Question about Buttons

When I booked our vacation they asked if we had anything we are celebrating. We will be there for my Mom and Dad’s Anniversary and for my Dad’s 65th Birthday. We told them to announce their celebration on the actual day of the event. Do they bring out a cake for that? Is there a way to get a cake instead of the dessert for our DDP?

I’m confused by this button thing. Are they both given buttons to wear for each event? What are the buttons for? Just decoration or do they mean something else. We are counting this as our 15th Anniversary celebration but we won’t be there over the actual date, so I guess it wouldn’t be right to get a button for that (Although I would love one to commemorate it!)

I wish there was something we could celebrate for our kids. They would love to get something special like that. Too bad there isn’t a “3rd trip to WDW” celebration button. :happy:

Any information regarding the celebrations, buttons etc. or stories of how you’ve made birthdays and celebrations special would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Eery year we “happen” to be in disney for my sons birthday. He gets a birthday button, cool souvenir! He wears it every day of the trip, even though every day of the trip is not his birthday. The button just lets cast members know they are celebrating something special, sometimes they get a little extra attention. If it is an anniversary, they both can get one…And if you are “celebrating” your anniversary, I would think it would be ok to get one for you guys as well…

As far as cakes you can order a cake to be served at a restaurant but they cost extra money, you can call the cake hotlines…for the restaurant you want. I have the numbers just have to look for them, Mickeysgirlz gave them all to me!

Anyone who is celebrating an event can ask for a button. It doesn’t get you anything but some CMs may go out of their way to say happy birthday or congratulations but don’t expect a free cake. However, you can order a cake by calling WDW, the prices aren’t bad and they can personalize it.

You can ask for the button at any Disney resort front desk or at guest serviced in the parks. You will have to ask for it, I would be surprised if it was offered w/o asking.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1011695]Anyone who is celebrating an event can ask for a button. It doesn’t get you anything but some CMs may go out of their way to say happy birthday or congratulations but don’t expect a free cake. However, you can order a cake by calling WDW, the prices aren’t bad and they can personalize it.

You can ask for the button at any Disney resort front desk or at guest serviced in the parks. You will have to ask for it, I would be surprised if it was offered w/o asking.[/QUOTE]

When we book our reservation, we specify that we are celebrating my sons birthday and they always have the button at the resort in our welcome package!:laugh:

But NO FREE cakes, but the ones they make are AMAZING…We ordered a slipper and a treasure chest for our upcoming trip.

[QUOTE=jenbarnwell;1011697]When we book our reservation, we specify that we are celebrating my sons birthday and they always have the button at the resort in our welcome package!:laugh:

But NO FREE cakes, but the ones they make are AMAZING…We ordered a slipper and a treasure chest for our upcoming trip.[/QUOTE]

Really? Maybe that’s new with the current celebration. We’ve always had to ask for them. Other than our stay at Hilton Head Island, we haven’t celebrated anything at WDW since this new promo started. I like that it’s included in your welcome folder, it’s one less thing to take care of.

Thanks so much for the help. I’ve added that to my “To do” list now. I’ve got some tweaking to do to our vacation since I found this forum. I’m amazed at all the great tips I am getting from you all. I appreciate it so much!

THey don’t have a “3rd trip to Disney” button, BUT…last year I took my friend and her 3 kids for their “1st Disney Visit” and we stopped at City Hall in MK and they all got buttons. I asked if they had something to give my kids so they didn’t feel left out, and they gave them a Disney button…Just a generic one, but that way they didn’t feel left out.

As far as the cake goes, I think there is a basic cake you can order at just about any restaurant when you arrive, but if you want something special you would have to order in advance

It might be new…when we went in December they had our family reunion buttons in my welcome folder and I didn’t have to ask for it either. The woman was handing me my folder and said, “Oh, I almost forgot your button”. I was just about to ask for one, so it was nice that I didn’t have to.

I would suggest ordering a cake. They are delicious! Here’s the number for the hotline. 1-407-824-1089

Is there a website where I can see pictures of the different cakes? Is it the same site as the flower site for special occasions?

There are a couple of places where you may get a free dessert or something. I know when we were there for my birthday last month I received a free dessert (we did not use the DDP for this snack). I also know that you get a HUGE and LOUD birthday song if you go to Cosmic Rays. If your DS will enjoy the attention go for it, and I agree everyday. But, if he does not like the attention (like me) leave that thing in the room!

We celebrated our anniversary this past year at WDW and since both the adults had pins the CM at check-in gave our DD a “Celebrate” pin. She loved it! If all the adults get pins, I’d be surprised if the CM doesn’t offer pins to the children automatically.

We have gotten a couple of special things for our son for his birthday, at 1900 Park Farethey gave him a placemat with the characters on it and they were signed and they brought out a special dessert…At Crystal Palace he got a card with generic signatures on it and they put "mickey heads all over the table. Also once in the resort room when we came back from the park mousekeeping left a signed mickey card and two balloons. Coral Reef did a special dessert for him…A couple of other as well, just can’t think of them. One place he was given a crown…

Oh yeah, you get a card and a special dessert from the chef at Boma.

This is great to know. Maybe I’ll call and ask what they can do for the three kids since the four adults will all be getting celebratory buttons for Anniversary and Birthday. Thanks for all the info!

You could just come up with something with your kids to celebrate. When you get to DW they could get buttons that say “I’m Celebrating” and it would be your own little thing that they are celebrating.

I was going to mention the “I’m Celebrating!” buttons too. I took a trip with some friends a few months ago for a birthday. The birthday boy got a birthday button, and the rest of us got “I’m Celebrating!” buttons to wear with him. It made us all feel like we were part of the party. :happy: