"Peak Season" dates for higher DDP costs

I was doing some searching trying to decide if the basic DDP, versus a Tables in Wonderland membership, was still “worth it” for us.

The new 2010 rates for the DDP are $41.99/ per adult, BUT during “PEAK SEASON” the price increases to $47.99/ per adult. :eek: I was thinking, “ok, “peak season” must just be the short time around various holidays when attendance is really high.” Ummm, I think I was severely wrong!

Over at Mousemisers they are listing the following date ranges in 2010 for the “Peak Season Pricing” for the DDP. Are they SERIOUS?

The Disney Dining plan is priced based on your travel dates, and is higher priced during the following peak times:

■February 12 – April 10, 2010
■June 4 – August 14, 2010
■December 17 – 31, 2010

I am sorry, but that’s just RIDICULOUS! Why all of the sudden is 1/2 of February & ALL of March peak season for 2010? Easter Break isn’t until APRIL this year & with the exception of President’s weekend in February why is anything else in that range considered peak?

When I called to make a DVC room reservation & ADRs a couple days ago for our impromptu February trip it seemed as if the place is going to be DEAD! There wre five resorts with open studio villas, & I got ADRs for O’hana, 1900 Park Fare, & Whispering Canyon with EASE! Tell me, what is so peak season about that?

Oh man, I do not like those date ranges & if they are going to charge me $47.99/per adult for the dining plan during a random NON-HOLIDAY weekend in late February I am sooooo cancelling this DDP right now.

:mad:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1012474]I was doing some searching trying to decide if the basic DDP, versus a Tables in Wonderland membership, was still “worth it” for us.

The new 2010 rates for the DDP are $41.99/ per adult, BUT during “PEAK SEASON” the price increases to $47.99/ per adult. :eek: I was thinking, “ok, “peak season” must just be the short time around various holidays when attendance is really high.” Ummm, I think I was severely wrong!

Over at Mousemisers they are listing the following date ranges in 2010 for the “Peak Season Pricing” for the DDP. Are they SERIOUS?

The Disney Dining plan is priced based on your travel dates, and is higher priced during the following peak times:

■February 12 – April 10, 2010
■June 4 – August 14, 2010
■December 17 – 31, 2010

I am sorry, but that’s just RIDICULOUS! Why all of the sudden is 1/2 of February & ALL of March peak season for 2010? Easter Break isn’t until APRIL this year & with the exception of President’s weekend in February why is anything else in that range considered peak?

Oh man, I do not like those date ranges & if they are going to charge me $47.99/per adult for the dining plan during a random NON-HOLIDAY weekend in late February I am sooooo cancelling this DDP right now.

:mad:[/QUOTE]

I think all of summer was ‘peak’ dining a couple of years ago when we were looking at some buffets. It really stinks when that’s the only time a family can go.

OK, summer & holidays I “get”, not fair, but I get it. But someone please explain to me what’s going on AFTER President’s weekend in February and ALL through the month of March in 2010 that is justifying them considering it Peak Season? This is NOT peak season. Easter isn’t until April & there are no holidays between President’s weekend & Easter.

I am soooooo burning angry about this. :angry:

Exactly what I was saying in a similar DDP thread. Disney is killing the plan value for most people. Will the prices on the menu during peak times for cash customers go up as well? IMHO, the plan is for convenience more than value. I think TiW is becoming more appealing to me.:frown:

I’ve already changed my thinking for my March trip. Was definitely doing DDP, but am glad I didn’t purchase it yet, because there is no way I am paying that much more for the plan. I know Disney is a business, but truly, I think they over stepped their boundaries this time.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1012476]OK, summer & holidays I “get”, not fair, but I get it. But someone please explain to me what’s going on AFTER President’s weekend in February and ALL through the month of March in 2010 that is justifying them considering it Peak Season? This is NOT peak season. Easter isn’t until April & there are no holidays between President’s weekend & Easter.

I am soooooo burning angry about this. :angry:[/QUOTE]
Supposedly they have a lot of events then. ESPN footbally type stuff and then spring break for the colleges. I don’t know how true it is that the college students are flocking to Disney, but I was told by my sales rep to try to avoid those times if I didn’t want to come during their peak season.

