Port Orleans French Quarter

Came across this today thought it was interesting:

Port Orleans - Guest Room Refurbishment Updates (2010/2011)

This seems to indicate that they are changing over to queen beds.
If this is true, we will return to French Quarter next year if we decide to go mod.
But CSR still remains a better choice, so long as you can get into Casitas 2 or 3 because these buildings straddle the first returning stop from parks (Stop 2) and the last departing stop before heading out to the parks (Stop 1) which allows you to minimize your time on buses, unlike the PO complex where there are 5 stops and most buses are shared between FQ and Riverside.
The conventioneers at CSR don’t bother me in the least.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056894]This seems to indicate that they are changing over to queen beds.
If this is true, we will return to French Quarter next year if we decide to go mod.
But CSR still remains a better choice, so long as you can get into Casitas 2 or 3 because these buildings straddle the first returning stop from parks (Stop 2) and the last departing stop before heading out to the parks (Stop 1) which allows you to minimize your time on buses, unlike the PO complex where there are 5 stops and most buses are shared between FQ and Riverside.
The conventioneers at CSR don’t bother me in the least.[/QUOTE]

The stops at PO are crazy a lot of the time and are standing room only. We did find eventhough we stayed at Riverside, we took the French Quarter bus back and were the only people on the bus sometimes. What’s a little walk at the end of a busy day?.. lol

:ohmy:OMG those rooms are SMALL!!! I’ve gotten spoiled:blush:

I so hate resorting to cliche’s, but I really did audibly laugh loudly when I read that.
The mods are tight compared to deluxes, especially the original deluxes including The Golf Resort aka SoG.
It’s not quite so bad when it’s just two adults though.

We’ve never stayed at a Mod and it’s been years since we stayed at a Value. The girls were toddlers then and we didn’t need much room. Now that we’re all bigger, thanks to SoG and Disney’s deep discounts on deluxe’s we’ve gotten used to space. I just assumed the mod’s would be more roomy than a value but after looking at these pics they “appear” to be the same with a higher price tag.

That’s pretty much it, the rooms aren’t much bigger at all. Not exactly sure why they would increase the price and call it “moderate”. Maybe it’s because the resort(s) themselves are a little bit larger… It’s a tough call since some of the value resorts are quite large.

the different level of amenities between the two i’d think. Just thought sqft wouldn’ve been a big factor as one of them.

It is the level of amenities that makes the difference between a mod and a value as well as size. Consider that in many ways the three All Stars are treated as one, so that’s a total of 6000 rooms while Pop has 3000 all by itself and the Forgotten Years would add 3000 more. Riverside, CSR, and CBR all have “only” 2000 rooms and FQ adds another 1000 to PO’s total. Also, the mods have sit down restaurants while values only have food courts.
The main pools are more than just the pool and have other features.
If you look at All Ears, each hotel fact sheet tells you the square footage of the rooms.
Believe it or not, a value room is 260 sq ft while a standard room at CBR is 340, CSR and FQ are 314, and I have to assume that Riverside is the same as FQ.
And don’t forget that in mods, you get the fridge for free.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056920]It is the level of amenities that makes the difference between a mod and a value as well as size. Consider that in many ways the three All Stars are treated as one, so that’s a total of 6000 rooms while Pop has 3000 all by itself and the Forgotten Years would add 3000 more. Riverside, CSR, and CBR all have “only” 2000 rooms and FQ adds another 1000 to PO’s total. Also, the mods have sit down restaurants while values only have food courts.
The main pools are more than just the pool and have other features.
If you look at All Ears, each hotel fact sheet tells you the square footage of the rooms.
Believe it or not, a value room is 260 sq ft while a standard room at CBR is 340, CSR and FQ are 314, and I have to assume that Riverside is the same as FQ.
And don’t forget that in mods, you get the fridge for free.[/QUOTE]

There are perks to the moderate now that you mention it. Thanks for the info and clearing that all up. Off to All Ears now to research… love this forum.

Oh and if you stay in a mod, you get the same shampoo, conditioner, and (I believe) hand lotion that you get at a deluxe while at a value you get that combo shampoo/conditioner that isn’t particularly nice to my hair.

I know what you mean… When we stayed at the Music and used their shampoo/conditioner, everyday was a bad hair day for me. I just couldn’t do a thing with my hair…:whistling

This is fabulous news. Port Orleans (both Riverside and French Quarter) has always been where I feel most “at home” at WDW. We joined DVC two years ago so we haven’t stayed at either resort for a bit, but in our last couple of stays, the rooms really did seem rundown and that was a few years ago. I am excited to see the finished project and maybe stay along the Sassagoula again once they are done!

Glad to see the updates are coming. I stayed at POFQ last January, and I’ll be there again this January. I loved it last year, but the rooms did feel just a tad tired. Looking forward to the changes!

I hope they go with the themed rooms for Riverside. There was talk of the “Princess in the Bayou” theme for Alligator Bayou and “Haunted Mansion” theme for the Mansions… only time will tell.:blink:

Oooo…a Haunted Mansion. That would be interesting. Even adding a mystery dinner show in the old PO restaurant would be great. What fun! Bet housekeeping wouldn’t mind a Haunted Theme…less cobwebs and dust to clean since it’d fit right in :laugh::laugh:

This has me so excited! We just made the decision today for Port Orleans French Quarter and then I came across this post. Now I just hope to get one of the new rooms in March. Is there a way to request a specific building or is it just luck of the draw?

Some guest photo’s of the new FQ renovation.

Port Orleans - Guest Room Refurbishment Updates (2010/2011)

LOL!! We always take our own, even soap & soapdish!

So do we.
Why? Because they just don’t have my soap or my shampoo!