good old British Shreddies (wheat cereal).

My kids like there pop tarts cold, makes life easy for us!!! Some poptarts and breakfast bars and we are good to go!

Sounds like you need “Frosted Flakes” and “Frosted Mini-Wheats”. Yummy.