Purchasing a membership at a resort not currently selling?

Can you buy into a resort that is not currently selling? I think the one I’d really be interested in is Beach Club. How would this work? BLT would be my second choice.

Thanks for all your help and for bearing with me and all my questions!

I don’t own DVC but I remember that DisneyTeacher wanted to purchase at a resort that was no longer selling and she was put on a wait list. Once points became available there she could purchase DVC. You’d have to ask her the specifics about it though.

On Allearsnet they have a DVC resale program in which you could buy for a lesser cost someone’s Beach Club DVC points they no longer need or want. It is a great program I would look into it if you really want to be at Beach Club. The only thing is you wouldn’t get any incentives but it would be worth the cost savings to purchase the value at a lower cost-IMO. Good Luck!!

I have never bought at a resort that was already closed to sales BUT I have looked at several of the resale websites like DVC Resales / Disney Vacation Club / The Timeshare Store, Inc.. If you are interested in buying re-sale I have to say you are in a super advantagious position right now b/c TONS of people are trying to sell their memberships. Unfortunately, with too many people losing their jobs & a bad ecomony people are getting rid of stuff like DVC first. I was shocked to see HOW many memberships were listed on that site I posted! 33 for Beach Club alone! Yikes!

I know KingOfMiami bought points through one of these resale companies, hopefully he’ll pop in here.

Tara, Jess contacted me and told me about this thread. Vanna and I bought VWL via resale and we are very happy with out purchase. Keep in mind with buying direct through Disney you have to buy a set number of points (200 for BLT/AKV and 160 for the other DVC resorts). Plus in your case since you like BCV, the chances of being able to readily get points through Disney is minimal.

The worst thing to have contend with resale is Disney’s Right of First Refusal. You have to balance the point contract and the price. If the price is too low, Disney has first option to buy that contract back.

We bought through TSS but there are other reputable resellers. If you should be interested in researching the resale route, please PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Thanks for posting this thread! My DH and I have been tossing the idea of DVC around and I was wondering the same thing. We would really like BCV or BWV. BLT is also up there, but not our first choice.
Thanks Wish for posting your link- I’m going to check it out now!:mickey:

Princess my offer goes to you. I don’t know how many of the MB members bought resale. I think most bought direct. Ask questions and I will be happy to answer what I can.

You have 2 options buying at a “sold out” resort.

DVC gets a limited number of contracts back, which they will sell. You can also purchase resale. There are a number of places which sell DVC.

The biggest difference between buying direct vs resale is price, which often isn’t as great as it first appears - difference in closing cost can often eat up a lot of the difference in the two, especially when you consider sales incentives offered when buying direct.

Another thing to consider is resale is mainly a cash transaction. But you can buy smaller contracts and add on. Once you are a member, you can buy as few as 25 points additional add on.

They are offering some GREAT incentives now with member referrals. Right now a member referral can mean as much as $16 discount! Or $8 and a Disney cruise! Be sure to get a referral from me (PM or email) or one of the other MB members who are DVC members.

We bought at BCV through DVC, even though it was a “sold out” resort. At the time, it was worth it to purchase through DVC directly for a few reasons, but especially since we didn’t have to pay closing costs as DVC paid those.

Now, as Wish mentioned, many people are trying to sell their DVC points through various websites. Just be careful if you go this route.

Great info everyone! Thanks so much! I’ll go check out that website and then discuss it all with a guide in WDW when we’re there.

TaraRae – We desperately wanted Boardwalk Villas, and we put in a request through DVC and it took our guide only about a week or so to find the perfect start year and the perfect # of points for us! It was NOT a long wait, and we were so very happy! Best thing we’ve ever purchased, actually – especially after spending a luxurious Christmas vacation in a huge villa with nothing to pay at check out!

OH wow, I had no idea they can find you something so quickly. If that’s the case then I think I would definately do it through Disney. I would not want to pay any closing costs or have to sweat out a “Right of Refusal” through a resale company.

Interesting. Are the prices going to be pretty comparable buying directly through DVC as buying through a resale company after closing costs and such? I hate the thought of closing costs as well. That’s just more money up front!

We were told it could take some time to get BCV points but it really didn’t take that long. We waited 3 months for the right number of points and use year to come through but had we not been so picky we could have had points even sooner. BWV and VWL both had points waiting for people to buy, we could have had bought in that day had we wanted either of those resorts.

I did the math when we bought in and it was only a tiny bit better to buy resale compared to buying through DVC. By the time we added in closing costs it was pretty close. We also got the current points, a lot of the contracts up for sale won’t have the current use year of points and many have points borrowed from the next year as well.

When we bought in last year there were no closing costs on sold out resorts when you go through DVC.

We also didn’t have to wait for ROFR and all the other stuff. It was worth paying a little bit more to not deal with that, we were in the system the day our points came through. We could have booked a reservation that night had we wanted to.

My guide actually found us 200 points at BCV in 3 days!! :mickey:

A caveat to my post yesterday…we bought resale because we could not afford the minimum buy in that Disney requires. For us the closing costs were worth it for us because we bought a 50 point contract. At the time the minimum buy in for Disney was 150 points. $10k difference made it a no brainer for us.

If you are able to afford to buy direct through Disney, by all means go for it. As rlcarmichael put it, once you are in you are a full member regardless of the number of points. For adding in, we would most likely go direct through Disney for the future. Although it will be a long time away before we add on.

Either way, if you do have questions about resale, I am here to help as best I can

[QUOTE=KingOMiami;949558]A caveat to my post yesterday…we bought resale because we could not afford the minimum buy in that Disney requires. For us the closing costs were worth it for us because we bought a 50 point contract. At the time the minimum buy in for Disney was 150 points. $10k difference made it a no brainer for us.

If you are able to afford to buy direct through Disney, by all means go for it. As rlcarmichael put it, once you are in you are a full member regardless of the number of points. For adding in, we would most likely go direct through Disney for the future. Although it will be a long time away before we add on.

Either way, if you do have questions about resale, I am here to help as best I can[/QUOTE]

Good to know! The minimum point thing could be an issue for us too simply because I doubt we’ll use them all! And, I’m going to have to do some fast talking to get DH to agree in the first place! :laugh: He’d be much more likely to go for 100 points than 160!

Tara – I have no idea how big of an issue it is, but I understand that DVC does stop resale contracts if they are too beneficial. I am sure someone will pop in here and say whether it is a big deal or not.