Poly Size and Longhouses

OK I started another thread regarding specific Longhouses at the Poly. I just can not wrap my brain around the size of this resort. I know everyone knows what they are talking about when they say “10 minute walk to…” or “right next door to …” but my little mind can not comprehend what this means. I am more of a visual gal and I have NEVER been to the Poly even to eat!

So…

I have stayed at the WL last year. So for those Pros out there can you answer these extremely specific questions (Note: by extremely specific I mean in my head, I am sure they will end up being extremely vauge!) as to the size of Poly?

Is the Poly resort as a whole bigger or smaller than WL?

Is the distance from the GCH to the beach longer or shorter than the lobby at WL to its beach?

What is the longest walk at Poly?

I am sorry about all of these questions but my mom really wants to stay at Poly next year (as do I) but b/c of her physical limitations I was thinking we should stay at a smaller resort. I feel as if she can handle WL or go even smaller like POFQ. I want to give her options but if Poly is close to the size of WL then I won’t even bring it up b/c she is already worried that her physical state will already slow us down and I don’t want her to second guess herself.

OK I think thats it…for now! :whistling

Lisa

We stayed in the Tahiti longhouse in Nov, it was a VERY easy walk to the TTC which made going to Epcot and MK very easy. The walk to the Volcano pool and the GCH were a bit further, but not unmanageable.

What I think is far is if you are staying at a longhouse near the luau cove and you want to go to the TTC. That is a long walk for someone who can’t walk well. But in that case, go to the TTC via the GCH monorail (you’ll have to switch monorails there to go to Epcot)

A few years ago we were in Samoa, which we loved b/c of the proximity of both pools. It’s literally right in between both pools. The walk to the GCH was very short. It’s a very central location.

We’ve also stayed at WL and while we were on the 1st floor, we must’ve been in the last room down the world’s longest hallway!! That seemed far to me.

Compared to moderates or values, the Poly grounds are not hard to get around. There are many walking paths (although the buildings could be marked better!) and it’s really easy to get around. ENJOY!!

I have done studies for my site and the Unofficial Guide book about walk times since people have misconceptions about how big the Polynesian is. When I take the walk times I go at a normal to slow pace and I even have people passing me. You can walk the length of the resort in 7 minutes and going from a longhouse to the lobby even from the farthest longhouse and going very slow should not take you longer than 5 minutes. I even got from the Tahiti longhouse at the far east end over to the Wedding pavilion (where they show the movies at night) in less than 10 minutes (more like 8). The distance from the GCH to the beach would be 2 minutes or less.

If you go to my web site you can click on each longhouse page then click on the “map” button and it will give you walking times. Make sure when you open the maps you have your viewer as large as it will go because the pics open to a certain percentage of your screen so if you have your browser small it will only open 75% of that size and it might be hard to read.
TikimanPages - The Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages

The nice thing about the Polynesian is you can get to Epcot quickly from the TTC and get to the MK on the Monorail in the lobby. The WL takes a long time to get to any park and most of the time you are using the bus.

Do the poly… It is worth it… Keep in mind, we are discussing 2 different monorail entry points. We used both. We were closer to the GCH (main lobby/restaurants/gift shops/monorail), but once we walked to the TTC to get to Epcot. Most of the rooms are close to something. When you walk out of the back of the lobby, there is the pool, and the beach. It is a huge beach, and a great view. From there, you are just downstairs from the monorail (back inside the lobby), or you can walk 5-6 minutes to get to the TTC to go to Epcot. If you are going to the MK, you can also take the boat-which is quick to the MK (Entry right next to the pool). I would say that the longest walk is 10 minutes… and that is going from one end to the other- just to get to the TTC. Otherwise, you really don’t have to make that walk. But I would also call the resort, as they may be able to help you out. I would ask to be close to the CGH-that way you are close to all transportation, and the restaurants. There are some places that are a 2 minute walk- which almost cannot be beaten. It is worth slowing down for this resort!!!

