Photopass Observations---

I just received pictures I ordered from Photopass, and am a little disappointed. I could tell from proofs that this particular photographer was not the best, but thought perhaps after printing on quality paper editing I did etc, the pictures would improve. They are ok but really are no better than any that I took on iphone or my cybershot. The fact that they captured background and both of us at the same time was a factor in my purchase. At least we have them. I know I didn’t have to purchase them but —there are no “do overs”…

I will say that the ones that my DD had taken during American Idol (they give each contestant their own photopass card) were much much better, so I guess it does depend on the photographer. We already purchased some while we were there, and are working on choosing others for family members now.

American Idol photopass card gives you more time to order, than a regular card btw…her photos don’t expire for another few weeks where as the ones on my card expire soon.

Just FYI—there really isn’t any way of knowing how well your photographer will do, but perhaps if it’s important to get a great shot of your group, better to do that at the front end of your visit so you can view the pictures and try again if needed.

Oh—and it took 3 days for our photopass pictures to show up this trip. We kept checking and they kept telling us to give more time…in the past, they have been available to view by the end of the day—or the next morning at the latest.

Just thought I would pass this info along…:mellow:

Is it possible that the proofs they send you aren’t full resolution to push you to buy the full cost copies?
If not, and you are provided with full resolution files, I guess the guy was sub par.

I don’t know myself because we never bother with photopass.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1122206]Is it possible that the proofs they send you aren’t full resolution to push you to buy the full cost copies?
If not, and you are provided with full resolution files, I guess the guy was sub par.

I don’t know myself because we never bother with photopass.[/QUOTE]

It is all Digital now; you either look at the proofs at a spot in each park, or you can look at them online. So what you see are only as good as each computer you are viewing them on. I just thought that the final product would be better but it really isn’t. (Last visit’s photos were much better quality.) You may be right in your thinking about the push to purchase.

However, as I said, the photos on my DD’s American Idol photopass were alot better—they were printed off while we were still there. Either the photographer was better, or the quality is better because of the equipment used on the spot. I’m not sure but as we are in the process of ordering more of her performance, we will compare those ordered online to the ones we already brought home.

Normally we only get 1 pose of us in front of the castle—but this trip, because of DDs American Idol performance, we wanted alot more. They are very expensive for what you get—just my opinion.

We always purchase the photopass CD in advance and I too have noticed that the photographer makes a huge impact. Some pics are framed great and perfectly centered and others are just so-so.

Last trip I wanted a magic shot of my oldest holding the balloons with our youngest tugging at her dress to “hold” her down. I finally found the photopass photographer that could take the balloon shot and explained what I wanted. The girls did what I said and the photographer snapped a few shots. When we got home to look at the photos, there were no balloons and he had cut off the bottom half of the girls and only photographed from the chest up. It ruined the whole idea of what I was going for.

Some are just much better than others.

[QUOTE=simplytall;1122209]We always purchase the photopass CD in advance and I too have noticed that the photographer makes a huge impact. Some pics are framed great and perfectly centered and others are just so-so.

Last trip I wanted a magic shot of my oldest holding the balloons with our youngest tugging at her dress to “hold” her down. I finally found the photopass photographer that could take the balloon shot and explained what I wanted. The girls did what I said and the photographer snapped a few shots. When we got home to look at the photos, there were no balloons and he had cut off the bottom half of the girls and only photographed from the chest up. It ruined the whole idea of what I was going for.

Some are just much better than others.[/QUOTE]

…I’m sorry you didn’t get the great picture of your kids…for me it’s not as important…until I have grandchildren!! It’s too bad we can’t see the picture right there on the spot or something…so we can ask for another one…

Can’t say for sure, but I’d be certain that Disney equips all of their people with a standard issue kit. I don’t know if each photog is responsible for his gear’s maintenance or to what level.
I guess you need to look at the pictures right away before moving on and if you’re not happy with one photog, you can try another quickly instead of trusting.

Disney’s Photopass is proof that the photographer makes the photo, not the camera.

I’m a guilty Disney bride stalker, and a few years ago, Disney decided to no longer allow outside photographers to shoot weddings inside the parks - only at resort venues. So many brides were “grandfathered in,” but this change made a lot of brides switch from in-the-park venues to resort venues because Disney won’t guarantee which photographer the bride will be given (there are certain Disney Event Photographers that are known for being really good - like Regina and Ty, but others that are just sub-par). A very well-known past Disney bride from 2009 who has written the Passporter book for Disney Weddings admits that if that rule were in place when she got married, she and her husband wouldn’t have wed at Walt Disney World because the reason they flew from California to Florida (considered Disneyland, but they don’t have many in-park wedding venues) was so that they could get married inside the park, but photography is very important to her, and she didn’t want to not know who her photographer was until her wedding day.

I agree. Having just returned from a trip last week, I’m looking at our photos online. It’s basically $14.95 for each picture depending on size or you can just buy a digital jpg file and the release for the same price.

It adds up real fast. I will probably buy 2-3 for specific reasons but I can’t really justify much more than that.

i have been to WDW about 10 times and have use photopass and pre-ordered the cd everytime. never really had a problem with the pics and every magic pic we asked for cam out just right. i know though, that with as many people that come through the parks and over use there are bound to be some problems here to there. i hope they don’t happen to me but if i do have some sometime, i just role with it…i love the magic!

Not all Photopass CMs are willing to do something that’s not in line with the regular pose they are used to. We have found a few in the past, though, that were happy to try something new.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1122204]I just received pictures I ordered from Photopass, and am a little disappointed. I could tell from proofs that this particular photographer was not the best, but thought perhaps after printing on quality paper editing I did etc, the pictures would improve. They are ok but really are no better than any that I took on iphone or my cybershot. The fact that they captured background and both of us at the same time was a factor in my purchase. At least we have them. I know I didn’t have to purchase them but —there are no “do overs”…

I will say that the ones that my DD had taken during American Idol (they give each contestant their own photopass card) were much much better, so I guess it does depend on the photographer. We already purchased some while we were there, and are working on choosing others for family members now.

American Idol photopass card gives you more time to order, than a regular card btw…her photos don’t expire for another few weeks where as the ones on my card expire soon.

Just FYI—there really isn’t any way of knowing how well your photographer will do, but perhaps if it’s important to get a great shot of your group, better to do that at the front end of your visit so you can view the pictures and try again if needed.

Oh—and it took 3 days for our photopass pictures to show up this trip. We kept checking and they kept telling us to give more time…in the past, they have been available to view by the end of the day—or the next morning at the latest.

Just thought I would pass this info along…:mellow:[/QUOTE]

Would you consider just writing to the appropriate department and letting them know you’re disappointed? I know it wont change the photos, however, it’s not really acceptable considering the price of the photo pass. The other thing is, that for some, that may be the only time they ever visit WDW and those photos are forever, I think it only fair they know that some of their photographers are just not quite up to par.

Hi Dixie: I did email someone after I posted this last September, but never heard back and just forgot and didn’t pursue it further. You are right that it could help someone else in the future. I completely forgot about it until someone reactivated this thread. :closedeye

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1122220]Disney’s Photopass is proof that the photographer makes the photo, not the camera.
[/QUOTE]

Ain’t this the truth! (We really need a thumbs up emoticon)

That’s the real difference between a picture taker and a photographer.

Aw sorry SW I didn’t notice it was an old thread. :crying:

sorry too they didn’t get back to you :heart: