Port Orleans - Riverside - comments ? hints?

We just found out that my daughter doesn’t have any finals scheduled at college so we put together a Disney trip in two days ! We were just there in April, and we stayed at Art of Animation but were bumped to Saratoga Springs because of some room problems. The thing is, we absolutely love going to Disney for the Christmas holiday. Our family of five has been there 14 times with this being our 15th. Twelve of those visits have come over the Christmas holiday. We live in Pennsylvania, but like to call Lake Buena Vista our second home.
Anyway, we got everything booked and the most affordable route for our family of five was Port Orleans - Riverside. Are there any hints or comments anyone can offer who have stayed there in the past ? We’re going to be there for one week, and we plan to head over to Universal Studios for two days. Does anyone know when the Disney Christmas Day tapings will take place ?
Thanks in advance !

I don’t know anything about POR, but I heard the taping is being done on 7,8, and 9. That’s Sat thru Mon. which sounds odd to me I always thought it was Fri, thru Sun. Where are you going to be there?

We have stayed at POR several times. It is a really large resort that is divided into two themes. One resembles a rustic bayou, the other southern mansions. We have only stayed at the bayou which is really nice. If you have anyone with mobility issues, you might want to request a spot close to the front desk and food court.

The pool area resembles an old time swimming hole. Very fun. They share a campus with POFQ so you can walk (a bit of a walk) between the two and use both pools without breaking any Disney rules.

The food court is good. They do serve beignets which are homemade donuts with powder sugar on them. They are really good but undoubtedly not good for you!

The highlight of the resort is Bob Jackson who is a fantastic entertainer who plays the River Roost 4 or 5 nights a week. Bob is absolutely wonderfully insane and he plays a show that has the whole family singing and galloping around the room. It is classic Disney. Here is a link:

If you can think of any other questions, let me know!

We’re leaving PA the afternoon of the 8th. We will be there the 9th, but our plan was to start our trip at Hollywood Studios. If I knew of any acts recording on the 9th, I would change our plans accordingly. Does Disney release any schedule for taping ?

We really appreciate your expert input ! You’ve made us more excited for the upcoming trip. I myself am a big, big fan of Cajun-style food so I am looking forward to a few lunches and dinners at the resort. I will make it a point to sip on a Hurricane and go see Bob Jackson.

POFQ Riversides sister resort is where we always stay…right next door. We have stayed at RS before though. Take a walk or the boat over to FQ for a change of pace…they don’t have a sit down restaurant, but they do have a good food court…and they have an entertainer on Thursday-Saturday nights…we love both resorts but stay at FQ because it’s so much smaller–not so spread out. You can use all the facilities like pool ex at FQ too! Have a good trip.

Thank you much for the advice. This is only our second time staying onsite at a Disney resort. We have been to Florida 14 times in the past fifteen years but we have either rented a home or stayed at a hotel or townhouse; mostly because we split time between Disney and Universal Studios. However, after experiencing the “onsite experience” earlier this year, we had to return. We’ll have a rental car to get out and do Universal, but besides that, we’re looking forward to our stay.

