Poly or SSR - Which would you choose?

Hi All,

Sorry haven’t been around, DS (15) is on two B-ball teams and now practicing for legion ball to begin at the end of May:blink: We are going nuts. How you all do it with more than one child, I am kneeling at your feet praising you!

Anyhow, we were a party of 8 so we rented DVC points at SSR, on a wait list for BWV or BCV. Now we are down to a party of 4:crying: I talked to the DVC owner and it is not looking good for BW or BC so we looked at Bay Lake, but for the points we have already paid for, a 1 bedroom won’t do for sleeping arrangements and we do not want to put out more money for a 2 bedroom.

K, we loved the Poly and we are so torn as to where to stay. There are pros and cons for both. We even went so far as to put the names in a hat and we wound up with the Poly but were still not sure.

So tell me where you think we should spend our vacation, the Poly or SSR. We are going in mid July. We will also have our car w/ AAA parking if we choose to drive in lieu of using WDW transporation.

Thanks so much for helping us decide.

I’d say stay with SSR. The way I’m reading your thread, I believe you have stayed at the Poly already. So, for this trip, try something different, and see if you like a DVC resort. I’ve never stayed at SSR, but I do hear wonderful things about it. Good luck in your decision.

Can you cancel your SSR reservation at this point? Are you worried about not liking SSR? We’ve stayed there once and the only thing we didn’t like was how big and spread out things were, however, that didn’t keep us from having a great trip.

Unfortunately we can’t cancel or we lose the money since we are renting the points.

We have stayed at the Poly and everyone was all for changing to the Poly, although it would cost $195.00 more out of pocket. We went through the pros and cons and the pros of SSR with more room for all, washer/dryer and kitchen was kind of outwaying the Poly but then the Monorail/TTC and theming (and cookies says DH) was making us lean back towards the Poly.

[QUOTE=hiner;1075107]Unfortunately we can’t cancel or we lose the money since we are renting the points.

We have stayed at the Poly and everyone was all for changing to the Poly, although it would cost $195.00 more out of pocket. We went through the pros and cons and the pros of SSR with more room for all, washer/dryer and kitchen was kind of outwaying the Poly but then the Monorail/TTC and theming (and cookies says DH) was making us lean back towards the Poly.[/QUOTE]

So you would be staying at the Poly on points through your DVC member for only the $195?

I’m not gonna tell you either since I have never stayed a poly, but have always wanted to. I have stayed at SSR once. As a DVC owner I love DVC resort, however, I had some issues with SSR. The rooms were very nice and nicely themed. My biggest problem we the bus system there. See it is such a HUGE property and the busses get packed and many time stops would get skipped because the buses were full after 2 stops. They even had transportation people at one of the stop to try to make sure buses would come but it did not help. Lastly, it is big so depending on the building you are in the walk to the main lobby and eatery could take you a while. One other plus is you are very close to DTD.

Just wanted to provide you info to make your own decision.

$195.00 on top of what we have already paid for renting the points.

[QUOTE=CDavis9088;1075109]I’m not gonna tell you either since I have never stayed a poly, but have always wanted to. I have stayed at SSR once. As a DVC owner I love DVC resort, however, I had some issues with SSR. The rooms were very nice and nicely themed. My biggest problem we the bus system there. See it is such a HUGE property and the busses get packed and many time stops would get skipped because the buses were full after 2 stops. They even had transportation people at one of the stop to try to make sure buses would come but it did not help. Lastly, it is big so depending on the building you are in the walk to the main lobby and eatery could take you a while. One other plus is you are very close to DTD.

Just wanted to provide you info to make your own decision.[/QUOTE]

We’ll have our car so the buses will not be an issue. I did request Grandstand and the Springs buildings closest to the Carraige House.

Ok, that’s not a lot when you think about the total cost of your vacation. Is there something you could cut out like a nice meal to even the cost out? Do you need the day bed, is that why a one bedroom is out at BLT?

Yes we would need the day bed as DS and DSS are both almost 6 foot. There is no way they will share a double and neither will fit on the sleeper chair. So Bay Lake was out.

When we stayed at the Poly during our last stay, DS was on the day bed with no problem and DSS was in the other Queen. The room was very spacious.

We are also doing the DDP so knocking out a meal will not save me.

Plus DH and I want to do the Wild Africa Trek for our B-days and Anniversary.

Ok, there is another wrench. I can’t tell you how torn we are. We want to try something new but yet want to go back to the Poly.

Oh, what to do???

[QUOTE=hiner;1075115]Yes we would need the day bed as DS and DSS are both almost 6 foot. There is no way they will share a double and neither will fit on the sleeper chair. So Bay Lake was out.

When we stayed at the Poly during our last stay, DS was on the day bed with no problem and DSS was in the other Queen. The room was very spacious.

We are also doing the DDP so knocking out a meal will not save me.

Plus DH and I want to do the Wild Africa Trek for our B-days and Anniversary.

Ok, there is another wrench. I can’t tell you how torn we are. We want to try something new but yet want to go back to the Poly.

Oh, what to do???[/QUOTE]

You do have a tough choice and I understand why you are torn. We love BCV and always stay there now but I do like trying new resorts. New resorts are exciting but I like the comfort that comes with a known resort. Good luck with your decision.

if you have a reservation at SSR and paid for points,then I am confused it would seem to me that switching would be more than 195.oo unless you have a one bedroom and switching to one room …I personally would stay at SSR ,you should be there when the new pool opens and that has a new food service ,I might have missed it also but the length of stay would also be a consideration …the longer the better for SSR,in mt opinion ,as far as the bus situation is concerned SSR this last trip was the best I have experienced in the past 20 years ,it was unbelievably good…but either way I hope you get your wish and get the BCV…have fun …

I have stayed at SSR a few times and LOVED it. Yes, the Poly is really nice,but SSR has a very relaxed theme and it is beautiful. The POLY is gorgeous and on the monorail loop,but if you have never stayed at SSR I say give it a chance. I liked the pools,the grounds are nice to walk, and over all it is one of my favorite. It is not as busy as the Poly so when you come back at the end of the day you can chill out. All in all, it is up to you and what you want in a resort. You cannot go wrong either way.

Thanks everyone. After sleeping on it, we decided to stay at SSR and still hold out a little hope for BCV. We are excited about trying a new resort and being there for 10 days, we should get the hang of the resort in no time.

I liked the Poly well enough, but think you should stay where you are. You already rented those points and what if the owner can’t rent them now? He/she commited those points to you. Talk to the person you rented from and see what their options are.

If you were at square one, I’d say Poly.
If you’re set on DVC and want to be on the monorail, Bay Lake Tower.
If you’ve already rented points for SSR, stick with that for this vacation.

I think you’ll be happy with SSR. I’m understanding that you have a one-bedroom; well, you’ll be surprised at how nice it is to have more than one room to live in. “Togetherness” is great, but after a full day at the parks, a little “alone” time is pretty nice too. SSR might not sound as exciting as the Poly nor as exotic - but it has a lovely, laid-back vibe. My only gripe is the hugeness of the place; but that shouldn’t affect you if you’ve got a car. It’s nice to have close access to the Marketplace too.

I’m in agreement with llama. I stayed there for DD’s 15th birthday in a studio and really enjoyed it there. Even though the place is huge, bus stations and the resort layout are friendly and make it not feel so bad. We stayed near one of the bridges and were a quick walk to the main area. The bus service was magical as well…barely waited the entire trip. I would definately do it again.

Awww…we could have been “neighbors” at the Poly for a few days…maybe said hi :tongue: