Perks of being a DVC member?

Hi there,
I am trying to plan for the future and I think I would like to buy into DVC eventually. But at the moment I am just trying to learn everything I can about it. So:

1. do DVC members get to use magical express?
  2. are DVC members allowed to use the disney busses to the parks?
  3. Is it worth while buying if you would like to go on a trip every year or two?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, DVC members can use both Magical Express and disney busses. No one knows who is staying as a DVC member and who is paying cash for a room.

As far as being worth it to buy DVC, that’s really a hard question to answer. If you like to stay in moderate or deluxe resorts and a nice room is important to you then it’s worth it to at least look at DVC. If you go to disney every other year you should be okay. You can actually use three years of points at once by banking, using current points, and borrowing points.

Puremagic, DVC members can do anything that other guests can do, and then some! It really is something we enjoy very, very much.
Now – here’s the deal about affordability. When we first joined, we paid out balloon payment in cash and so we’ve only paid our monthly DVC dues, which are so small it’s practically unnoticeable and they take it right out of our bank account, so I forget it’s even happening.
There is NO WAY we could afford to go to WDW even in a Value if we did not have DVC. We have two kids in college, and DVC has given us the luxury of being able to vacation in style even during tuition overlap years.
We started with 200 points at BWV, which has been plenty for us. If you have a specific resort in mind for your home resort, your DVC Guide will find it for you, though if it’s a hard-to-find one, it might take a few days. We wanted BWV with an October Use Year, and it took our guide a few days to grab it for us.
They also have periodic incredible sales with terrific incentives. Perhaps that would be good for you!
Good luck, and Welcome Home!

P.S. Two things –

Just wait until you see the contracts! Instead of “Sign by the X,” it’s “Sign by the Mickey head” – so fun!

And you won’t believe how great it feels to check out after a fantastic week in a DVC villa and the CM at the desk says, “Nothing due, you’re all set. Thanks and have a magical day,” instead of “Your total is a zillion dollars. Would you like me to put that on a credit card?”

Just want to mention that I didn’t know about when I purchased my DVC direct. There is a resale market also. Now, those contracts have different restrictions and it takes months for the process vs days with direct, but if you want the savings and the restrictions don’t affect what you are looking to get out of it, that may be the way to go. Just want to let you know your options.

Otherwise, I LOVE my DVC! I’m able to get two trips a year for the cost of pennies for the maintenance fees. Also, to make it more affordable, one of the perks they offer DVC members is $150 off an annual pass.

We are a family of 7. We are fortunate enough to have children who emjoy our company (to a point). Since we joined we average a trip every other year as a family and the occasional trip with just DW and I. DVC helps us finance these trips, otherwise we could not swing them. There are some on the board who can give you a dollar and cents reason why it is not the best bang for your buck; but it works for us.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1130886]Just want to mention that I didn’t know about when I purchased my DVC direct. There is a resale market also. Now, those contracts have different restrictions and it takes months for the process vs days with direct, but if you want the savings and the restrictions don’t affect what you are looking to get out of it, that may be the way to go. Just want to let you know your options.
[/QUOTE]

I got nervous about that (even the really good place!), because Disney ultimately has the ROFR, so they can smack down any contract that is a big savings. The resale prices seemed to be so close to the DVC direct prices that it seemed unlikely we’d get a resale deal approved by Disney.

Right of First Refusal

I love the points system and the ability to stay for 1 night or as many as you points will allow rather than a fixed week at the same location. We’ve used points for 1 night stays, group trips, cruises, and more. There are so many DVC resorts at WDW that it will take you a while to stay at all of them, and each one is different. Your choices with room sizes from studio to 2000 SF 3 bedroom villas is great.

I’m a real estate agent and appraiser. I thought I would NEVER buy a timeshare, much less directly from the developer. But then I got into buying and selling them on ebay, and after staying at Orange Lake on a WDW trip I decided to look into DVC.

I bought 200 points. And I’ve continued to add on and have a lot of points now.