We stayed at Riverside last month in one of the “mansions”. We were very far from any bus stop and it was suggested that we cross the river and catch the bus at the main building. I think this is the first trip where I’ve stayed on property that I didn’t ride a bus once. It was just more convenient to jump in the car, especially as we have a AAA Diamond parking pass.
I’d be comfortable telling you that when you’re there, Riverside and French Quarter will likely only be sharing the DTD bus. The buses to the parks should be one for Riverside and a different one for FQ. That helps because Riverside has 4 stops while FQ would add a 5th stop (and more time).
If you have access problems and you’re in the Bayou section, ask for a ground floor room. The two story buildings don’t have elevators, just stairs.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you’re planning to do both Universal and WDW, stay on property at Universal for the days you’ll be there. Your room key is a permanent fast pass. You have no idea how handy this will be. When the time comes to head to WDW, check in to a WDW resort.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1919094108]We stayed at Riverside last month in one of the “mansions”. We were very far from any bus stop and it was suggested that we cross the river and catch the bus at the main building. I think this is the first trip where I’ve stayed on property that I didn’t ride a bus once. It was just more convenient to jump in the car, especially as we have a AAA Diamond parking pass.
I’d be comfortable telling you that when you’re there, Riverside and French Quarter will likely only be sharing the DTD bus. The buses to the parks should be one for Riverside and a different one for FQ. That helps because Riverside has 4 stops while FQ would add a 5th stop (and more time).
If you have access problems and you’re in the Bayou section, ask for a ground floor room. The two story buildings don’t have elevators, just stairs.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you’re planning to do both Universal and WDW, stay on property at Universal for the days you’ll be there. Your room key is a permanent fast pass. You have no idea how handy this will be. When the time comes to head to WDW, check in to a WDW resort.[/QUOTE]

We have stayed at FQ many many times, and only once a trip (if that) have we ever shared any bus with RS. I keep reading complaints about the bus service at WDW, but honestly…I really can’t complain…we don’t rent a car and take the bus back and forth with no issues. I guess my only bus complaint is the long walk from Epcot to the bus after a long day…lol…AK can be a long walk too but we don’t always go to AK…

We take the boat to DTD so the shared bus there isn’t an issue—however—I don’t think the boat is really any faster—just more fun on a nice evening…

We have eaten at Boatwrights which is the sit down restaurant at the resort. We found it to be good (not great) and worth a dinner there.

Don’t let anyone tell you it is too huge of a resort. It is big, but beautiful, and scenic and relaxing… Plus- it’s Disney- so it’s better than not being at Disney any day. If the weather is nice, take the boat to Downtown Disney. it is not fast, but it is relaxing and a change of pace from the buses. You will love it, and the service I have found at any disney resort is fantastic. Enjoy your trip. We are all a little jealous!

Actually we are all VERY jealous!!

There are carriage rides at Riverside also. Very popular, so will most likely have to make a reservation. Maybe Guest Services there can help you with that if you want to have one.

Speak for yourself. I find it impossible to be jealous of someone who is arriving 2 days after I do. Especially when I’m staying at French Quarter and they’re next door at Riverside.
(Dining Note: Boatwright’s hours don’t really work for me, as they’re only open for dinner and not breakfast or lunch. So, it’s food court and other venues.)

When Bonfamilles was open at FQ, we used to get breakfast there. I guess there just aren’t enough patrons to have Boatwrights open for breakfast. I can understand not opening for lunch, but I’m surprised about breakfast. We have tried to eat dinner at Boatrights but can never get in without a reservation.

We have stayed at both Port Orleans Riverside (Dixies Landing ORIGINAL name) and French Quarter. We found Riverside to be nice, but just too spread out (just like Caribbean Beach Club) for us. It does have the 4 bus stops, and we almost always use bus transportation as I rent a car very infrequently. You are on vacation. Sit back and enjoy the ride. The buses CAN be very crowded, but only for a short time. DO pay to have a carriage ride, it is fun and relaxing. Most of all, ENJOY your stay. We are there (Beach Club from the 6th to the 13th).

I actually prefer Riverside over Caribbean Beach for one big reason, Riverside has only 4 stops while CBR has a whopping 7(!). Seven is just too many for an internal loop in my book.

Port Orleans Riverside (Formerly Dixie Landings many years ago) is our favorite place to stay. The food court is good. The sundaes are huge!

This is a quiet resort, but has lots of things to do for the kids.

The main thing to point out is that some of the buildings do not have elevators. That may or may not be a problem for you. Mobility issues or just the desire not to carry your luggage for an entire family up and down the stairs could be a concern for some. Make sure you discuss this with the desk when checking in.

None of the two story buildings (I think they’re the Bayou Bend section standard building) have elevators. In that case, ask for ground floor. If you’re in the Mansions section, those are all three floor buildings and all have elevators.