Pop century

we got a great deal with military rates and a preferred room; well actually connecting rooms – i have never stayed at the pop century before but with three kids in tow i am thinking its a great place with all the colorful decor and images of disney. anyone had any bad experiences there? thanks!

We had a wonderful experience there in Sept 07. The theming is bright and colourful, the food court is great complete with frozen slushies, the pools are fun, our young son loved the Goofy Pop Up Jets, there is a nice sized gift shop and a fun arcade. The rooms are basic motel style, but have everything we need. The property is by the lake and it is fun to take a walk in the evenings and read the decade signs. We loved it there and can’t wait to go back. We also found we didn’t have any troubles with the busses during our stay. Your kids will love it!

Nope! We have stayed 2 times and are going back this fall. Our favorite building is the Lady Building, it is in the 50’s section and close to the Main Building for buses and drink refills. The decor is very kid friendly and fun - make sure to take a stroll around to see all the sites, they are very nostalgic and fun. The transportation is excellent, unlike many of the other resorts, including some of the deluxe, it has its own dedicated buses, will take you straight to the parks, straight home, no stopping to drop others off.

Have a great time!

Yes . . . and let this be a warning . . .

A dumb bird flew into my head as I walked between the 8 and the 0 right outside the food court. Okay, maybe I was the dumb one for walking between the numbers instead of around them, but, geez, he can fly faster than I can get out of the way! :pinch::laugh::laugh:

Other than that, we’ve stayed there three times and had no bad experiences. The theme is fun and it’s very much a kid-friendly place! Enjoy!!

The Pop is our favorite with kids (we also have 3 of 'em:happy::happy:). We’ve stayed there 4 times, and would have been staying there again this trip had we been able to get the buy 4/get 3 free deal there, but we were too late.:pinch:

You and your kids will love Pop. We always get 2 connecting rooms and have PLENTY of room to spread out, and best of all, we have 2 bathrooms! We have stayed in the 80s, 90s and 50s sections. We like the 50s the best, but the 80s and 90s buildings were fine too.

Have fun planning!

I’ve only stayed in Pop Century once, a few months after it first opened…but we had a great experience! Maybe this had to do with the newness of it, but it felt a lot nicer than the All-Star resorts to me. It still has the motel-style rooms, and the walls are paper-thin…but all-in-all, not a bad place to lay your head, especially if you plan to spend the majority of your time away from the hotel. I am staying there again next month…I’ve tried to get reservations previously, but it’s always booked solid.

I’ve never stayed in a deluxe…and I’m kind of afraid to, because then I’d be spoiled and not want to go back to moderate or value…but I think Pop Century is the nicest value resort and I think you’ll be happy with it. If you do intend to spend very much time at your hotel or you have a very lengthy trip planned, you may want to consider upgrading to a moderate such as POFQ, though, because value resorts do tend to be noisy and full of little ones.

Well…there ARE posters of It’s A Small World in some of the rooms…this has been known to cause nightmares for some adults.:laugh:

We’ve stayed there at least 3 times and we just stayed there earlier this week (6/18 to 6/22.) All of the previous stays have been great, but we had problems with mousekeeping this time. I’ve already posted about it in another thread.

Don’t let this change your mind. I’m sure you will love it, I only bring it up to tell you to make sure to stay on top of any issues you have as they didn’t really seem to care much about correcting the problems we were having.

We use Pop as an early arrival spot before our unit opens up. We have never had a problem. Your kids will love it.
One other option is Shades of Green. Rooms as large as the older Deluxe locations. If they are full get on the wait list. If you are on the free DDP at Pop check if you can be on it at Shades. There might be a conflict.

We were there this spring for a 1 day/1 night visit. We liked it enough that we are staying there when we go in August. The pool was nothing special, but with two awesome water parks it’s no big.

I’ve heard VERY few bad reviews of Pop. Most people rave about it - and return on their next trip! We explored it the last time we were in WDW (when we were staying at All-Star Music) and found it to be significantly brighter, cleaner and more inviting than the All-Stars. Granted, it is a lot newer, but I also think it has to do with the capacity at Pop - I think they get a higher staff-to-guest ratio and as such there is much more attention to maintenance, check-in efficiency, everything.

I don’t think you can go wrong, it’s a great choice! :happy:

And there is only one bus pickup. Huge bonus. At All-Star, the bus goes to all three resorts and are always packed.

[QUOTE=Captgoodguy;970996]We’ve stayed there at least 3 times and we just stayed there earlier this week (6/18 to 6/22.) All of the previous stays have been great, but we had problems with mousekeeping this time. I’ve already posted about it in another thread.

Don’t let this change your mind. I’m sure you will love it, I only bring it up to tell you to make sure to stay on top of any issues you have as they didn’t really seem to care much about correcting the problems we were having.[/QUOTE]

We stayed there 5/14-5/21 and had issues w/ mousekeeping as well. 2 front desk CMs we encountered were a lot less than magical, the food court was disgusting-meaning food smashed into the carpet, tables were gross, etc. We just did carry-out and avoided that area. Heard many complaints about the food court that week. I liked the 70’s theming but my kids were less than impressed (ages 12 and 9 boys). We previously stayed at CBR but decided to save money this trip-wished we hadn’t, I think I may be a moderate snob?:eek:

ETA: And the slushies are gone forever, sorry!

We are older folks. Our grand kids are old enough (All in their 20s.) to pay their own way so they don’t come and our kids are not old enough to enjoy it without kids. We have stayed at WDW 52 times and have been to every resort there except Shades Of Green. We have stayed at Pop’s at least 2 or 3 times a year since it opened.
We love it and enjoy the excitement of all the young families.
Will be there again in Sept.
Joe

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;971115]We use Pop as an early arrival spot before our unit opens up. We have never had a problem. Your kids will love it.
One other option is Shades of Green. Rooms as large as the older Deluxe locations. If they are full get on the wait list. If you are on the free DDP at Pop check if you can be on it at Shades. There might be a conflict.[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried, believe me have I tried! and unless things have changed as of this week DDP is only offered by Disney “owned” resorts. The many others that are associated, ex. SOG, Swolfin, Hyatt etc get the many other perks like use of trans and EMH but not DDP.
You’re right about the size, they are still to my knowledge the largest standard rooms on site (480 sqft). Only bigger are suites & DVC type locations.

[QUOTE=beachlovers5;971246]

ETA: And the slushies are gone forever, sorry![/QUOTE]

SAY WHAT???:huh::ohmy::pinch:

:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::ph34r:

:crying:

[QUOTE=beachlovers5;971246]
ETA: And the slushies are gone forever, sorry![/QUOTE]

very not cool :angry::angry::angry::angry:

we too loved pop. fun atmosphere all around. and it was very much more families as compared to the other values that tend to be groups of kids…sports, band, cheering whatever…:pinch:

[QUOTE=smee57;971331]SAY WHAT???:huh::ohmy::pinch:

:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::ph34r:

:crying:[/QUOTE]

I KNOW! I was freaked by that too. All Ears still has them on the menu as Icies. Maybe it was just out of order…

That’s true too: a big plus!!! With the All-Stars, it’s basically a 50/50 chance that you’ll get stuck standing whenever you get on a bus. :dry:

Stayed at POP several times…love it! Will stay there again in August. And, yes, the frozen cokes are GONE! Still, a great value resort and lots of fun for the kids.