First. DVC (or ANY timeshare) while it IS a real estate interest it IS NOT an investment except in your family and leisure time. All timeshares loose value. (DVC holds value MUCH better than most timeshares.) Buy what you can afford, say goodbye to the money and hello to many years of vacations at about 25 cents on the dollar compaired to what you’d pay renting through WDW. (We book a 2 bedroom theme park view at BLT in early Dec for 4 nights and it costs about $1,000 in annual dues for the points we use. That’s less than 1 night at what WDW rents the unit for IF it’s available - and there are generally DVC units available when members trade points for cruises or other non DVC resort trips.)

Second. The one thing that hasn’t changed in my 35 years in real estate…the 3 most important factor in buying real estate: Location, location, location. DVC has the locations.

And there are sometimes special offers for DVC members. Last fall they offered DVC members a great deal on cash booking on Canada cruise out of NYC.

Sometimes you make sense.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1130892]I got nervous about that (even the really good place!), because Disney ultimately has the ROFR, so they can smack down any contract that is a big savings. The resale prices seemed to be so close to the DVC direct prices that it seemed unlikely we’d get a resale deal approved by Disney.

Right of First Refusal[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely. From time to time DH puts in a offer on a resale with a private seller and never, once, has it been accepted by Disney. He doesn’t tell me anymore because it ticks me off and I don’t like being mad at them. He says the trick is to just keep putting in offers and eventually it’ll work - it’s his game - he’s totally unemotional about it. I stay out of it.

As for the perks of owning DVC - I agree with the others. It’s a really personal decision. You have to look at your family and decide what’s best for you. If you know you’re going to use it at least once every two years, then it’s definitely worth looking into. We couldn’t possibly take as many trips to WDW as we have, without it. Family size is another matter. If you have more than two children, it’s a challenge to find economical lodging at a Disney resort. You are limited in your choices. Most of their resort rooms are designed for a family of 4. More than that and you are either looking a two rooms or a family suite. Even the family suites at the AllStars aren’t cheap. And remember, all DVC properties are considered deluxe resorts. We always take advantage of the Annual Pass deal and usually find, timing it right, that we can get two visits out of an Annual Pass. That, in itself, is a huge savings.

The very nice thing about dealing with Disney agents is that there is no pressure - seriously - there isn’t any. They’ll answer all your questions and still be pleasant if you’re undecided. My advice to you is to give them a call, get all your questions answered, and if it’s for you, if you’re like most, you won’t regret it if you decide to purchase.

And on the totally emotional side - there is NOTHING like hearing “Welcome Home” when you arrive.:crying:

If Disney is something you truly like then DVC is right for you or anyone for that matter who feels that going to WDW is something you will enjoy for years to come…it is a wise financial decision,for the savings are truly real,I always ask people if Disney is something they and their family enjoy,then it is the right decision to buy,if they are just casual Disney people and haven’t been bit by the magic,then DVC is probably not for them,we joined years ago and haven’t looked back…

Well…I have to disagree with you on the financial part in tune with being a true Disney fan…my husband is a CPA…and although we definitely are “rabid” Disney fans…it is not a good “financial” decision for us. The money we spend when we go to WDW is part of investments where WE have earned the money on our investments ahead of time and Disney has not.

So for US,( please notice I say US here—everyone is different) DVC membership does not work out for the best…even though we are BIG Disney fans. :smile:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1130930]Well…I have to disagree with you on the financial part in tune with being a true Disney fan…my husband is a CPA…and although we definitely are “rabid” Disney fans…it is not a good “financial” decision for us. The money we spend when we go to WDW is part of investments where WE have earned the money on our investments ahead of time and Disney has not.

So for US,( please notice I say US here—everyone is different) DVC membership does not work out for the best…even though we are BIG Disney fans. :smile:[/QUOTE]

You are correct, it’s not a smart financial decision for every family. A couple we are very good friends with are as crazy about WDW as we are did the math and DVC is not a smart decisions for them at this time. They are very happy staying at the value resorts and usually end up spending less on their room for a 10 day trip than we spend on just dues (not the $20,000 we initially spent) for a year.

We fell in love with the deluxe resorts, mainly Beach Club, so we see DVC as an affordable way to stay at resorts that may otherwise be out of our budget.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1130931]You are correct, it’s not a smart financial decision for every family. A couple we are very good friends with are as crazy about WDW as we are did the math and DVC is not a smart decisions for them at this time. They are very happy staying at the value resorts and usually end up spending less on their room for a 10 day trip than we spend on just dues (not the $20,000 we initially spent) for a year.

