Park passes

OK, so I have what may seem like a complicated question. I am starting gto plan for our trip next November/ December. Do you all think I be allowed to do the following:
I would like to buy a one day pass with our MYW package and then on the first day of the trip go to the ticket sales at the park entrance and upgrade to an annual pass.This is because we will be staying for 2 weeks and the annual pass will save us at least $60.00 per person. We have done this once before but it was a few years ago & I am wondering if this is still allowed.:blink:

WHy don’t you ust order on AP with the package. You might be able to apply an AP discount rate to the whole package.
But back to your question, You can upgrade to a higher level of ticket/pass at any time during your stay and have the value of the present ticket applied to your upgraded ticket.

We just did this last week. We had 6 day park hopper tickets and then on our last day we decided that we would upgrade to an annual pass. A couple of things you should know… If you bought your tickets from a non-Disney place make sure you use your ticket before you upgrade. This way Disney will not know that you saved money on your ticket and you will be able to keep that savings. The second thing is that your annual pass date will be from the date of first use. So to answer your question, yes, you can do this. :happy::mickey:

This sounds like a good idea… :happy: I don’t know if it’s still allowed, though. I wish you luck!:happy:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1063685]WHy don’t you ust order on AP with the package. You might be able to apply an AP discount rate to the whole package.
But back to your question, You can upgrade to a higher level of ticket/pass at any time during your stay and have the value of the present ticket applied to your upgraded ticket.[/QUOTE]

The reason we would wait to upgrade, is that if we get a package with a meal plan it usually works out to be cheaper (especially if there is a free food offer) if we get a package with tickets included. I just recieved a PIN for 35% off rooms for the time period we are looking at but wanted to have a game plan for the passes in case free food comes available.

[QUOTE=steamboat lily;1063696]This sounds like a good idea… :happy: I don’t know if it’s still allowed, though. I wish you luck!:happy:[/QUOTE]The rules for using and upgrading Magic Your Way tickets has been unchanged since they launched MYW on January 2, 2005.

A MYW ticket can be upgraded to an Annual Pass, no problem. A ticket may be upgraded before it is used, and it can be upgraded at any time within 14 days of the first use of the ticket. It can be upgraded even if it has been totally used up (as long as it’s not past 14 days from the date of first use).

so let me get this straight, ikf I have a 10 wpam and ph ticket then I can upgrade anytime within my 14 days to an AP? Do they just deduct the cost of the MYW ticket?So the price of Ap minus $370?

Yes. They take your ticket price and subrtat that from the AP price and then charge you the difference. It does have to be within 14 days of first use.

I think that a lot of time they do run free dining for ap holders at the same time as the other free dining but we just bought ap’s on our last trip so someone else that has been an ap holder for longer could say more about it for sure. and a lot of time there are better room discounts for ap holders than you can get otherwise.

[QUOTE=MomBee;1063706]so let me get this straight, ikf I have a 10 wpam and ph ticket then I can upgrade anytime within my 14 days to an AP? Do they just deduct the cost of the MYW ticket?So the price of Ap minus $370?[/QUOTE]Yes, but there is one complication. Your ticket has the Water park Fun & More option. If you have used ANY of the WPF&M admissions, then if you upgrade to an AP it must be a Premium Annual Pass (one that allows admissions to the water parks, etc.). If you’ve already used even one of those WPF&M admissions on your 10-day ticket, then you can’t upgrade that ticket to a “regular” AP, it would have to be a PAP.

But otherwise, yes, you upgrade your existing ticket to an AP, and you pay the price of the AP minus the price of the ticket you already own. The activation date of the AP will be the first day you used that ticket.

Think about it … Disney doesn’t penalize you for deciding you want an AP after-the-fact. And that’s why they back-date the activiation date of the Annual Pass … it’s as if you bought and activated the Annual Pass on the first day you used your ticket.

[QUOTE=zoomaster;1063708]I think that a lot of time they do run free dining for ap holders at the same time as the other free dining but we just bought ap’s on our last trip so someone else that has been an ap holder for longer could say more about it for sure. and a lot of time there are better room discounts for ap holders than you can get otherwise.[/QUOTE]I’ve never heard of a free Disney Dining Plan promotion for AP holders. Every promo for free dining I’ve ever seen required a minimum ticket purchase … it used to be a minimum of a 1-day ticket, more recently a 2-day ticket. This minimum purchase, as part of a package, applied whether or not you have an AP.

But when you have to pay for the DDP, it is true that APs and DVC owners staying on points did not need to make the ticket purchase in order to qualify for buying the DDP.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1063710]

But when you have to pay for the DDP, it is true that APs and DVC owners staying on points did not need to make the ticket purchase in order to qualify for buying the DDP.[/QUOTE]

and… :whistling:biggrin:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1063712]and… :whistling:biggrin:[/QUOTE]Huh? :mellow:

and military salute tics heehee.
That one is alwys forgotten. Maybe because it’s a program that goes year to year. idk

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1063715]and military salute tics heehee.
That one is alwys forgotten. Maybe because it’s a program that goes year to year. idk[/QUOTE]

You know how it goes Mickeybug… We veterans are overlooked by the general population. Ya get used to it after awhile.:laugh:
At least Disney remembers.

I was actually thinking of doing this for our next trip as a way to get a discount on the APs.

I just found out that I can buy annual paases now & they won’t be activated until we use them on the first day we visit the parks. So maybe I will consider that as an option to get in on potential AP discounts.

I know at CM last fall told me when I was talking to her that at that time they had the free dining for ap holders at that time.
Can any Veteran AP holders fill us in more on this issue?

Confused?
Veteran as in ‘long time holder’ or ‘military’?

Just make sure you use your tickets at least once (just to activate it) before you go to guest relations or they will be able to see your discount.