Plastic RFID Chipped Annual Passes Are Here

Well, it’s happening. They have replaced roughly half of the regular turnstiles with RFID reader stations. They are “strongly encouraging” passholders to change from paper to the new pass. We converted ours on Monday. Not sure what this will lead to, but the future begins now.

Well, the good news is you no longer have to worry about messing up the magnetic strip with a cell phone or camera. Heck, you shouldn’t even have to take it out of your pocket. We have RFID readers for dormitory entrances on campus, and I would leave my card in my purse to get inside. The boys would back their rears up to the reader. :laugh:

Oh, and the bad news is that you can crush the chip. I accidentally ran over mine with my car… :blush: but because it was in my wallet and showed no physical damage, they replaced it for free.

Just picked mine up today at Epcot! You get to choose between Mickey, Goofy or Donald. Just can’t get use to tapping the box to pay for things with your room key card. I keep trying to enter my pin number too soon and then I have to start all over again with the tapping to make it work!

:pinch::eek: —Coming to the rest of us soon… Can’t wait to see what adjustments need to be made to this system…

I can’t wait to change my paper to plastic!!

…I should clarify—by saying the rest of us—I mentthose buying park hoppers…:closedeye

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1132716]Well, the good news is you no longer have to worry about messing up the magnetic strip with a cell phone or camera. Heck, you shouldn’t even have to take it out of your pocket. We have RFID readers for dormitory entrances on campus, and I would leave my card in my purse to get inside. The boys would back their rears up to the reader. :laugh:

Oh, and the bad news is that you can crush the chip. I accidentally ran over mine with my car… :blush: but because it was in my wallet and showed no physical damage, they replaced it for free.[/QUOTE]

I am thrilled to not have a paper AP! My daughter’s school is the same - tis why I quoted you.:heart:

I don’t understand any of this…

Converted our paper AP’s a few weeks back. Like others said, I didn’t even need to take my card out of the wallet. Just hold the whole wallet next to the reader, put a finger on the scanner and wait for the mickey icon to turn green.

Ok now I am confused…is the AP a bracelet or a plastic card now? Was the AP not plastic before? The only year I ever had one it was plastic with our picture on it…

The new AP’s are plastic cards, back to how they used to be as you remember. I hated the paper passes and frequently had to have a new one issued.

It has a small chip which is what we will all be working off of for admission to the parks and some new additions the IT side is working on.

I believe the bands are going to be used for resort guests only… I think.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1132736]The new AP’s are plastic cards, back to how they used to be as you remember. I hated the paper passes and frequently had to have a new one issued.

It has a small chip which is what we will all be working off of for admission to the parks and some new additions the IT side is working on.

I believe the bands are going to be used for resort guests only… I think.[/QUOTE]

Ok…I got it now…thank you…I can’t imagine why they went to paper for the APs…something that’s used more often…

It wasn’t regular paper, they were actually pretty tough. We have bad several APs over the years and never had a problem with our passes because they were paper.

Goodness, it’s been two decades then, hasn’t it?

My parents had those old APs with the photos on it in the late 80s/early 90s. Back in the day, after they let their passes expire, my Dad thought he was super sly having my mom hold up her old AP for free parking (which you know, back then, was only $6)… until one day, the CM took my mom’s card and punched a bunch of holes in it. “We’ve switched to paper, now.” My mom was livid that my dad made her do that because her AP got all punched up! :laugh:

But yeah, the APs are paper and look just like any other park ticket. My dad and I ruined ours on Kali River Rapids back in 01, and I was so sad because my character had been Minnie, but when they printed it again, it was Pluto. The CM was of course kind enough to continue printing the pass until it was once again Minnie. :happy:

But I think this change happened after they started doing the finger readings rather than photo identification (more accurate). It started with a two-finger reading (which we were told by a CM actually looked at your bone structure? It wasn’t that accurate because my parents could enter with each other’s passes. My sister and I didn’t have to scan.) back in the late 90s/early 2000s, then switched to the one finger print which is extremely accurate… we tried a big switcheroo to test the accuracy and of course ended up looking like a bunch of idiots who couldn’t remember whose pass was whose. :laugh:

The one I have now is that paper. Agree with DT, it’s definitely tougher than normal paper, but this would be destroyed if it got wet. This is also the first year since 2005 that I opted to get a AP over a MYT. I was stuck going the same exact week for over 5 years and could not make the AP work as the pass would expire before getting through my entire trip and I was not going dead in the middle of Summer just to get more miles out of a pass. there are some things like my sanity that I am not willing to sacrifice to save money…:laugh:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1132749]Goodness, it’s been two decades then, hasn’t it?

My parents had those old APs with the photos on it in the late 80s/early 90s. Back in the day, after they let their passes expire, my Dad thought he was super sly having my mom hold up her old AP for free parking (which you know, back then, was only $6)… until one day, the CM took my mom’s card and punched a bunch of holes in it. “We’ve switched to paper, now.” My mom was livid that my dad made her do that because her AP got all punched up! :laugh:

But yeah, the APs are paper and look just like any other park ticket. My dad and I ruined ours on Kali River Rapids back in 01, and I was so sad because my character had been Minnie, but when they printed it again, it was Pluto. The CM was of course kind enough to continue printing the pass until it was once again Minnie. :happy:

But I think this change happened after they started doing the finger readings rather than photo identification (more accurate). It started with a two-finger reading (which we were told by a CM actually looked at your bone structure? It wasn’t that accurate because my parents could enter with each other’s passes. My sister and I didn’t have to scan.) back in the late 90s/early 2000s, then switched to the one finger print which is extremely accurate… we tried a big switcheroo to test the accuracy and of course ended up looking like a bunch of idiots who couldn’t remember whose pass was whose. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Yes!! Long time ago—about 20 years— the only year we had one. We knew we were going to be there twice during the 365 days so we went with the AP that one and only year. I don’t know exactly what year they switched to the finger recognition but it was about that time you are saying Victoria. :happy:

Uh, I want a bracelet. I hate having to keep pulling my pass out. If anything, the bracelets should be for the AP holders.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1132736]The new AP’s are plastic cards, back to how they used to be as you remember. I hated the paper passes and frequently had to have a new one issued.
[/QUOTE]

I like the paper passes for a simple reason. I can forget my pass at home, or even leave it somewhere, and just get a new pass quickly and painlessly.

The good news is you no longer have to worry about messing up the magnetic strip with a cell phone or camera.

If your pass is in a plastic holder on a lanyard you can just put the holder up against the reader. It also read the card through my wallet. Didn’t even take it out.