Please don't get mad,but i have a question

trying to get enlightened here,and ocasionally try to stir the pot…why are most disney safety speels in english and spanish,what about that person from china ,japan,russia italy,germany,begium,france,well you get the picture,why does one group need their own speel…just asking,and curious

The only thing I can think of is that those 2 are the most spoken languages of people that visit the US parks.

Hmm, let’s see. The parks are located in Central Florida and Southern California, both areas where Spanish is solidly the second language spoken. For most tourists coming to America, they have a much better chance of speaking and understanding English than any language other than their own. The vast exception to this rule are those visitors from south of our borders, and they all speak Spanish (with only two exceptions).
Two language announcements in English and Spanish enable the largest number of guests to get the message in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of duplication which would be needed it the second language was German, French, Italian, Russian, etc.

yeah my thought also ,but if it is safety speel ,wouldn’t that cause some legal problems…let say if someone from japan couldn’t understand if not then why not

Good question, but I think they have language cards for other languages that aren’t on the signage or spoken on the safety speels.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1031934]Hmm, let’s see. The parks are located in Central Florida and Southern California, both areas where Spanish is solidly the second language spoken. For most tourists coming to America, they have a much better chance of speaking and understanding English than any language other than their own. The vast exception to this rule are those visitors from south of our borders, and they all speak Spanish (with only two exceptions).
Two language announcements in English and Spanish enable the largest number of guests to get the message in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of duplication which would be needed it the second language was German, French, Italian, Russian, etc.[/QUOTE]

I know that but I live in califirnia…but I can remember years ago when smoking was allowed on planes…came came up an international symbol…for when smoking was allowed and not same as seat bellts but also put it in spanish that is what i am curious about ,rember non el fumar

I would say this is the main reason. I don’t think we could begin to cover every spoken language in every situation in this country.

I had heard that they do have language cards from many languages on them stating important info/safety precautions on them. Does anyone know that this is true?

Where do you stop? I think Disney does a very good job with international guests. When I travel to Europe I don’t expect people to speak English (although most can at least manage a few words). That’s one of the pleasures of foreign travel. Experiencing new languages. It’s fun to try and make an effort.

Also, I think that it’s more than reasonable for them to even include Spanish. Spanish isn’t the official language of the USA. Only English. You wouldn’t find that happening in Canada - it’s English and French - and you can like it or lump it.:laugh:

I second what Soundgod said.

I could be slightly off but I thought Disney also provides headphones with translator units that speak spiels, instructions, etc. in other languages besides English & Spanish. I think you can get them in Guest Services. I know they also print guide maps for all the parks in Japanese, German, French, etc. which I am sure includes safety messages.

This is the website for Walt Disney World’s “International Amenities:”
Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

They are the two most spoken languages in the United States. If we had to wait for the safety stuff in all those other languages we may never get through it.:laugh:

Actually, they also use Japanese announcements in DL. Assumingly due to large number of Japanese guests there.

yeah I have heard some announcements in japaneese…here at DLR …which once agai begs the questions what about the rest if it really concerns safety…that is my question …i know you cannot do they all …but how do you consider it safe when some don’t have the warning …just a question …I believe it is more about marketing than safety…english only on the busses…

I would say it because they are the most common languages

I always think of Spanish as the US’s second language so to speak. I have just come back from Europe ( no I am not European I am English) and in France the main language is French and in Germany German! I dont expect these nations to speak any other language other than their own, as other internationals must think when they enter the USA. It’s an English speaking country, with a large majority of Spanish speaking citizens. As for the safety aspects, I would think it was the guests perogative to find out what the safety aspects of the parks were for themselves, the same as I have to find out the driving laws for Florida, the driving laws for France and for Germany.

thus the use of international symbols…stop sign, red lights,etc…but this spanish thing has been going on for 50 years long before they are here in the numbers they are here now…my point is in england is there a large pakistani population do you have to put on your planes english and pakastani…if english is the language of the the US ,then once again why is my cereal in 2 languauges …I am not against any group but I believe the this has all the earmarks of a future disaster,even england realized back in their history,that english was to be there language despite the fact that years ago french was spoken by the aristocrats and english by the poor…a country needs a singular language…I would think …but once again this is a disney info web site so I will refrain from going down this road ,mny intial question is about safety and the language used …I guess the others can fend for themselves…

What??? English has been spoken in England since 450A.D!! And Pakistani is not our second language, never has been, never will be. Please dont turn this into a tirade against the English. Check your history books before making incorrect statments about my country as I find your comments most offensive.

sorry to offend ,but yes pakastani is not the second language I used that as an example …for at one time other languages in many countries were the second most popular language and di they transalate just for them because they were in the second postion ,obviously NO ,but in case you want to check on that french thing here is alink you might find interesting French as a mother-tongue in Medieval England

like I said i sometimes like to stir the pot…no offense meant but we sometimes get complacent in our malaise…

[QUOTE=delmarjohn;1031987]sorry to offend ,but yes pakastani is not the second language I used that as an example …for at one time other languages in many countries were the second most popular language and di they transalate just for them because they were in the second postion ,obviously NO ,but in case you want to check on that french thing here is alink you might find interesting
French as a mother-tongue in Medieval England[/

I wouldn’t.