Pressed coins vs. pin trading

Ok, hope I am not opening a big can of worms…But was wondering as to what different people thought about one vs. the other or do you do both.
And does anybody out there know how many different penny press machines are in WDW. Also, is there a list of where they all are if a person wanted to try to get one of each… Thank you all for your feedback and opinions…

As far it goes for me my girls and I love to do both and we do pressed pennies everywhere when we are on vacation it is wonderful keepsake that does not take up much room and can hold nice memories also…
As far as pin trading I have already decided the next trip the goal for both girls will be to get the cast member pins to spell their name out for me to put in ther pin case I am preparing to complete and hang in their rooms…I know my oldest it will go perfect there after all her whole room is in Cinderella right down to the masonite door…

Try this site, scroll down to Lake Buena Vista and click on links

PennyCollector.com - The official website for elongated pennies, penny books and penny machines

How much does the penny press cost?

$.50 per penny. I know there are a few quarter press machines, but I can’t recall how much they are.

[QUOTE=zoomaster;958122]Ok, hope I am not opening a big can of worms…But was wondering as to what different people thought about one vs. the other or do you do both.
And does anybody out there know how many different penny press machines are in WDW. Also, is there a list of where they all are if a person wanted to try to get one of each… Thank you all for your feedback and opinions…

As far it goes for me my girls and I love to do both and we do pressed pennies everywhere when we are on vacation it is wonderful keepsake that does not take up much room and can hold nice memories also…
As far as pin trading I have already decided the next trip the goal for both girls will be to get the cast member pins to spell their name out for me to put in ther pin case I am preparing to complete and hang in their rooms…I know my oldest it will go perfect there after all her whole room is in Cinderella right down to the masonite door…[/QUOTE]

We’ve always allowed the kids to do the penny press, it’s something they really look forward to. I’m not sure how many different presses there are, but there’s a lot. They sell penny press books at the resorts and the parks now, they’re great because they hold the penny’s nicely.

We just started pin trading, it’s fun, but a whole lot more expensive.

my kids did the pennies here and there but never really got into it. I do like the idea of the names spelled out in pins. We do pin trading also but again my youngest never really cares what everyone else is doing. If it was up to her she would collect the colorful mickey bracelets

I love doing the pressed pennies and the quarters. Alot of places now have the little machines. There is one at the top of the Empire State Building in NYC !

We do both. I really enjoy the penny presses. I filled up one book with pressed pennies and I know I am far from having them all. I am a novice pin trader, but I just look for what I like.

The first year we took our daughter she collected pressed pennies. We filled two books and even filled in some quarters! When we were done we were in for about $60 for 2 books and some pressed pennies. We laughed about it instead of crying, but she STILL looks at those pennies! Every trip after, we just bring a couple rolls of quarters AND ask the bank for new pennies…happy penny pressing!
Yes, they do have a “map” of all the machines! Not sure where to get it, but it is out there!!!

COOL I will have to find that it will help me out with trying to find out which ones my girls would like to get…I like to do pressed pennies also because it seems other item can come and go…but I have pennies around from several trips to different places and they the girls love to look at them and remember where they got them at…
But when at Disney the girls go nuts for the pins…I just know that I now try to figure out how many they each should get to trade and then there goes ebay time to find the best deal a pin lots the other problem there is it seems that when I get them in the mail we want to keep x amount so i have to remember to get a percentage more than i am planning on to account for the ones they want to keep as Well as the chip and dales that I keep…

We have done the pins for 3 years now and I am, frankly, pinned out. I like my classic Mickey pins, easy to trade, easy to find, but the kids drive me nuts looking at every CM’s pins…maybe pressed pennies is a good idea this trip…I’m sure we’ll do the pins, but maybe I can “shift the focus” onto penny collecting.

I have also seen a map somewhere…I liked it that it showed the penny presses at the different resorts, too, because we frequently go to the resorts for dinners…this gives the kids another purpose. Thanks for the tip, I will add it to our Trip Plan!

ATINKATHEART thank you. for the web address i was able to find thru it presscoins.com with a very up to date list of where and how many press coin areas there is …to get them all need a lllloooootttt of pennies and quarter rolls to get it done if you wanted them all.

I printed that list and then reduced it to 1/4 size, cut the pages down in size, stapled them together and stuck it in the backpack. As my son presses the pennies I check them off on the list. After a couple of trips we had no idea what we had and didn’t have so we needed a way to keep track as we pressed. We leave the list in he backpack from trip to trip so we always have it.

I’m trying to imagine the “can of worms” this could open. Do people fight about this?

I mean, yeah, it’s clear that the pressed penny collectors are morally superior, but they’re magnanimous enough not to look down on the pin traders… :laugh:

I always like pressing pennies but we aren’t fanatical about it. I like to make mine into magnets when we get home.

That is a really cute idea Cinderbella. Maybe I will borrow it and make pressed penny magnets as souvenirs for the 16 girls at work that all want a souvenir from disney

Hey, I’m stealing that idea! :pirate:

Last trip we started both! Pin collecting is much more expensive! My girls love doing the pennies!

Haha borrow away! I stole that idea from someone on here a long time ago!:laugh:

Our family does both. I’m strickly into the pins but my daughter likes the pressed penny machines better. Room for both here. :wink: