Port orleans riverside opinion, advice or tips

we booked port Orleans riverside…i wanted the french quarter but didnt decide in time… …we asked for a king bed… any special buildings anything else should we ask for… we have never stayed at a moderate. im kind of excited. :goofybounce::goofybounce::goofybounce::goofybounce::goofybounce: anybody who stayed there want to give me opinions please. we love all star music and usually request it…but all of the all stars are booked except sports… thanks much…

We stayed at POR last Christmas, we thought the resort was very nice and very relaxing. I enjoyed walking around enjoying all the space and quiet. Look at a resort map and ask for a building near the main area if that’s important to you. Enjoy!

http://allears.net/acc/portorleansmap.jpg

We love POR! We stay at the Alligator Bayou section because we have 5 people in our family. I wasn’t sure I would like it at first, but it has such beautiful ladscaping and it is so peaceful. Pictures do not do it justice- you have to see it in peron. We were there in Aug 2007 and it was pretty full, but walking around we didn’t run into a lot of people. The grounds are certainly bigger than FQ and there are several bus stops, so once you find out which building your in, locate the nearest stop. We were in building 16 which was actaully close to the main bus stop by just a short walk across the parking lot of building 15. Are you interested in the mansions or the more rustic area of alligator bayou?

we have no idea… never been there before… we did ask for a non smoking room… and a king bed Im not sure if that makes a difference in where we will be I havent asked for a building or area because i had no ideas what to ask for.
since i see yo go in april what type of clothes should we take shorts, tea shirts or long pants.

How about taking a look at this fan site? Port Orleans - An Unofficial Visitor’s Guide to French Quarter and Riverside
We love POR and have always stayed in the Aligator Bayou section. The landscaping there is just so lush.

All resort rooms are non smoking now. They’ll charge you extra for a king bed.

[QUOTE=faerie dust;922809]we have no idea… never been there before… we did ask for a non smoking room… and a king bed Im not sure if that makes a difference in where we will be I havent asked for a building or area because i had no ideas what to ask for.
since i see yo go in april what type of clothes should we take shorts, tea shirts or long pants.[/QUOTE]

Last time we went at that time of year, I wore shorts and t-shirts during the day and then capris and a light sweater in the evening. It can also get chilly if it rains. So you really need to bring for cooler and warmer weather. Sweatshirts, jackets and shorts. It was warm enough during the day to swim (high 70’s-low 80’s)- that was a treat for the kids.
As far as where to stay at the resort- I would look at the links provided above and see what area appeals to you more. In my opinion, the two areas of POR are completely different. I personally prefer alligator bayou because I enjoyed all the landscaping that surrounded the buildings and quiet pools.
Enjoy looking at the pictures! I can’t wait to go back myself!:heart:

And before I forget it, we love that boat ride from the resort to DTD, which we did almost every night. It’s really a very nice resort :smile:

Ok, here’s a thread from another board that is chuck full with the most beautiful pictures of POR. Really beautiful pictures - enjoy

Staying at Riverside : Show me pics, get me excited!! - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

We love POR – our favorite buildings are 14, 15 and 18.

In the lobby in the evenings, there is a cool piano player – we call him Piano Bar Bob – and he’s so much fun! Be sure to wander through the lobby to see him.

Homemade cinnamon rolls each morning, hot out of the oven in the bakery section of the food court.

By the way, the food court is the best in all WDW.

We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section in March 2007 and liked it. We were on the bottom floor and could really hear the water running through the pipes in the walls by the bed. Sink water, toilet water… If you can handle the stairs, you might want to consider an upper-floor room. Has anyone else noticed this, or was it just my being ridiculous? I wouldn’t NOT stay there because of that, but I just noticed it and thought it worth mentioning.

I think that’s a problem in any hotel. We have always stayed on the second floor and like I have said before, it felt like we were all alone up there living like the swiss family robinson - in a treehouse :happy::heart::happy:

OK, this may be insane, but we just bought DVC with BWV as our home resort. It is really luxurious and wonderful and perfectly located and yadayada.

BUT – and this is a big one – there is a magic at POR that even a gorgeous resort like BWV is missing. That magic is at Alligator Bayou section, and it is in the grounds! The little ponds and the woodsy paths and the little lizards sunning themselves and the turtles and the birds and the butterflies, and even an armadillo once!

I just love that area of the resort, and it is so nice to just hang out and enjoy the wildlife! Even the ivy and moss and flowers. It is magical in a way that no other resort is.

I just wanted to add that the mansion section is also just as beautiful and lush. I absolutely loved staying in the Oak Manor section. We had one of the “quiet” pools right outside of our room, and it felt like our own private pool.

I

[QUOTE=MissDisney;922859]OK, this may be insane, but we just bought DVC with BWV as our home resort. It is really luxurious and wonderful and perfectly located and yadayada.

BUT – and this is a big one – there is a magic at POR that even a gorgeous resort like BWV is missing. That magic is at Alligator Bayou section, and it is in the grounds! The little ponds and the woodsy paths and the little lizards sunning themselves and the turtles and the birds and the butterflies, and even an armadillo once!

I just love that area of the resort, and it is so nice to just hang out and enjoy the wildlife! Even the ivy and moss and flowers. It is magical in a way that no other resort is.[/QUOTE]
My boys loved watching the lizards running around! They also found a huge turtle in the river right by the bridge! They do have great grounds!:heart:

We always stay in POR, we had an ‘off’ year once but all was forgiven, its like home to us. And we always request Alligator Bayou block 18, or Oak Manor both in great locations for the food court.

Bunnies, lots of bunnies :happy:

How could I forget those bunnies:wub:-my DD LOVED them!!

for now I will just say this resort is beautiful! We love it and stay there nearly every vacation. I am in the process of burning dinner now though :laugh: so must go! Ill be back later to give more of a answer!!

[QUOTE=faerie dust;922809]we have no idea… never been there before… we did ask for a non smoking room… and a king bed Im not sure if that makes a difference in where we will be I havent asked for a building or area because i had no ideas what to ask for.
since i see yo go in april what type of clothes should we take shorts, tea shirts or long pants.[/QUOTE]

Shorts and tees, we went this time of year and it was hot!

You love POR!! It is our FAVORITE resort!! We keep count of all the lizards we see:blink:. BOB at the piano bar is the greatest!! He plays Wed - Sat from about 8 to 12pm. POR just feels like home to us!!

Bldg 14, 15 and 18 are close to everything!! Pool, lobby, food court and BUSES!!
Have a great time you will love it I am sure!!