Pets can now fly on SWA

Southwest Airlines - Policies, Procedures, and Tips for Children Traveling Alone

I didnt see this posted anywhere so decided to post for everyone.

I don’t have any pets to worry about travel, but it says the carrier must fit under the seat and the cat/dog must be able to stand in the carrier. Don’t the dogs have to be like 1 ft tall to fit in such a carrier? Isn’t that really small?

That’s what I was thinking. So basically my bichon can come but my lab is staying home :laugh:

And it’s horrible for them! I’ve been on so many flights with little dogs pushed under the seat . . . terrible. It’s better to leave them home with a trusted friend or neighbor.

We take our dog to the “Doggie Hotel” he :heart:s it! :happy:

I can’t imagine a time when I would want to do that to our pet, it sounds uncomfortable.

Shhhhhh…

Sandy is already measuring cages for our September trip.

“But i don’t want to go under the seat”! :pinch:

[QUOTE=bosoxx65;964554]Shhhhhh…

Sandy is already measuring cages for our September trip.

“But i don’t want to go under the seat”! :pinch:[/QUOTE]
:laugh: :laugh:

I really don’t think that’s a good idea & I doubt if it last long.

Put the pitch forks and torches away folks…I love pets but I don’t want to fly with them. You think the kid screaming and kicking the back of your chair is bad? Wait until you get a couple of dogs barking for TWO HOURS! :eek:

Cargo is heated and pressurized. Pets and SOME KIDS belong there.

What about the folks that are allergic to cats/dogs? That could be very uncomfortable, even dangerous for them.

Very true! I wonder what SWA would do about that

Or the one that they let out because they can’t stand to have their baby locked in the cage.

I’ve emailed SWA my thoughts. I see people demanding comp flights because of problems. If it’s not a service annimal, it doesn’t belong in the cabin IMHO.

I am an animal lover, however, I don’t believe they belong on a plane. Crying babies is bad enough, I can not imagine a barking doggie through and entire flight. I know they can not help it, I just would be very disturbed by that. Not to mention the double standard that little dogs can fly in the cabin, but my lab can not.

I’m not sure this will be a popular decision among flyers. I don’t know, JMO.

Wow do I agree 100% with that. We have a Durango and I bought a car top carrier for our lugage. That way Bam and Tigger have room in the car when we travel.

I think I would rather rent an RV and drive somewhere than have to put my babies under a seat. :pinch: It would kill me if they were miserable or uncomfortable.

They put a dog in the seat next to me and I’ll be very unhappy.

Not to worry…they are on top of it. :laugh: Here is SWA’s reply. It’s pretty lame if you ask me. I don’t care WHERE you sit if they is a barking dog then there will be more if there are more on the plane. Our only hope is that there won’t be many people willing to pony up $150 for a roundtrip flight under the seat.

Dear Richard,

As you’ve heard, beginning June 17, we will allow a limited number of cats and small dogs to travel inside the cabin as part of our new P.A.W.S. (Pets Are Welcome on Southwest) service as long as they are in an approved pet carrier and stowed underneath the seat at all times. In making this change, we acknowledge that some Customers will have concerns sitting next to a Customer who is traveling with their pet, and we understand your reason for contacting us. Our Employees are trained to handle all circumstances with the Safety and comfort of our Customers in mind. Additionally, since we have an open-seating policy (no assigned seats), if a Customer does not wish to sit next to a Customer who is traveling with their pet, they can move to a different area of the aircraft or, if necessary, ask a Flight Attendant for assistance with relocation.

We assure you that our Leaders reviewed and evaluated this decision from many different angles, including Customer feedback and operational analysis. Quite honestly, we realized that we were missing an opportunity to serve many Customers who travel on other air carriers (since most offer this service) because Southwest previously did not accept pets. In this tough economy, we must be diligent in seeking new business opportunities to meet our fiscal responsibilities, and we must continue to find ways to generate revenue without “nickel and diming” our Customers. Without a doubt, we continue to stand in stark contrast from our competitors since our Customers still enjoy paying no first or second bag fees (unless items are oversized or overweight), no reservation change fees (as always, applicable fare differences still apply), no fuel surcharges, no aisle or window seat fees, no curbside checkin fees, and no phone reservation fees. Although this change to our pet policy was designed to enhance the service that we provide to our Customers, we are sorry that you are unhappy. Please keep in mind that a limited number of pets will be allowed on each flight, which our Employees will be monitoring.

Sincerely,
Margo, Southwest Airlines

And WHY should I have to move if someone comes in with a pet why should I be the one to be relocated?!?!?

I’m a pet lover 100% but I think this is dumb. My cat would hate this more than life itself. He hates even LOOKING at his crate let alone having to ride five minutes to the vet in the car. Plus adults and kids with allergies. No good!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;965158]
And WHY should I have to move if someone comes in with a pet why should I be the one to be relocated?!?!?[/QUOTE]

Richard, I personally would never bring my dog on a plane for safety or comfort reasons but I guess I am not understanding what the big deal is. In another one of yours posts you mentioned children kicking the back of your seat & screaming, if you ever were to ask an attendant to be moved because of that sort of irritation why wouldn’t you just request to be moved if a dog was bothering you under someone’s seat? If someone was following the parameter’s of the airline rules & had a pet of approved weight, in an approved carrier, under the seat & you disliked it then that would be YOUR problem and you should ask to be moved.

There are plenty of times I’ve been seated next to people with nasty BO, a woman wearing TOO strong of perfume or STRONG smoke smells (and I have allergies to that sort of thing), people who insisted on taking their shoes off with REALLY bad foot odor but I’d never think “This person comes on the plane with overpowering perfume that I’m allergic to, why should I be the one to be reclocated?” Well, umm, because I’m the one with the issue, she’s not breaking any laws. It may be socially rude or uncomfortable but my displeasure of that is MY problem.

I totally get for people who have documented animal allergies or whatever but to be honest I’ve been on a plane several times (one long flight from EWR to LAX) with someone who had a dog on the plane & I never heard a PEEP!

I guess I’m not getting what the big deal is here. MANY airlines have allowed small animals in the cabin w/approved carriers & under the seats for YEARS. It’s not like the plane is going to be overrun with small animals, in all my years of flying on an airline that DOES accept pets I’ve seen TWO in my life.

I personally would never travel ith my dogs UNLESS i had to. The only think I dont get is what about the customers who DO have allergies. Cant they smell the animal from anywhere on the plane?
Where did animals fly before? Under the plane?

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;965197]I personally would never travel ith my dogs UNLESS i had to. The only think I dont get is what about the customers who DO have allergies. Cant they smell the animal from anywhere on the plane?
Where did animals fly before? Under the plane?[/QUOTE]

Did they get rid of all peanuts on airplanes because peanut allergies seem to be a big concern now? I am just curious. I think bigger pets were always required to be crated in the cargo section (and an unfortunately large number perish in the process). As long as I’ve been an adult flying on airlanes I know nearly every airline I’ve flown has allowed small pets in carriers under the seats. I don’t think this is anything new, just new to SWA.