My kids vacation is the first week of march, and we have been there for the last three years. There is no one there during that time…So that makes no sense.

Then, are the hotel rooms considered “peak” times as well? Seems like they should go together…

If they do this, they will be laying out all kinds of specials, because people will not be able to do this in this economy… Maybe they will go, but no dining plan-which means no $$$$ in dining.

Then again, I have been saying this whole time-at least before the appetizer, and tip went away- how can they be making money on this deal? Then, we lost the appetizer, and the price of the deal went up… I am confused as to why they would do this, if they want to attract diners to the sit down tables in the world…

That really is a huge price increase, and I want to see more for my money…

Well, interestingly, these dates aren’t listed on DVC’s points chart as “Premier Season” (the highest points season, or “Peak Season” I guess you should call it). The only date ranges listed as “Premier Season” are March 28th-31st, April 1st - 10th, and December 24th-31st.

Not sure what Disney is considering “Peak Season” for room rates in 2010 but I guess my point is that the “Peak Season” dining prices should at least be in more of an alignment to when the room peak seasons are.

There are ALWAYS “special events” going on at WDW; Flower & Garden Festival, ESPN the weekend, the Marathon, Food & Wine Festival, Star Wars weekend, Halloween Party in the MK, Christmas season everything, Spring Breaks for school children, Spring Breaks for university students, etc… so I just don’t get how they can put such a wide blanket over the “peak seasons” date ranges. If they’re basing it on “events” going on then it seems like the MAJORITY of the year would be “Peak Season” cause there is ALWAYS something going on.

I think peak season is different for the different levels of resorts. Value at a deluxe resort is not at the same time as value at a value resort.

I also wonder how much regular dining at buffets, other meals went up. Say you are going to Yachtsman’s steakhouse… How much did that entree go up???

I agree, It is ridiculous, but there has to be some reason that they raised the price so significantly… Seems kinda high to raise it just as a random thing. In this economy, there has to be a reason… Not just that the wind blew, and told them to raise the prices… With that there has to be a big negative response from customers.

Remember our response with this is with our dollar… You speak volumes with what you spend and not spend there, or anywhere else. A few hundred letters that say you are strongly considering eating off property, or canceling your trip will have them looking at this again…

This is ridiculous.

I already wrote an email to Guest Relations about this whole thing. :pinch:

You won’t be the first or the last… This is crazy!

Good for you, I hope you get a quick reply.

So I’m boned because both my birthday and my wife’s birthday are “peak season”.
I understand Christmas being peak season, but why isn’t Thanksgiving?
I am getting a little tired of this!

[QUOTE=hanwill;1012494]
Then, are the hotel rooms considered “peak” times as well? Seems like they should go together…[/QUOTE]

But they don’t.

Yeah, well you can’t have peak dining in a restaurant when there are not peak times for people to be there (ie staying at your hotel)… Something does not add up in wonderland…

How can you have peak table usage when no one is staying at your hotel??? It seems backwards…

When I booked my trip for the beginning of March, I assumed pass holder or FL resident rates would soon be out. I am paying $100 a night for a preferred site- not a premium one.

My friend called to book the same weekend and was told that they consider that time spring break and there will not be any pass holder or FL rates from mid February through sometime in April.

I hope this is all one big mistake!!

I agree that February should not be included in peak season! It’s never crowded that time of year. My parents just booked a last minute trip for the 3rd week in February and I called to make their dining reservations and they got everything they wanted at the times they wanted, so it doesn’t even seem like it’s going to be busy! This is crazy…

:eek: Food has steadily gone up at Disney even in this economy, if the DDP is going to go up than menu prices will reflect the same increase. It may not show up on th menu section yet but I believe they may change the price at any time. It does make you think that staying and eating off site may not be such a bad idea after all. We have been yearly coustomers of Disney ( some years twice) for the past 10 years. Before that we were regular coustomers with our other 6 children. If I added up the $$$$ we have spent in the past 10 years alone I would probablly faint. Nickle and dimeing us is not the way to go. I will look elsewhere to eat.:mad:

Haven’t you heard - The recesson is over, just watch MSNBC!