Pros and Cons

Okay so now we are AP’s and I was curious about the DVC. Can some of you members out there give me the pros and cons about being a member? I really have no clue how this works at all.

We like it because it takes care of our rooming and saves money with the kitchens. The fact we can pass it along to the mini-mice is pretty cool, too.

I’ve been a DVC member since 2000. Joining DVC is one of the best decisions we ever made. I would highly recommend that you take the DVC tour next time you are in Disney, and they explain the program. They do NOT do a “hard sell”. They just give you the information. Sometimes I hear you get some kind of perk for just going on the tour (like fastpasses, or a Disney Gift card). So it is well worth your time. You also get to tour the rooms to see what you can get. We fell in love immediatly.

I know there is a thread on here that explains how DVC works. I will try to locate it and post it here.

For us, the biggest pros:
We get to stay in Deluxe resorts for a fraction of the cost. We would never be able to stay at Bay Lake Towers or the Boardwalk, etc if we had to pay $300/night for a studio, or $700/night for a suite. Our membership lasts until 2042, and we’ve already gotten more than 3 times the value from what we paid (if you add up all the vacations we have taken so far). And we still have 32 more years - it feels like we will be vacationing for FREE!

Discounts on annaul passes and other events.

Discounts on meals and merchandise.

If you get a 1 or 2 bedroom suite, you have a washer and dryer in your room, along with a full kitchen and refigerator.

The only con I have:
you don’t get mousekeeping every day (unless you pay extra). Depending on the length of stay, the mousekeepers come every 3 or so days. You don’t get new towels every day. You can pay extra for that though…and we often do.

This is just the tip of the iceberg…there are really so many benifits to DVC - we LOVE it! I’m always available if you have any questions.

I couldn’t find the Mousebuzz thread…but I did find this ariticle - it has a lot of great information…

Buying DVC (More Mouse) by Tony Phoenix

Good LUCK!! I hope to hear I have a new neighbor soon!

How much did you all have to pay in for your initial investment? I’ve heard different amounts. I think that’s probably the biggest reason more people don’t do it, but I can definitely understand why Disney would want to make sure you have enough financial stability to afford a big down-payment, so-to-speak, and can afford the payments thereafter.

We got into DVC pretty early, and our initial investment was approximatly $15000 for 250 points. We had to put down $500 deposit, and the we financed the rest over 10 years. We paid the loan off early, so that we weren’t hit with such heavy interest. We were young when we purchased, and didn’t get a great interest rate.

The cost per point is closer to $115/point now - so it would be much more expensive…but if you vacation at Disney a lot, and you like to stay in the deluxe accomodations on property, you will get more than your moneys worth.

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1031492]We got into DVC pretty early, and our initial investment was approximatly $15000 for 250 points. We had to put down $500 deposit, and the we financed the rest over 10 years. We paid the loan off early, so that we weren’t hit with such heavy interest. We were young when we purchased, and didn’t get a great interest rate.

The cost per point is closer to $115/point now - so it would be much more expensive…but if you vacation at Disney a lot, and you like to stay in the deluxe accomodations on property, you will get more than your moneys worth.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize they let you finance the biggest part of the initial investment.

Yes, I believe we only put $500 down also, and then financed the rest. Rates are not good with the financing. We just did that out of convenience until I get an equity cashline set up and then will pay loan off with that, having a much lower rate. They work with you and explain all your options. We never felt pressured what so ever. I think the entire purchase took 30 minutes from when we said yes, to walking out the door as DVC members. Absolutely loved our decision. As much as we go to Disney, it’s a good choice for us.

The best advice I can give yo is plan for the future and buy big. We started w/200 points, but as the children grew up, we found another 200 points would be a good idea. So we have 2 contracts and the second was more expensive.

Look into the re-sale outlets available. Maybe you can buy someones remaining contract cheaper.

If you don’t know much about DVC take tour on your next trip. After that read all you can and ask a lot of questions. There is a DVC referral thread if you have already taked to a DVC guide. Many of us love our guides and love to share them, plus there’s a referral bonus through DVC if you give a member’s name on you first call.

We love our DVC and feel it was the right move for us. We always tried to stay at deluxe resorts and DVC made that more affordable.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1031573]The best advice I can give yo is plan for the future and buy big. We started w/200 points, but as the children grew up, we found another 200 points would be a good idea. So we have 2 contracts and the second was more expensive.

Look into the re-sale outlets available. Maybe you can buy someones remaining contract cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Same here…we added points in 2006 at a much higher rate - but still well worth it. We have 300 total now, and we really would like another 100 - 200. We also like to invite others to join us, and if we had more points, we could do that more often.

Pros

If you plan on using it regularly and do the math, it is a great way to take Disney vacations and stay onsite at top notch resorts for a fracton of the cash price. There are many extra perks that come with DVC as well. The offsite resorts are a nice change-up, and though I haven’t used any yet the non-Disney options look good too.

Cons

If you don’t use it, then it doesn’t make sense.