Preparing kids for disney

going with my 3 kids(8,6,3) in december. anyone have any special things they do to include their kids in planning? any neat things you do before hand? thanks so much

we do a count down on a white board and decorate it with DWD pics

We have a countdown calender and also have individual Disney banks that the kids save into for the trip. We try to buy something for our trip every week or so even if it is something as simple as toothpaste and then put it in our carry-on or suitcase so we can watch them fill up in preparation for our trip.

thanks!!! when do you think i should start the “fun planning” with them? we are not going untill december

Friday Night Disney Movie Night is a fan favourite in our home
Also reading others TR on here is a great way to get excited for any upcoming Disney trip

We started last June for our trip this June LOL. The planning is as much fun as the trip itself, if you ask me!

Another thing we’ve been doing is playing Disney games. I found Disney Trivia, Disney Charades and Disney Monopoly at thrift stores and we pick one and play on Fridays many weeks.

Have a great time planning!

Get a planning video, and then have movie night. It is free, and it really makes you want to go…

My kids love reading Birnbaum’s Walt Disney World for Kids.

Every year that we are headed to disney (except this one cuz it’s a surprise…ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!) I have :angel:Postcard Pixies :angel: from this website send my son postcards from Disney and sign them from his favorite characters. I’ve even asked for specific messages (i.e, to reference that we were taking the train to Disney the last time or changed our original dates) to make it more personalized to him.

I’m actually kinda bummed that I can’t do that this year because of the surprise! I usually have 2 or 3 sent within the 6 months before the trip. He loved them and so did I!

[QUOTE=crazy4tink;1031038]Every year that we are headed to disney (except this one cuz it’s a surprise…ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!) I have :angel:Postcard Pixies :angel: from this website send my son postcards from Disney and sign them from his favorite characters. I’ve even asked for specific messages (i.e, to reference that we were taking the train to Disney the last time or changed our original dates) to make it more personalized to him.

I’m actually kinda bummed that I can’t do that this year because of the surprise! I usually have 2 or 3 sent within the 6 months before the trip. He loved them and so did I![/QUOTE]

Which website do you use for Postcard Pixies?

these are great ideas! thanks so much! i would also like to know where to get postcard pixies

This website has Postcard Pixies… you can just post a new thread or search for the original posting (search for “postcard pixies”). I just posted my own thread indicating that I was looking for a postcard pixie and got several responses from people who are traveling soon who were willing to oblige! I sent them the personal information (name, address, message) thru PM and viola… several weeks later, a postcard in the mailbox!

Here is the link for the Postcard Pixies thread: http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/mouse-trap/35265-postcard-pixies.html

Us too! My DD-9 wakes up every morning and marks off her Disney Day Count Down, she loves it!

We also go on line (about a month out) and we let her pick out any place she would like to eat either breakfast, lunch OR dinner (with in reason). That day becomes “Toni’s Day” and she gets to choose what park we go and so on. She really looks foward to planning that day with me.

Good luck!

We always used to do a Candy Jar Countdown. The kids would each decorate their jars with Disney stickers, etc. (one jar per kid saves a lot of fights). Then we’d fill the jars with the right amount of jelly beans, gummy bears, etc. whatever their choice was. Each day they’d eat a candy and when the jar is empty it’s time to go!

I love this idea!!

We do a countdown calendar (one calendar/child) and each day the kids put disney stickers on it to count down. We usually go around April and we start our calendars every New Year. It helps the kids understand when our vacation will start and avoid the…“when are we going?”

I also look for park maps and let the kids look at the maps to plan what they want to see.
I’ve also found parade and fireworks clips on youtube to share with the kids to get the excitement up and I have a short-cut to Stacey’s Countdown on my desktop that the kids love to watch!!

neat idea with the candy, my kids would love that!thanks for sharing

I love this idea! I’m going to do this one whenever we plan another trip!:happy:

I have a Disney Calendar countdown going now for our next trip late this month and also the 2 youngest DK’s have written down their “must do’s” and get to tell me one each day this month.

We did/do a countdown chain 60- days before the trip. We also…ok I mostly do all the planning. Now that my DD is older and to cool for school, we have schduled disney planning times…lol