Pre-Trip Wilderness Lodge Trip questions

I have been to WL many times, but I’m staying there for the first time this summer. Its me (Dad) and 2 sons, 8 and 6. So I’m rounding out some last minute plans. If you can answer any of these questions I’d be grateful.

[ol]
[li]Where is the laundry? Is there laundry at the villas outside of the room?[/li][li]Are there good lockers/changing rooms near the pool? Cost for lockers? I hate to be that wet family on the elevator.[/li][li]Any experience with in room dining or pizza?[/li][li]Is the trail to Fort Wilderness pretty easy or would I take a boat?[/li][li]Any reason to take the bus to Magic Kingdom?[/li][li]Whats a good location to request for a standard room?[/li][li]Hows the food at the territory lounge? Can you order from the artist point menu? I think I’ll put the kids into the cubs den for a night or two for a break and eat there. I don’t know if I want to sit alone at AP.[/li][li]Uncrowded pool times?[/li][/ol]

These are not ground breaking questions I know, but It bridges the gap until the trip. Then I’ll come back Disneyed out and not post for 3 months.

Al good questions! I want to know where the laundry is too, we’ll be staying there in November for the first time! I see your from Buffalo too,I’m about 40 minutes away from the city near Kissing bridge!:laugh:

I can answer a few of your questions, I haven’t stayed there during the summer only in the winter.

#2 - there are no lockers or changing areas at the pool. You’ll be the wet family on the elevator along with everyone else.

#4 - take the boat, it’s SUPER HOT in the summer.

#5 - Nope, take the boat the scenery is better.

Here’s a link to a map of the resort: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge map - wdwinfo.com

Hope this helps. I answered in RED

1.Where is the laundry? Is there laundry at the villas outside of the room?
Laundry in the Lodge is next to the Roaring Forks Cafe. In the Villas we have alwasy had one in the unit.

2.Are there good lockers/changing rooms near the pool? Cost for lockers? I hate to be that wet family on the elevator.No changing rooms by the pools. But I have seen folks change in the restrooms by the main pool. NOT very private to say the least.

3.Any experience with in room dining or pizza?Dinning was good in the room the one time we did it years ago. Never had the pizza since we have never had good pizza in WDW

4.Is the trail to Fort Wilderness pretty easy or would I take a boat?It is a very relaxing trail but can be a little long for youngsters. DW and I rent bikes and ride from the Lodge or Villas and around FW. Really relaxing way to spend down time

5.Any reason to take the bus to Magic Kingdom?It is a very quick 3-4 minute ride. We also do the boat if we are not in a rush. But the bus is quicker overall

6.Whats a good location to request for a standard room?We have never had what I would call a bad room. The best rooms for us are the first floor rooms. They have no rail restricting you on the patio.

7.Hows the food at the territory lounge? Can you order from the artist point menu? I think I’ll put the kids into the cubs den for a night or two for a break and eat there. I don’t know if I want to sit alone at AP.Lounge has its own menu. Ask about the AP menu and you might receive. But even a 2 top along the window is really nice for dinner at AP.

8.Uncrowded pool times?Only had a busy time at the lodge pool during the late midday period during the summer. If you are staying at the Villas the pool for that location is basically empty at all times.

Hope this helps. You will love either the Lodge or Villas, no matter where you are staying.

Thanks. Thats a very thorough set of answers.

Rooms I’ve had that were OK: 1134, 3134, 6019, 6020.
There are seventh floor rooms but those are club level.
There are a few other rooms I’ve had, but can’t recall numbers off hand.
They’re all fairly good actually, just some are much farther from the main lobby than others, but some of those are the closest to the pool and the dock.

I wouldn’t worry too much about pool crowding.

I feel that room service at WL is the most limited of all the deluxe resorts because they do not operate during the mid afternoon and I’m overall unsatisfied with Disney’s room service because none of the hotels offer hot food between midnight and 6 AM. That’s just me.

For the Magic Kingdom, always take the launch and not the bus. They run every 15 minutes or so (two launches are assigned each to WL and FW). There are three of the larger boats (Castaways class) and one little one (Navigator class). If you are in any sort of wheeled vehicle, the Castaways class boats are simple roll on/roll off, like the monorail. Unfortunately, wheeled vehicles can not use Navigator class boats, but the CMs will radio in that there is a special needs guest on the dock and they will divert a larger boat to the WL for those guests.
This is less an issue going to MK, but there is also a loop launch that serves the Contemporary, WL, and FW and this route is exclusively run using Navigators (there are 6 Navigators but only 3 Castaway’s) so guests can get to dining in the three resorts without resorting to multiple buses, plus, the dining in FW is located next to the dock and you can’t drive your car that far into FW, so you would need to take an internal shuttle bus anyway.

We stay in DVC, so we have always had access to laundry. I have never had a bad room as well. We are always that wet family coming in from the pool. We always take the launch to FW and MK, that part of the fun of staying there. The opportunity to not use the bus. I haven’t eaten in the lounge or Artist’s Point. Roaring forks was good, and I love Whispering Canyon.