Pool hopping...A grey area perhaps?

Well Im about to make some August ADR’s for me and 16, 7 and 5 y/o boys. We are driving and I hope to go to the parks and a restaurant before leaving, hoping the kids will sleep in the van for a good stretch while I drive.

We will be checking out of POP before leaving for the parks and packing up our stuff. I still am a resort guest that day I think…

Now say I have an ADR for a resort restaurant. Would I…

a) Allow the kids to hop in the nearest pool before heading out?

b) Drive back to POP and use that one?

c) Stay dry and forget it?

d) Make use of left over extras and go to a waterpark?

And also thoughts where we would not be an inconvience?

I believe the “rules” are that you are not allowed to pool hop. I personally (don’t shoot!!) see nothing wrong with you taking a dip in a resort pool while waiting for your ADR time or going after your ADR as long as your ADR is at the same resort. Get a drink, let the kids wear themselves out and be merry.

I do see something wrong if you stay at Pop and decide to go to the Poly’s pool every day of your vacation just to swim.

I thought I was told you can pool hop except for BC.

Since you are driving, I’d drive back to POP. I think dealing with water park would be too much for the last day. With pop, you just jump in and swim, no waiting in lines, no losing kids, no 6 mile hikes back to the car.

But just jumping in any pool is not allowed.

Two different sets of rules…

DVC (when staying on points) can pool hop except BCV and AKL.

Just staying at the resorts…no hopping

I believe taht is true, OF DVC MEMBERS ONLY!!! I think there is one other pool (other than Storm Along Bay)

I can’t formulate an opinion on is pool hopping wrong or right because it just sounds so weird to me! Why would anyone want to drive to a pool…swim around…then get back in the car or bus WET and go all the way back to their hotel? With the exception of BCV the pools are all pretty much all the same anyway.
It boggles the mind.
But…Disney says it’s no good so that’s good enough for me.

Well, some may attempt it to get a nicer pool than their resort. Others because of the distance involved in travelling back to their home resort. I went solo to WDW once to get a breakup off my mind (she became my wife of 9 years eventually) and I was so roasted in the late July sun that I walked out of epcot via IGateway, and hopped right into the quiet pool at beach club. Im not proud, but I got cool and there was only one other person there…

When we stayed at Saratoga, we changed in the locker type restroom prior to our magical express departure. A quick change, wet suits in a bag and we out of there. So no wandering around in wet clothing.

I personally don’t think pool hopping is a good idea. I can understand if your staying in like Yacht Club, Beach Club, and BW, but not two different hotels. Hang out at your hotel swim, change then go to your ADR.

Even here, you are talking two different properties.
Yacht and Beach share their pools and are really the same resort.
Boardwalk is way on the other side of the lake so it’s not really the same at all.
Swan and Dolphin also share their pools, but again, we’re talking a combined property.
I don’t think there’s a gray area at all. It’s pretty clear that pool hopping isn’t allowed and is actually a pain as far as I’m concerned. Even going to the water parks is a bit of a pain if you don’t plan to have dry clothes and rent a locker to store your dry stuff if you’re going to use the buses. If you’re driving your own car from your resort to the water park, it’s not as bad, but you’re either still wet/damp and changing in the car.
If it were me, I’d either just use the pool at my own hotel, or forget about swimming altogether.

Edit: I didn’t pay close enough attention to your opening post.
Because you are driving, and because you will still have a left over water park admission, I think that is probably the better option, seeing as you will be out of your room by that time and the only place you’ll be able to rinse off will be the showers at TL or BB. Yes, you still have resort privileges after you check out, but where will you shower and change?

[QUOTE=bribren;960278]Well Im about to make some August ADR’s for me and 16, 7 and 5 y/o boys. We are driving and I hope to go to the parks and a restaurant before leaving, hoping the kids will sleep in the van for a good stretch while I drive.

We will be checking out of POP before leaving for the parks and packing up our stuff. I still am a resort guest that day I think…

And also thoughts where we would not be an inconvience?[/QUOTE]

Forget pool hopping, go to a water park. There, the kids will have a great time and you can shower and get dressed for the drive home. This is usually our plan as well, as we drive and we make the water park our first and last day. You can actually nap in the shade to get some rest before the drive and the older boy can keep up with the younger ones…and everyone can shower and dress in comfy clothes or pajamas on the way out. Makes a good plan!

All I know is when I pay for a deluxe resort, I don’t believe I should have the possibility of not getting a chair because of people staying at a value using our resort pool. I choose to pay more and stay at a deluxe so I can enjoy the perks, and not have to fight for space with people who are paying a lot less.

[QUOTE=bribren;960278]Well Im about to make some August ADR’s for me and 16, 7 and 5 y/o boys. We are driving and I hope to go to the parks and a restaurant before leaving, hoping the kids will sleep in the van for a good stretch while I drive.

And also thoughts where we would not be an inconvience?[/QUOTE]

Pool hopping isn’t a “gray area,” it isn’t allowed unless you are a DVC member staying on points. You will either have to use the pool at your resort or go to a water park if you want to swim. Sorry!

I’ve never been able to figure out if it’s supposed to be spelled “grey” or “gray” and apparently, either spelling is valid. I guess it’s an “English/American” thing.

(Mr. Semantics)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;960350]I’ve never been able to figure out if it’s supposed to be spelled “grey” or “gray” and apparently, either spelling is valid. I guess it’s an “English/American” thing.

(Mr. Semantics)[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right, both are fine. I only put it in quotes because that was the question in the title, I hope it doesn’t look like I’m trying to correct someone. I’m the last person who should correct someone here for a misspelled word or a typo.

Im certainly not looking for some justification, just probing for opinion.

Once when I satyed at Fort Wilderness, we checked out at about 9am. Later, we went back to the meadow pool and used the lockers there to get in some more swimming before departing.

This is all just hypothetical anyhow, It will probably be a thunderstorm that day…

That wouldn’t be pool hopping because you are still a guest of the resort for that last day. Even though you had checked out you are still welcome to use the pool and any other part of the resort.

Not trying to stir up trouble, really. However, not only value resort guests have tried this. I completely get your point about getting what you pay for and not having it imposed upon by others who do not belong there.

It’s just that we regularly stay a values and would never do this and I think there are guests that stay at Deluxe and moderate resorts that have tried to hop as well.

Just sayin’.

Briben, I think your kids would really enjoy a day at a water park. It is a great way to cool off and have a lot of fun with a nice place to change and dry off before your trip home.

To me, pool hopping is not allowed, so I would not suggest it.

I would go to the water park personally…they both are better than a pool anyway…
I know that I told my DW that I want for us to check out WL in Oct. when we go because unless there is a great deal it will be all star movie for us but i want to see how WL is because i would love to stay there sometime.

I say pool hop. I agree that generally running all over WDW trying different pools is silly, but your particular situation is different.

If you want to go to a water park, cool, but unless it’s on your MYW pass you’re going to drop a bundle for a short swim. Dive in, get cool, enjoy. I’ve never seen anyone’s id checked at the resort pools anyway. As for being imposed upon at your own resort pool, how did/would you know?

As usual (like the mug thing) threads like this bring out the rule-followers and the pathfinders, always. Good luck.