POP question?

So we have a hold on two connecting rooms at the POP for our March 2010 trip…

my TA has us in a preferred room…question

is the preferred necessary or standard is fine?

it will save us $64.59…

What does everyone think?

I never stayed at the POP before so i don’t know what is good vs not good.

i will look at allears to get a overview but was wondering what others thought.

we have a party of 6

2 adults and 4 kids age 7 to 2 years old.

TIA!!!

[QUOTE=pixeemom;984404]So we have a hold on two connecting rooms at the POP for our March 2010 trip…

my TA has us in a preferred room…question

is the preferred necessary or standard is fine?

it will save us $64.59…

What does everyone think?

I never stayed at the POP before so i don’t know what is good vs not good.

i will look at allears to get a overview but was wondering what others thought.

we have a party of 6

2 adults and 4 kids age 7 to 2 years old.

TIA!!![/QUOTE]

We have stayed at Pop Century about 6 times since they opened. Never in a preferred room. We didn’t have any kids with us. I don’t know that there is any difference in the rooms, only the locations.
For us Fl. residents $64.59 could be 1 more day in WDW.
subvetss

Go standard and request the Lady Building. It is in the 50’s section. Part of it is preferred, part is standard, but it is right next to Classic Hall and has the Bowling Pin Pool and the laundry right there.

Otherwise, you’ll likely be walking quite a ways…

That’s where we stayed last year and are staying this year, too.

I do not think the preferred rooms are any different than standard. I believe the location of the preferred rooms is just closer to the main building and bus stop.

Last September my family and I had a connecting room at POP. They were both standard and if I remember correctly we were in the 90’s building. I have to say it was not a far walk to the main building or the bus stop. So I would say save the extra money. I am not convinced that preferred is always the way to go.

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;984413]Go standard and request the Lady Building. It is in the 50’s section. Part of it is preferred, part is standard, but it is right next to Classic Hall and has the Bowling Pin Pool and the laundry right there.

Otherwise, you’ll likely be walking quite a ways…

That’s where we stayed last year and are staying this year, too.[/QUOTE]

With 4 kids, the idea about something close to the laundry is great. We once stayed pretty close to the food court(can’t remember the number) that must have been right next to preferred rooms. It was great for us, but the people who spent the extra 10 -15 bucks a night to live 12 ft closer weren’t so lucky.

This yr with an AP discount we are staying one night in a preferred room. Standard would have been fine, but wasn’t available. The preferred room is about 75 cents cheaper than the standard with AAA.

Are you talking about saving $64 a NIGHT, or over your whole stay?

Personally whenever we used to stay at Values we did “preferred” everytime. You’re location is better & you’re closer to everything. Trust me, that was a blessing late at night after you stood waiting for a bus for too long & your room is the closest one to the main building.

If you’ll be saving $64./night than I’d probably choose Standard but if it’s just a $64. savings over the whole stay there’s no way I wouldn’t stay Preferred.

PS: I don’t know the dates of your stay but if you choose “Standard” & put in a request for a building close to the lobby there is a big chance they won’t honor that request during the busy seasons.

Wow!! I’m 73 years and my wife is in a power wheelchair. We never worried about being close to the buss stop or main hall. You all must be a lot older than us,:laugh:
subvetss

depends on your fiances we never did the preferred but late at night after dealing with kids who by now are exhausted. at least one is asleep and you have to carry them. and thier toys diaper bag etc. . it might be work an extra $64.00 over the entire vacation to be close to your room.

It depends on your situation I just booked a preferred room at the movies resort because of a couple of factors one the location and two the theme of the building for that resort. it can be valuable to be in a preferred room after a long day. but either way it is a winner after all you are at Disney.

If the difference in price isn’t a big deal keep the reservation. We like to be close to the main area so we don’t have a long walk to refill a mug or grab a snack. I would hate to be stuck in the room during an afternoon shower with a long walk to grab a drink and snack.

Everyone makes very good points, thank you, i never thought about how close it could be after a long day/night in the park with 4 kids…esp. 1 of them being only 2.5 at time of travel.
and to answer Wishuponastar…its just 64.00 for the entire trip, not per night, so i guess it does make sense to just keep the preferred.

Thank you all!!!

It’s just luck of the draw imo. One year we stayed at ASMu in Jazz on pool end facing Melody Hall and spoke with a family in Calypso (preferred) on parking lot end facing Jazz and we were closer than they were w/o paying extra.
Yet another year we were stuck way out in Siberia in Broadway where the only thing that made since was to “drive” to the front,lol.
Unless you’re paying for it, you may/may not get just as lucky without it.

pop century is relatively small so preferred room arent that big of a deal, IMHO. I would request the 50’s bldg or the 70’s bldg. when you check in. Even the rooms that are farthest away aren’t really that far and you can cut across the parking lot to get to the buses.

POP is my familys favoriteeee! We go every year. I agree, Lady and ther Tramp (the 50s) is the best. At the lobby check in we always request the 50s! We usually stay in a preferred room (poolside) Which is nice! If you have any other questions let me know! I’ll be sure to answer them! :smiley:

so if i stay with the preferred section, i should ask my TA to request the 50’s or 70’s bldg.?
TIA

Ive never stayed at POP yet but for Sept trip I requested 50’s building because Ive heard it close without the extra cost.

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;984413]Go standard and request the Lady Building. It is in the 50’s section. Part of it is preferred, part is standard, but it is right next to Classic Hall and has the Bowling Pin Pool and the laundry right there.

[/QUOTE]

I took Cowanfamily’s advice and requested as she mentioned above, we’ll be there in 13 days, so I can let you know what we thought when we get home. Close to main building, pool and laundry…can’t beat that!

have fun, I hope it works out for you.

I personally think the preferred room is worth it at the value resorts. Every time I think of my Easter trip at the ASMovies and the location we had, I shutter…it was faster to walk to ASmovies bus stop and use their ammenities than it was at our hotel…lol Also, with small children the location may be worth it. You will be closer to the main area with the arcade, food and main pool not to mention the bus stops. nothing worse than trying to carry a super tired child to a room at the end of the day.

i would def. appreciate that!!
i did speak to my TA again and she said:
“From her perspective, no matter what, it’s a gamble BUT, she will note in my file that i have 4 small children and NEED to be as close to the food court as possible. she usually finds that when she puts that vs. something like “close to buses” it gets their attention. Of course everyone wants to be as close to the buses as possible so, it’s not really a request! A need, such as medical or young children gets their attention.”