Pixar, please STOP!

Andrew Stanton to Direct Pixar’s ‘Finding Nemo’ Sequel - The Hollywood Reporter

Pixar, you use to be the standard setter of animation. Now, you are ruining your creations with sequels. Yes, you got it right with Toy Story, but don’t push your luck. We want ORIGINAL ideas. Even “Brave” had too much similarity to “Brother Bear.”

C’mon! Do better!

I also heard that they plan on doing a fourth Toy Story Movie… I guess about their adventures with the little girl? Sounds like they’re pushing their luck…

Nemo was very popular. But I’m not sure about a sequel. I think they could make it good… they could make it really good. I just hope they do.

I think it has something to do with this director trying to make another hit. He directed John Carter, and it may have something to do with that… Pure speculation on my part.

I am in agreement. The hit a grand slam with the Toy Story movies, but cmon already! Don’t get into that sillyness that Disney fell into there for awhile… we all remember the Aladdin sequel…ugh!

I felt the Disney sequel era was evidence of Disney Animation’s slide into mediocrity. That they would sequel classics like Cinderella to make $$ in the Direct-to-DVD market was pathetic (Imagine someone repainting the Mona Lisa with a toothy grin!).

Keep in mind both TS sequels came, not from Pixar, but from Disney saying, “We own the rights. We’re going to do a sequel with or without you.” It almost felt like the Disney-Pixar merger was to get John L. back in control of his creation before Disney ruined it with a sequel.

I have never even watched Cars II.

The trailer for Monster’s Inc. was TERRIBLE!!! I cringed at it.

It seems to be a Hollywood trend right now. Are there any original ideas left in Hollywood. Look at all the “reboots” taking place.

I got one for them:
The “Chronicles of Boss Mouse”

Part 1: The Fountain Adventures.

Yup that sequel up to Steamboat Willie was the beginning of the end for Disney.

I know what you are saying and kind of agree with it…I think what they (the studios) are missing is that there are Stories that create characters we care about (Snow White, Cinderella, Dumbo, etc) and there are characters that tell great stories (Mickey, Donald, etc).

Stories that create characters usually are stuck in that world. It is hard move Cinderella out of her story universe and make it work. I mean really would you believe a secret agent Cinderella? Or a time traveling Snow White?

Characters that we view as actors that can fill roles in different stories also have limitations. When Mickey Mouse fills the role of a Musketeer it is a fun story because we know Mickey beyond the roll. Small parts of his larger persona fill out the story. The Same for Donald Duck in A Christmas Carol.

For the past couple decades they have tried to wring out new character from successful (and semi-seccessful) movies. It is tough to create a Mickey Mouse and it is hard to tell a great new story like Monster Inc or Toy Story. It is easier to try and leverage something that works into the other and it usually failed (see Stitch…the next Mickey Mouse).

I could never see Mike and Sully doing a version of the Three Musketeer or A Christmas Carol with the cast of Toy Story. So instead they stick in their story universe in awakened stretches of the universe. Toy Story has been the best use of expanding the storyline of that universe.

One thing that I agree whole heartedly with Iger on is his peering down the number of movies Disney releases each year. They have such a rich bank of content that they can rely on but for some reason don’t leverage it (and when they do they apologies).

I personally like John Carter. I didn’t think it was great but it was good. My disappointment was how they left so much on the table. They should have spent more time building out the characters. The John Carter story universe is so rich…you have the futures on Mars and the past on Earth. They could have really done something bold.

I am still waiting for Tomorrowland and Jungle Cruise movies…

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1116495]I got one for them:
The “Chronicles of Boss Mouse”

Part 1: The Fountain Adventures.[/QUOTE]

I would be very interested in seeing that.

I agree for the most part…most sequels are pathetic. But it just might work with Nemo.

I think the reason that the Toy Story sequels worked was because it was a continuation of a large story arch (the relationship of Andy to his toys from childhood to adult…well leaving home for college). When the story universe can continue forward with continuity telling a larger story like that they work.

Most of what Disney has churned out as sequels seem so disconnected from each other that they just flop out.

I remember an interview with Laster a while back where he blasted sequels. He said something like, tell a story and than move on to the next story. Now he seems more inclined to allow them out of the studio.

I am completely in the minority here. I like sequels. Particularly to movies that I have enjoyed and loved the characters. I would definitely go see a sequel to Finding Nemo, and I would also see a fourth Toy Story. There is a familiarity, a comfort level, involved in watching a sequel. Of course, there are some rotten sequels out there, but I think if you have good characters, and a believable story line, they can work. I also would love to see a sequel to The Incredibles. :happy:

willy wonka: “you’re really weird” - YouTube

:laugh:

That’s the one film in the Pixar lineup that screams “sequel.” We currently have 4 Spiderman films, 5 X-men spin-offs (with #6 in production), no less than 7 Avenger tie-in movies (with 3 more in production and talk of even more), 7 Batman films, and 5 Superman films (with 1 on the way). Sure some of them have been duds, but the overall genre is healthy, and Pixar’s unique spin on a “family” of supers has lots of options.

1. Trying to be a family of supers in a world that still resents you.

2. Former arch-enemies seeking revenge on the children.

3. Imagine Dash as a rebellious teenager, using his powers to cause problems/break minor laws/p*** off mom & dad, until it gets out of control.

4. Vi trying to live a “normal” life, have a boyfriend, make friends at school, with her super life messing it all up.

5. Jack Jack having powers that threaten humanity–what do you do?

blah blah blah :ph34r:

heehee.

I have a problem sitting through most cartoons as it is.
I think I am agreeing with Cavey. I don’t necessarily have to see a sequel. Most of them, in my opinion, really feel insincere.

Why not do animated reboots of live action films? Pixar could do films like:

Basic Instinct
Friday The 13th
Schindler’s List
Indecent Proposal
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Blair Witch Project
and more!

[QUOTE=tigger;1116554]willy wonka: “you’re really weird” - YouTube

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will take that as a compliment.:happy:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1116430]I also heard that they plan on doing a fourth Toy Story Movie… I guess about their adventures with the little girl? Sounds like they’re pushing their luck…

Nemo was very popular. But I’m not sure about a sequel. I think they could make it good… they could make it really good. I just hope they do.[/QUOTE]

ditto!!!
i don’t know if i want a TS4 that’s pushing it.

I actually liked the preview for Monsters University. It looked cute… maybe because it hits right with my age group, much like Toy Story (I was a kid when I watched the first two - and when the third came out, I had just left for college. Seriously perfect timing for my generation.) - when I watched the first, I was a little kid (though past the monsters are scary age), and now I’m in college, so it’s funny to see those college party scenes they showed on the trailer.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1116589]Why not do animated reboots of live action films? Pixar could do films like:

Basic Instinct
Friday The 13th
Schindler’s List
Indecent Proposal
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Blair Witch Project
and more![/QUOTE]

No :nonono2::nonono2::nonono2: If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it.
Remember how stupid Heavy Metal was. Other than the good tunes the movie itself was horrible.