Place to charge cell phone?

K, where can I charge my cell for a bit at EPCOT? I’m heading out tomorrow w/ my dd’s class from 5:45am-10pm. My cell phone, while new, doesn’t hold a charge as long as my old trusty non touch screen phone. I was thinking a restaurant obviously, but I’m not sure. Any ideas? I know some of you go way more than I do and I never had this issue since we never used the cell phones in the parks anyways. But dh is in charge of the remaining 4 kids and well…I know he’s going to need info at some point because he’s a guy lol. Thanks!

I’ve heard that Guest Relations will charge your cell phone for you…

Go out the back of Club Cool, turn right and go through the sliding doors to the interior walkway. Check the outlets in there. You could use that time to juice up while taking a bathroom break as well as having the kids read the Disney Time-Line on the wall. There’s also outlets in the baby station, but I doubt the kids would want to visit there :happy:

Unless you can leave the phone plugged in for a good hour, I think you’re wasting your time.
Just charge the thing up overnight, every night.
Smart phones are on all the time and tethered to the network 24/7.
Because of this, battery life is not going to come close to your old cell phone that wasn’t much more than a cell phone.

That’s exactly where I was going to suggest! Get some ice cream while waiting too!

I’m just going to be annoying and point out that this is one area where WDW is FAR behind DL: lockers.

DL’s lockers have always been ahead of WDW’s… and now DL is installing “charge” lockers, where you can plug your electronics in inside the locker! WDW needs to emulate that!

I’m going to be the odd man out and say - leave the phone in the room and the heck with it. I am thinking you need it because you have other people’s children in your care, so get yourself a good, strong carrier pigeon to send messages for you.:laugh: sorry folks…I’m silly today.

That’s the first place I thought of. We’ve used that restroom several times and it’s never crowded.

I’m on a day trip that starts at 6am-10pm. It’s mandatory for each chaperone to have a cell phone. As I’m a chaperone to 5 preteens…I need it. I get what you’re saying SG but my phone gets to under 30% within 8-10 hours w/o blue tooth and wi fi on. I also cannot turn it off if I’m off the bus with the kids. I charge it every night all night til it’s 100%. It also charges rapidly. I can easily get another 5-15% depending on if it’s off or on at the time of charging within 5-10 mins. As it is, I’m not turning it on til around 7am when dh and the remaining 4 kids will be getting up.

I was hoping to take the kids to eat at Liberty Inn, which would give me about 40 mins of charge time and significantly increase my % of battery life. The trip HAS to include a stop at each country for a stamp in this passport the school gives them. So I figured Liberty Inn was a good 1/2 way point place to eat and charge. But I’m not sure there are any plug I can use.

I’ve spent the last 3 days trying to figure out what I can/cannot do to increase the life of my phone. But by turning it on at 7 I’ll get to maybe 5pm before I get the low battery warning. I NEED any chance to charge I can.

I use my cell as a watch and I probably should hit up Wal-Mart for a cheap watch I can put in my bag t keep time with. I meant to do this the other day to test my battery life but I never got a chance to get one. This phone was an unexpected thing last weekend and now it’s biting me in the proverbial butt. Gah!

K, Umm where’s Club Cool?

**Nevermind. Found it :pinch:

My smartphone usually lasts all day,if it doesn’t I have a non apple smartphone that allows ME to change out the battery,on the fly,if yours is a non apple you might consider having a second battery my samsung extra battery cost 29 if you looking for a price target,have fun

I was going to suggest getting an extra battery if you can swap batteries.
I think I understand that you can’t change batteries with an iPhone, but all of the Androids I’ve seen do have swappable batteries, same as you can swap out the SIM card so you can use a different phone.

Also, the more you can do to have the phone idle with its screen dark, i.e. standby, the more life you’ll have as well. Same goes for setting the phone for 2 minutes before it goes back to sleep.
Not using your phone constantly as your timepiece would greatly help too.

I have a Droid Razr - I was not happy to find out you can not swap out the battery (on my old Droid, I had a few batteries, and always carried a charged up spare.

So far, it seems like the battery life is not very good on my new Razr, so I’ll be following this thread to see what recomendations everyone has for charging spots. On the plus side, it does charge VERY fast (20 minutes, and pretty much go from being at 30% to about 80% full).

I use my phone for keeping track of my family in the park, and it is what I use for a camera too.

What brand/model do you have? I happen to have a lot of inside knowledge on this one.

If you have an iPhone, my favorite thing is the Mophie Juicebox. It is a case for the phone with a battery built in that can fully recharge the iPhone. I have a regular case for mine and the Mophie too. Looks like a normal case, flip a tiny switch on the side, you are good to go.

HTC devices, you can buy larger/replacement batteries off of Amazon.com for pennies on the dollar my corp charges for them. Are they be best quality? Probably not, but they are sufficient.

