Question about a problem with splitting the Dining Plan Payment

I just got off the phone with DVC Member Services and Saratoga Springs directly, and I’m a bit confused and irritated.

Here is the setup: My family (of 5) is arriving at WDW on June 1st. We spend two nights at the BWV. Then on June 3rd, some friends we invited to join us arrive (family of four) and we move over to SSR (the treehouses, yea!!). DVC has these set up as two separate reservations. We are getting the dining plan on both, so we will pay for the BWV one and have 2 nights worth of credits that expire at midnight on June 3rd (the day we check out of BWV).

Here is my issue: my friend has rewards points from his Disney Visa card he wants to use towards paying his share of the dining plan–his share will cost maybe $50 more than the points he has. We will already be in the parks on June 3rd when our friends arrive in Orlando and go to SSR on the Magical Express. DVC told me that the first person to check in at SSR would need to pay the full amount of the Dining Plan for everyone. I asked Member Services if once he had paid it, if he and I could go to the front desk and have them take my share from my credit card and reimburse his. They thought so, but weren’t sure. I then called SSR directly and was told that my friend could not pay for the dining plan, it had to be me since the reservation was in my name. They also said that once it was paid, they could not ‘split’ the bill and refund one of us.

They seem to be making this harder than it should be (or maybe I am…hard to say at this point). It seems like the resort should be able to handle the different forms of payment instead of putting the burden on my friend and I to “settle up”. My DW and I came up with 2 solutions, but not sure what we think is best. 1) See if my friend can pay and then we reimburse him in cash/check (even though I’d like to earn the points on my Disney Visa) or 2) since his share is more than his rewards points, I pay for the dining plan and then have him give us his rewards card plus any additional for his share (downside is they would let him check in, but he wouldn’t have any meal credits for Artist’s Pallette, etc, until I got to the resort later that day, probably after dinner).

Do any of you have ideas or had to deal with this situation? How have you dealt with things when you have multi-family stays or rented your DVC points to others?

I think if you are both there at the same time to pay for it they will take multiple forms of payment and you can be happy.

Can they not take payment over the phone for the dining plan? If they will maybe you can use the different cards for whatever amount you want on each.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;933808]I think if you are both there at the same time to pay for it they will take multiple forms of payment and you can be happy.

Can they not take payment over the phone for the dining plan? If they will maybe you can use the different cards for whatever amount you want on each.[/QUOTE]

When checking in with a DVC ressie, it is paid at check in.

I think you should both be there to check in at the same time so you can both pay for it with multiple forms of payment, if you can swing it.

If not, I’d go for the option that you pay for the whole thing (to accrue Disney Visa points), have your friend give you the Gift Card and whatever balance is due and be done with it.

On our 1st trip with DVC we had guests with us and they allowed us to pay separately for the DDP. They processed the other person’s payment then ours and it was no problem.

This trip should be interesting because DW, DS, & I are arriving by car but the rest of our travel party are taking the train down and we will probably all be arriving separately so I’ll have to see what happens…

It is a confusing situation. I would make it as easy on WDW as possible so you don’t have CC errors later. they are not going to do an unnecessary credit to anyone charge card…I see their point unfortunately as I would not do it either. You are all staying together on the second part of the reservation?? If that is so, I can see where you would need to be present. the meal credits are for nights you are there not counting the days, so just have him pay OPP for the day he arrives and he will have credits to use on his departure day instead of being out of them.

Unfortunately, they are leaving first thing in the morning on the departure day to catch their flight, so we may end up losing some meal credits. They should get to the resort around 1pm, and we are trying to avoid having to leave MK and come back just to meet them and check in if we can.