We fell in love with the deluxe resorts, mainly Beach Club, so we see DVC as an affordable way to stay at resorts that may otherwise be out of our budget.[/QUOTE]

Yes…we love staying at the moderate resorts, never use the pool…and really the only thing we do is sleep in the room, get breakfast at the food court and then come back late at night the sleep again. :smile:

On the other hand, we have friends who are DVC members and stay at the Y&B twice a year…it works well for them.

It’s a very personal decision and Smallword & DisneyTeacher are correct - it’s not going to be, financially, a great bargain. We purchased ours in 2000 and it is paid in full - so now - of course, other than the yearly maintenance fees, financially it does work out for us. It’s all in what you want out of WDW - for us the resorts are a very big part of our enjoyment and I’m shallow enough to admit that I like the luxury.:laugh:

…not shallow at all llama!!! It’s your vacation time—you know best how to spend your time and money for your enjoyment!! I don’t consider decisions like that shallow at all!!! Those resorts are beautiful. I have seen the room that my friend gets at Y&B when we were there at the same time once—and I have to admit that I had a short lived pang of envy. However, they go back to the room during the day, spend time by the pool etc. —we do not.

You enjoy your “paid for” vacation time at WDW. It must be a great feeling!!! :happy:

I really don’t want to debate the value of DVC,but for us we prefer the moderate amenities ,before DVC we always stayed POR,that being said,the value of dvc comes in many ways,initially yes it is not a good investment,but 10 years in the investment pays off better than the initial years,why? well we used to be able to get POR for under 100,now those rates are non existent,and will be forever lost in the upcoming years …when you spend lets say 1000 on a room even at value resorts that money stops giving,it is goneforever,while the dollar spent on dvc keeps giving for 50 years …finally ,unless this country suffers a dramatic financial catastrophic meltdown ,nothing is getting cheaper,while except for maintenance fees DVC is dollars already spent,oh and one last caveat even if you choose not to use your DVC points at 12 dollars a point you make money back,my dues are slightly over 1000 and if one year I decided to sell my points I would recoup 3,200…so I beg to differ…can you find me somewhere were your money has 200% return …

[QUOTE=smallworld;1130935]…not shallow at all llama!!! It’s your vacation time—you know best how to spend your time and money for your enjoyment!! I don’t consider decisions like that shallow at all!!! Those resorts are beautiful. I have seen the room that my friend gets at Y&B when we were there at the same time once—and I have to admit that I had a short lived pang of envy. However, they go back to the room during the day, spend time by the pool etc. —we do not.

You enjoy your “paid for” vacation time at WDW. It must be a great feeling!!! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Oh…I’m pretty shallow.:laugh:

Thank you! We do enjoy knowing that it now “belongs” to us.:happy:

Everyone has different wants and needs - and that’s what’s so nice about WDW - there really is something for everyone. One of the main reasons dh wanted DVC is because of the kitchen - we really do use it. We’re not the kind of people who want to eat out every evening - so having the kitchen is a perk for us. We’ll grill a steak, add some salad, bread and cheese, crack open a bottle of wine and enjoy eating on the balcony. That’s part of the enjoyment for us. Then there are people that are say that the dining experiences are the part they enjoy most and they’d never want to cook while on holiday - so it all comes back to what is important to you.

I am torn.

I like the comfort of Sarasota. I don’t like that it’s not an investment. But, even with payment and annual dues, it is “cheaper” than paying cash.

However, this is true in Walt Disney World. ºoº

For those of us who take advantage of alternative housing outside of Disneyland, that’s money far in excess of what I need.

I need to talk to DVC folks to answer a few questions. The new property in Hawaii, Aulani looks promising… :pirate:

Aulani is a great location on the west coast of Oahu. It’s close to Honolulu International Airport and offers some great sunsets. It wouldn’t be my first choice of the islands to build the resort, but it’s certainly the island with the most flights from the mainland.

I chose not to buy there because I see the annual dues as going to be the highest in DVC based on the cost of living in HI, and I don’t see myself making the 13+ hour flight but so many times.

And by renting points out, I actually get a better “rate of return” on my “investment” than I do on my rental houses and I enjoy owning DVC a whole lot more! :laugh: