POTC On Stranger Tides - what happened to the mermaid?

I have to apologize for this post - I know On Stranger Tides came out like forever ago, but I just now got to see it. And I really enjoyed it!.. But the cliffhanger with the mermaid and Phillip (I think his name was… the religious one that was tied to the mast) killed me!! What happened to them?

I assume they lived happily ever after… since she was “different” and they kissed… but when she said “I can save you if you ask,” all he asked for was to be forgiven… and she IS a mermaid, after all…

But was that a shadow of two merpeople I saw swim past the credits at the end? As in, hint hint, they’re together forever?

I can’t handle this. I need answers. :laugh:

In traditional mermaid folklore, mermaids are somehow able to change men into mermen. I’m not sure how or when, but I’m almost positive that that it what she did. Also, how can you let someone like “the last English Catholic missionary” (as my best friend and I refer to him) just die. That’s blasphemy.

On a similar note, I was in WDW this past week and noticed something on PoTC that I’ve never noticed before (probably because it’s always been too noisey). You can hear the mermaids singing and splashing in the water. Has anyone else noticed this?

I kind of thought that’s what they were hinting at. I don’t know why the open ending for them bothered me so much - I guess because they made the mermaid/missionary plot a pretty big part of the movie, but then they just kind of dropped it at the end.

Yes! I went to Disney in early November before I saw the movie. I thought the effect was neat but a little too subtle - half my family didn’t even see it. But after seeing the movie, I think the effect is perfect! The splashes look just like the mermaids when they first start circling the boat. I love it - awesome little touch up to the ride!

The mermaid is in my aquarium. I left the god-dude on the insland.

A-HA! Mystery solved. I knew something fishy was going on.

(Heh… see what I did there… fishy… because mermaids are half… Ahem. Nevermind.)

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1126075]A-HA! Mystery solved. I knew something fishy was going on.

(Heh… see what I did there… fishy… because mermaids are half… Ahem. Nevermind.)[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh:

Dang, and I wanted the mermaid for my aquarium. They are pretty mean though, so that is probably not the best place for me to keep one.