POFQ and Pop Warner

For economic reasons, we’re considering downgrading our December trip from WL to POFQ but we’re concerned about staying there during Pop Warner (we’d be there for the first half of the Pop Warner Week). Has anyone stayed at POFQ during Pop Warner? What was it like? Would you stay there at that time again? Any and all opinions welcome.

I don’t want to dissuade you in anyway, but this is my experience. We were at WDW this past December (2008) during the first half of Pop Warner; it was very crowded everywhere, starting with the airport. The ME line was extremely long (from one end of the airport to the other), luckily it only took about 20-25 minutes for us to get through, but there were people leaving the line and getting cabs, that’s how crowded it was. We stayed at WL, it was busy but not overly so. I’m sure the Value resorts were busting at the seams. The parks are where we noticed how crowded it truly was, we bought tickets to MVMCP (a Tuesday evening) hoping that we could do MK at least one night without the huge crowds, but we were sorely mistaken. I don’t know if they oversold on tickets the night we went, but it was just a sea of people in every direction we looked. Make sure you arrange all your ADR’s ahead of time; there were countless people trying to get walkup seating for dinner. Everytime we checked in at a restaurants for our ADR’s people were being turned away because, literally, everything was booked. If I hadn’t already booked our plane tickets we would have changed our dates. I don’t enjoy doing WDW in crowds like that. Since we had my parents and my inlaws with us, we made the best of it and ended up having a pretty good time.

If I may ask, what is Pop Warner?

We were at the WL at the same time as you. We must of just had better luck at avoiding everyone.

Pop Warner is a football and cheerleading/dance championships that takes place at Disney’s Wide World of Sports complex every year during the second week of December. The teams tend to stay mostly at All Stars but the over flow resorts are PO Riverside and PO French Quarter.

I have not stayed at POFQ during Pop Warner, but I have worked at both there and Riverside during two Pop Warner weeks. In my honest opinion-- I wouldn’t stay there if you are planning on using the pool or food court alot.

Granted, I am stereotyping-- but – the Pop Warner crowd was some of the rudest, loudest, most terrible people I have ever met. Disney CM’s DREAD Pop Warner week. Alot of the parents have the attitude of “my kid made it to nationals and therefore can do no wrong.” There is very little discipline happening and kids running wild everywhere. The parents also drink–ALOT. The bartenders LOVE Pop Warner week!

Please, no one get mad at this post-- I’m sure there are plenty of well-behaved delightful Pop Warner teams, but in my personal experience, the overall vibe of the week is chaos and poor behavior! However, if you don’t plan on using the pool or food court alot, you wont really have many run-ins and you probably wont even notice they are there!

we stayed of POFQ Dec. 12-19, 2008, we avoid POP Warner week at all costs, that being said, there were alot of athletic kids at PORiverside during the time we were there…but not so at POFQ.

mostly they stay at the values and at PORiverside.

POFQ is an awesome resort…we love it and will stay there from now on.

[QUOTE=alilmagical32;938467]I have not stayed at POFQ during Pop Warner, but I have worked at both there and Riverside during two Pop Warner weeks. In my honest opinion-- I wouldn’t stay there if you are planning on using the pool or food court alot.

Granted, I am stereotyping-- but – the Pop Warner crowd was some of the rudest, loudest, most terrible people I have ever met. Disney CM’s DREAD Pop Warner week. Alot of the parents have the attitude of “my kid made it to nationals and therefore can do no wrong.” There is very little discipline happening and kids running wild everywhere. The parents also drink–ALOT. The bartenders LOVE Pop Warner week!

Please, no one get mad at this post-- I’m sure there are plenty of well-behaved delightful Pop Warner teams, but in my personal experience, the overall vibe of the week is chaos and poor behavior! However, if you don’t plan on using the pool or food court alot, you wont really have many run-ins and you probably wont even notice they are there![/QUOTE]

We’re not really pool people, especially in December (this past trip it was way too cold for swimming) and as for the food court, we’d really only be using it first thing in the am, like at 7am and if we had to we would be fine with taking it back to our room, we actually did that alot at WL this past trip.

Well, we have stayed at both resorts during the infamous week in December. And we have had run ins with the cheerleaders/football players at both resorts. Riverside was probably worse, but they were pretty badly behaved at POFQ last time we were there. Cheerleading and running up and down the outside walkways way past 11pm on more than one night.

POFq doesn’t book groups…only the all stars, so I don’t think you would be affected if you stayed there.