Other Android devices, there is a great app called JuiceDefender that can make a great difference. It will turn off/reduce sync recurrences to really cut down on the smart phone features which really suck up power. The free version is horrible but the pro version is fantastic.

With most brands, there is a trick or two. I have access to a lot of the tricks, let me know.

Ok so I figured out a way to charge it on the fly for a few mins at a time on up to 20+ mins. We had to go to all the Kidcot spots to get stamps in their passports for the class trip. So while my 5 kids were in line, I sat or stood near an outlet and charged when needed. No one ever said a thing to me. I’d scope one out near the floor and out of the flow of traffic and kept my battery life over 90% by doing this. Kidcots are also usually set up in the biggest gift shops in the world. I scoped out sockets even though I didn’t need one and I do know that Italy and Morocco have 0 visible or the stores were so awkward that charging out of the way would have been impossible. I found a few bathrooms with plugs also and the girls would take turns holding the phone while the next 1 of us tinkled. I only had to do this a few times in total, thank God. In the largest UK pavilion you can sit out of the way at 4 sockets near the character meet & greet/Kidcot area. I kept the charger plugged in the phone and left it in my backpack so it’d always be ready to stick the plug in a socket w/o taking all the stuff out.

I wasn’t expecting this phone to eat juice when not in use. My last phone was a Samsung slider w/ full keyboard (not a smartphone) and it’d go almost a week w/o charging. This new phone, also a Samsung (a smartphone) only gets a day max. I used it infrequently as a clock, and the kids all had cells (minus dd) so we’d swap out on time checks. The other lone girl on our motley crew had 2 cells, 1 was her back up because her main phone inhales juice too. Her mom and dad wanted her to be reachable at all times. So that was a bonus.

The back wall in Club Cool has many plugs so I positioned myself at one for 20 mins while the kids sampled the drinks. This got me from my 1 time low of 80% to 96%, which enabled me to get another 2 hours in before it dipped to 90% again. I had to use my phone for about 10 phone calls and a few texts w/ dh. He kept ‘forgetting’ I was conserving juice and kept babbling like a girl over flooring. :rolleyes: My phone was off at intervals and I warned dh that it would be. Since ‘searching for signal’ kept the thing working even when locked or sleeping and that’s where my battery got drained the most I think.

If I were to do something similar again where I can’t always be assured of a plug I’ll get an extra battery. But the phone I have is on major sale and hard to get certain things for it. Dh said he thought of the extra battery idea, but after 5 stores he gave up. There wasn’t time to get 1 shipped here either.

Oh and Dh made sure only the bare necessities were running when I left. I made sure blue tooth and wireless were off, and he made sure no lingering programs or apps were taking up juice, like Gas Buddy. Sometimes that app takes juice and it’s not even running anymore, at least on my phone.

Glad it worked out. One thing you can get too is an external battery charger that runs off batteries. Energizer makes one that takes 2 AA batteries that has a short cable that plugs into your device and gets you back up and running. It is super cheap and works great too.

They make several versions of it, some of them equal to basically a full battery charge for your phone that you can carry around in your pocket with your phone for situations just like you had.

Glad it worked! I remember that our friends charged their phone at the Kidcot stop in the Mexico pyramid in December. As the girls made their masks, they sat on the floor and charged the phone.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1103869]I’m just going to be annoying and point out that this is one area where WDW is FAR behind DL: lockers.

DL’s lockers have always been ahead of WDW’s… and now DL is installing “charge” lockers, where you can plug your electronics in inside the locker! WDW needs to emulate that![/QUOTE]

Charging in a locker, I love this! It would be great to be able to do this.
On my last visit I had 3 batteries. I have a smartphone and I used it for pictures, I had checklists of all the rides and shows, dinning reservations, and letting my family at home experience it with us through texting and sharing photos. I also used it to connect to Mousebuzz :laugh:

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1103992]What brand/model do you have? I happen to have a lot of inside knowledge on this one.

If you have an iPhone, my favorite thing is the Mophie Juicebox. It is a case for the phone with a battery built in that can fully recharge the iPhone. I have a regular case for mine and the Mophie too. Looks like a normal case, flip a tiny switch on the side, you are good to go.

HTC devices, you can buy larger/replacement batteries off of Amazon.com for pennies on the dollar my corp charges for them. Are they be best quality? Probably not, but they are sufficient.

Other Android devices, there is a great app called JuiceDefender that can make a great difference. It will turn off/reduce sync recurrences to really cut down on the smart phone features which really suck up power. The free version is horrible but the pro version is fantastic.

With most brands, there is a trick or two. I have access to a lot of the tricks, let me know.[/QUOTE]

I like the sound of the Mophie Juicebox thanks for the info on that:happy: I am off to go find one now!

You will love it Dixie!

You run your battery down from playing on the phone all day and you click that little switch, and that wonderful iPhone charging sound plays. I have yet to run out of battery and I am on it all day.