Passporter requirements

Could someone tell me if you need a passport to go on the Disney Wonder?

I dont really know but I guess it would depend on whether you were entering another country I expect?

Yes you do. Even when they start the Alaska crusie it will start in Canada so even there you’d need one to get to the ship and then back into the US.

I just renewed mine and it took about 4 weeks not doing the rush service.

Yes, I was told by a dvc cm when I was inquiring about the new Alaskan cruise that you would need a passport. Something about where you are located in the waters while you are cruising.

In this day and age it is wise to get a passport - whether you plan on vacationing out of your country or not. You never know when an emergency will arise, you never know when you might have an opportunity for a wonderful trip…get the passport. You’ll never regret it. And yes, if you leave the USA you will need a passport to get back in.

As of now, you DON’T need a passport to sail on the Wonder. Maybe that will change when it goes to Alaska because of where it departs and returns. But as of now, to go to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean or Mexico on a Cruise and return back to the same port, you don’t need a passport.

My dgd went on a last minute Caribbean cruse with her parents this past March and she didn’t need one. She had no trouble at all.

We just returned from a cruise to Bermuda two weeks ago and we
did need a passport to sail with Celebrity.

Thank you!

[QUOTE=leslieh;1044612]We just returned from a cruise to Bermuda two weeks ago and we
did need a passport to sail with Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

I went on a cruise to Bermuda last month! We went NCL though. Isnt Bermuda beautiful? We had a party of 19 and although we have our passports, no one else in our party did.

Did you start and end in the US? Then technically you didn’t need it. They might have suggested you have it because it’s much more efficient. This is from the Celebity site:
Closed-Loop Identification Documents

Laminated driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, country, territory or municipal authority
All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth

Closed-Loop Citizenship Documents**
Government issued:

U.S. Birth Certificate (original)
U.S. Birth Abroad Certificate (original)
U.S. Naturalization Certificate (original)
U.S. certificate of Citizenship (original)

Cruise ships might have an agreement with the US gov’t, concerning the Caribbean, (I do find it odd that Bermuda would agree to this) although if you were going on a European Cruise or Alaskan you would need one. TECHNICALLY - (and I only speak for Canada) American citizens can ENTER Canada without a passport (but be prepared for a lot of questions and long stares) - however, (and this is American regulations), Americans CANNOT re-enter the USA, from Canada, without a passport. I still think a passport is a good investment.

I agree, a passport is definitely the way to go. It only takes a few weeks to get and is MUCH better than carrying around your original birth certificate, marriage license and drivers license everywhere!

When we went to Bermuda last month, we had an emergency on the ship. A few friends had to stay in Bermuda to go to the hospital. Guess what? NO PASSPORTS! They were actually allowed to fly into the U.S., but they had to pay a fine.

I agree a passport is well worth it. I know as a canadian the cruise I went on when we went to port we had to leave our passport and reclaim it when we got back on the ship. I was always paranoid but I have some lovely passport stamps.

On a side note when I was in Europe we went to Liechtenstein just to say we went and they have a ungarded boarder, we got pulled over by a cop car with the flashing lights and all. Turns out he saw our Canadian flag in the rental car and wanted to stamp our passports for us!!! Glad we brought them on our little road trip with us because when we left my aunts house we knew that we would not need then to get into the other countries!

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;1044647]I went on a cruise to Bermuda last month! We went NCL though. Isnt Bermuda beautiful? We had a party of 19 and although we have our passports, no one else in our party did.

Did you start and end in the US? Then technically you didn’t need it. They might have suggested you have it because it’s much more efficient. This is from the Celebity site:
Closed-Loop Identification Documents
[/QUOTE]

That’s so funny! We cruised with NCL to Bermuda a few years ago. We sailed from Cape Liberty (Bayonne) since it was a central location for everyone.

I didn’t know that there were other ID choices allowed- The gate people at the terminal specifically asked for our passports, and the customs agent did too when we returned. Very interesting…

US State Dept says a passport or passport card is required on cruises with possible exception for “closed loop” cruises. Passport Book is required for all air travel.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

WHTI | USA | Special Audiences

Go ahead and get the passport. Even if you absolutely don’t have to have one for closed loop cruise, you DO have to have one for ANY international airtravel so if something were to happen and you had to fly back…

Better safe than sorry.