[QUOTE=Tikiman;977185]I have done studies for my site and the Unofficial Guide book about walk times since people have misconceptions about how big the Polynesian is. When I take the walk times I go at a normal to slow pace and I even have people passing me. You can walk the length of the resort in 7 minutes and going from a longhouse to the lobby even from the farthest longhouse and going very slow should not take you longer than 5 minutes. I even got from the Tahiti longhouse at the far east end over to the Wedding pavilion (where they show the movies at night) in less than 10 minutes (more like 8). The distance from the GCH to the beach would be 2 minutes or less.

If you go to my web site you can click on each longhouse page then click on the “map” button and it will give you walking times. Make sure when you open the maps you have your viewer as large as it will go because the pics open to a certain percentage of your screen so if you have your browser small it will only open 75% of that size and it might be hard to read.
TikimanPages - The Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages

The nice thing about the Polynesian is you can get to Epcot quickly from the TTC and get to the MK on the Monorail in the lobby. The WL takes a long time to get to any park and most of the time you are using the bus.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tikiman!

I love your site and it has already helped us a lot! It is amazing with all of the work you have done! I love the maps and the walk times.

So, in your professional opinion, what longhouse do you recommend for minimal walking at the resort?

Thanks again!

Lisa

Lisa, I would just like to say thanks for asking all these questions because I FINALLY got my DH to agree to stay at the Poly on our next visit-granted I have to wait unitl 2011 but the time will fly!!
I am learning a lot from your questions and all the answers your getting. Thanks!!:happy:

[QUOTE=Princessbaby;977206]Lisa, I would just like to say thanks for asking all these questions because I FINALLY got my DH to agree to stay at the Poly on our next visit-granted I have to wait unitl 2011 but the time will fly!!
I am learning a lot from your questions and all the answers your getting. Thanks!!:happy:[/QUOTE]

Good for you! I will be there in Sept. 2010 so I will give you a full report.

Did you check out Tikimans site yet? It is awesome. It even has a voice that tells you how to pronounce the names of the Longhouses!

Lisa

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;977204]Thanks Tikiman!

I love your site and it has already helped us a lot! It is amazing with all of the work you have done! I love the maps and the walk times.

So, in your professional opinion, what longhouse do you recommend for minimal walking at the resort?

Thanks again!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

Lisa,

Any of the longhouses right up the middle are good locations close to everything, like Hawaii (club level only) Samoa and Niue. Rarotonga and Tokelau are also very close but are much larger longhouses. I would not suggest Tuvalu, Fiji or Aotearoa because they might be close to the GCH but you have to walk around the marina to get to the pool or boat and they are the farthest from the TTC. Don’t talk the monorail from the GCH all the way around to the TTC to get on the monorail to Epcot because it can take a long time.

[QUOTE=lisalovesmickey;977207]Good for you! I will be there in Sept. 2010 so I will give you a full report.

Did you check out Tikimans site yet? It is awesome. It even has a voice that tells you how to pronounce the names of the Longhouses!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

I can’t wait to read your TR!!
I am going to wander over to his site right now-sounds great!!

The Poly is much more spread out than the WL. WL is one building (6 or 7 floors, depending on the room location) with the pool in the middle.
Poly is something like 11 3 floor buildings.

You might want to look at aerial pictures of both resorts to see for yourself.

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

(Drill down to WDW in map view and then switch to birds eye view and don’t pay attention to what the link above says, just click it.)

As for your question about how close the beaches are, it depends on where your room is. At the Poly, if you’re in Hawaii, the beach is right outside your room. Most of the long houses are a bit further away. At WL, if you’re in the south wing (the one closest to the DVC villas) and farthest from the lobby, the beach is pretty close.

While the WL sits on a smaller footprint from above it is a larger building. If you are on upper floors just waiting for the elevator can take quite a while. You can get from any building to one of the 3 beaches at the Polynesian in less than 2 minutes walk time and in most cases less than a minute.

Tikiman I love you.:wub: Ok that aside…lol. thank you for creating the site. It’s awesome and hopefully it will hook dh into Poly for sure. I’m still tying to come up with dates that would br great for our trip as every date I pick gets shot down for 1 reason or another.

So far it might even be into April. sigh:frown: