Park Hopping for Everyone Today! 01/19

Deb Wills posted this on FB this morning…

Today Only - Jan 19th - EVERYONE can park hop at Walt Disney World with a valid theme park ticket. Even if you have a one park ticket - today only you CAN park hop! Remember President Obama will be at the Magic Kingdom and MainStreet will be closed.

That’s nice of them to offer an alternative for all those that didn’t sign up to be a part of the special visit.

Good idea to help defuse peoples frustration when they are surprised about MK’s limitations today. Also, may be a good marketing tool, allowing people who have never used a park hopper to see how beneficial it really is.

That is a good idea. If I was down there I would be a little miffed if my vacation was interupted just because a President or Celeb decided to visit WDW.

I have always wondered why they don’t offer this option periodically. Seems like a great way to boost hopper sales!

They also extended hours at the other parks and added additional entertainment as well in those other parks just to entice people away from the MK.
Good thing the crowds are low in general and that it’s a Thursday.

Have you ever had your commute home from work disrupted by a presidential motorcade? It’s no fun. I’ve gotten boned by more than a few in Miami that just happened to be leaving the airport at just the wrong time.
Presidential air traffic also affects the airport he’s using, if he’s stuck using a commercial airport and not a military base.

Omg this is incredible. With the announcement of Mr. Obama visiting MK the folks here are talking about how much this could be a “good thing” for guests by what all Disney is offering, so positive. You go to other sites and mostly it’s so much hatred and negative political opinions and how "inconvenienced they all will be, and the kicker is 99% of them won’t even be there.
It’s so nice to be here.:mickey:

This is a such a smart way to deal with this situation. Good for Disney :happy:

I agree. I’m really glad I’m not there to deal with this, but this seems like a reasonable way for Disney to handle it.

They also should give MK both morning and night EMH tomorrow.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1099637]Omg this is incredible. With the announcement of Mr. Obama visiting MK the folks here are talking about how much this could be a “good thing” for guests by what all Disney is offering, so positive. You go to other sites and mostly it’s so much hatred and negative political opinions and how "inconvenienced they all will be, and the kicker is 99% of them won’t even be there.
It’s so nice to be here.:mickey:[/QUOTE]

Icing on the cake department:
I finally entered the second decade of the 21st Century and bought a smart phone (Android).
I have a WDW wait time app and right now the wait times in the MK are ALL 25 minutes or less!:biggrin:
All rides appear to be open except for Dumbo which is moving and Big Thunder which was already down for refurb.
Epcot wait times are very low for everything except Soarin’ at 45 minutes. Even Test Track is only 25.
In the Studios the major rides are all experiencing long waits.
ToT is actually 55, Toy Story is only 55, the Coaster is surprisingly shorter at only 40 and Star Tours is keeping pace with only 20 minute waits.
In AK everything is 20 minutes or less.

From the looks of things, today was a very good day to stage a presidential visit as it looks like the crowds are small and that means the “bubble” will cause less of a disruption than it would have as recently as Monday.

Wait times at the two Universal parks seem to be a little longer overall.
Maybe the crowds decided to skip WDW today after hearing local news?

I wouldn’t mind being in the MK today actually.
I’d even go out of my way to try and watch his presentation.
Gawrsh, I’d even want reservations at CP at that time.
That’s just me though.
If the bubble is in the Hub, it won’t affect the lands as much as some might think.
But as a regular, this is the kind of special something that adds a little more to a visit. For a first timer, or even a fifth timer, this would be an inconvenience if you’re unwilling to go with the flow or alter some plans on the fly.

Not sure what time the event is scheduled, but I’m sure that CNN, Fox, and MSNBC will all carry it live, if briefly.
The White House website says it will be at 12:35 PM.

Now I see how this is laid out and why only Main St. is closed.
The podium is not in the Hub or castle forecourt. It’s in the middle of the road on Main St about 20 feet north of the awning for the Hall of Champions entrance to the Emporium, probably a little before Casey’s (wonder how he “enjoyed” that smell).
This sets up a framed beauty shot for the cameras with the statue of Walt and Mickey prominently shown, as well as the castle drawbridge tunnel.
Good thing it was a bright, sunny day with near perfect temps for guys in suits.
So they’ve segregated the event crowd onto Main St. itself between the flagpole circle and the breakout to the Hub. This leaves the rest of the park for guests and keeps everyone out of everyone else’s way by diverting guests backstage between the hat shop and Tony’s.
The downside is that I’m guessing they’ve had to close all the shops on Main St…

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1099632]Have you ever had your commute home from work disrupted by a presidential motorcade? It’s no fun. I’ve gotten boned by more than a few in Miami that just happened to be leaving the airport at just the wrong time.
Presidential air traffic also affects the airport he’s using, if he’s stuck using a commercial airport and not a military base.[/QUOTE]

No I have never had a motorcade disrupt my everyday life, I live in a very small town with the closest airport 1 1/2 hrs away. That would be funny though to see a presidental motorcade riding through this one red-light town… LOL :laugh:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1099632]Have you ever had your commute home from work disrupted by a presidential motorcade? It’s no fun. I’ve gotten boned by more than a few in Miami that just happened to be leaving the airport at just the wrong time.

Presidential air traffic also affects the airport he’s using, if he’s stuck using a commercial airport and not a military base.[/QUOTE]

Why yes I have…Chicago, Columbus, and NYC…oh and President Clinton at a Basketball game (he was a couple rows below me…spent the whole time chatting up some PYT).

Our Presidents are now sheltered from us…pitty…they should be one of us.

Glad I’m not there for various reasons.