People won't like this

Orlando Sentinel - Disney to reduce evening park hours for hotel guests

Hmmmm…well…we don’t stay on Disney property just to get this perk, and we don’t go to the parks for the early morning EMH, however we have stayed later in the evening in parks such as Epcot and DHS when they have stayed open past their usual times. The MK, however, can close at 11 and that would be fine with us. We never would stay until 3 in the morning.

Before EMH, I remember checking the hours before a trip and being super excited just to see MK open until 9PM!!!

It’s all in what we are used to—and it looks like we will have to get used to losing another perk at times.

I say stop moaning and groaning about every little change. You sound like an old fuddy duddy.
Wait and see how it works out. Blah

There was another article in the past few days saying that ME ridership was down. Disney is getting more aggressive at getting out in front of downturns. Next years could be rough for tourism due to the big tax increases coming in January, as well as the continued down turn in Europe.

Looks like Disney is going to have to rely on those rich Canadians.

I don’t think we’ve ever stayed more than a hour or so in the evenings…

I actually rarely, if ever, stay the entire 3 hours after the park closes… by that time, I’m exhausted!!! Two hours sounds like plenty of time for me!

My guess is that not many people were taking advantage of the complete 3 hour period, so they decided it wasn’t worth the resources to stay open that late.

We’re rope droppers, so no harm no foul here.

[QUOTE=Dopey;1117145]I say stop moaning and groaning about every little change. You sound like an old fuddy duddy.
Wait and see how it works out. Blah[/QUOTE]

Well good morning sunshine. Would you like to tell us how you really feel?:tongue:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1117148]I actually rarely, if ever, stay the entire 3 hours after the park closes… by that time, I’m exhausted!!! Two hours sounds like plenty of time for me!

My guess is that not many people were taking advantage of the complete 3 hour period, so they decided it wasn’t worth the resources to stay open that late.[/QUOTE]

We always try to stay the 3 hours, but are rarely successful. I suspect it was an easy way for them to save some $$.

Same here. We usually don’t even make it to the fireworks. I give the kids the option and they usually are ready to leave early and go swimming.

Well, you know Mrs. Fooffoonick…subtlety isn’t her forte.:happy:

Evening extra magic hours are dead after the second hour. It makes sense to cut that last hour. Business is business and if they were making money off that last hour, it would still be there. The cost of operations obviously don’t justify the bottom line and that’s what’s it’s all about in the end. Seriously, two hours is plenty and still a great perk for being a resort guest. People seriously need to lose the mentality that Disney owes them something…it’s kinda disgusting. It’s a BUSINESS first and foremost.

THE 3am MK night is our favorite without a doubt. It will be missed by us. We go in March and it may be our last for a while to the World…we may just go cruising…if no deals come out for our trip and more perks get cut we may switch to cruise for the next trip.

DD and I take full advantage of the extra hours. DW is rarely stays more then an hour. It is good father daughter bonding time for us. ( Nothing like screaming along with a crowd to build that kind of relationship )

-H

Edit: On the other hand I totally understand economics of business and would not want them to stay open just for me, well maybe once…

Will be disappointment in our household also, but totally understand busines is business. Our routine is to swim after a day at the parks. I get settled in the resort room and dh and the boys head out to whatever park that has EMH and staying for the full 3 hours. Its a good bonding thing with them, and then telling me all the fun stories over breakfast the next morning. I’m glad they didn’t take it away all together. They can adjust to the two hours, but just won’t get in as much as they usually would do.

Part of the reason that three hours at night works better than two is that it normally takes 30-60 minutes to clear out all the guests who were in line to ride the popular rides at park close.
Remember, the rule has always been, if you’re in line at park close, you ride, unless the ride is broken down.
Now, you’ve got hotel guests who have been waiting all day for their chance at Soarin’, or Toy Story, RnRCoaster, or Splash Mountain, or Peter Pan and have counted on getting their chance during the late evening.
So instead of giving them 3 full hours, they really have more like 2 hours of alone time.
The parks themselves really don’t close for about 90 minutes to 2 hours after official close anyway. Sure, the rides close down and they stop seating diners, but the last seatings were 8:30 and those rides closed their queues at 9 and Mousegears is open until 10:30-11 PM because those diners at Tokyo Dining didn’t finish their meals until 10 and it takes time to get to the main gate, especially if you get stuck at the drawbridge between China and “non specific country land” so they can take the Illuminations barges backstage.

We were in MK two Fridays ago during the EMH and there were still loads of people everywhere at 1 AM, even though the park closed at 11 PM. We left at 1:30, having gotten in 3 rides on Splash, one on Big Thunder, and one on Aladdin’s Carpets during the EMH. This was after returning to the hotel after Illuminations and then putting on “wet clothes” so we could ride Splash like I promised my niece.
It’s amazing we actually made it to the Studios the next morning by 7:55, but I really wanted her to be able to ride Toy Story twice. (Did it!)
Thank you Diamond Parking!!

I’ll deal with it, whatever “it” winds up being, same as the fast passes.

You skip one little point though.
Disney markets very hard on the extra perks gained by staying on property and foremost in their marketing is the proximity of their resorts, the transport system, Magical Express for flyers who don’t want to deal with arranging their own transport from the airport, and of course the “exclusive access for hotel guests Extra Magic Hours”.

It’s called bait and switch to offer something and then change the offer.
Newbies won’t know any better and even many who are on their 3rd visit won’t know any better, but old hands will certainly feel cheated until they become accustomed to the new version of anything.

Is that an invitation? I can let him have it big time :pinch::laugh:

Watch it Toots, I am in THAT mood today :pirate:

What she said